Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Series Discussion Thread

What is your favorite Ultima game?

• Total voters

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I guess I've got some gripes with simplistic if it overstays its welcome. If it's scarce enough that I don't get bored by the repetition of dumb AI or poorly designed combat, I can bear it.
Moonring pulled off "simplistic" in a satisfying manner. If tired of combat, one could also avoid it some way or another during most of the final dungeons.
Didn't see your previous comment, will read about Realms of Quest to see what it is about.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In this video you can see a small documentary about Origin Systems from 1993. Richard Garriott talks about himself, his company Origin Systems, his previous Ultima Games and Ultima 7. Other developers from Origin Systems also have their say and talk about Ultima 7. In my opinion, this creative phase of Richard Garriott at that time was the absolute highlight of his career. With Ultima 7 he created the best Ultima Game ever and has set a monument for himself with this role-playing game.

manifest

Educated
Skald, while entertaining, failed to deliver Ultima levels of complexity, and I've already beaten Moonring. Are there any other modern takes on the Ultima formula worth playing? Ideally with the QoL one'd expect from a contemporary rehash of a proven idea.
Have you tried Driftmoon? It's unfortunately ARPG but otherwise quite charming.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ultima VII could have been better
Full Turn based tactical combat and not that shit the game gave us.

Driftmoon? This?

Last edited:
I like the game's perspective, there are too many isometric games already. Just give us turn based combat with full party control(I can dream, can't I?)

MjKorz

Educated
I wish at least some of these games were on Steam just like how the Dark Savant trilogy Wizardries are.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://forgottenworld.ultimacodex.com/2024/08/30/ultima-ix-patches-project-recruitment/
2024-08-29 Ultima IX Patches Project – Recruitment

Editor-RemakeU9Screenshot.png

Hail and well met Ultima Fans.

The Ultima IX Patches Project has made significant progress over the years, but its development has been the work of just one individual (myself) ever since the tools were sufficiently developed to begin fixing the game. This work has included all testing. It has been a huge endeavor to fix bugs, test them, and then repeat this over and over until the bug is actually fixed – followed by performing final testing. U9 patching has been sluggish, particularly as time has been more limited for many of the recent years.

In order to ensure the U9 Patches Project to reach completion, I am calling out for individuals open to assisting in this patching project as testers and/or game script editors. Your work would focus on testing and/or editing game world scripts using Python-based custom written tools. World objects and their properties may be manipulated/added through our Ogre3D editor as part of these fixes. Terrain and Water editing is not fully supported. Note: Dialogue scripts and Graphics Engine Bugs/crash are not possible to directly fix.

If you are interested or have questions regarding joining, please contact me at FW Email or at the Ultima Dragon’s Discord.

Iceblade Dragon

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
https://forgottenworld.ultimacodex.com/2024/08/30/ultima-ix-patches-project-recruitment/
2024-08-29 Ultima IX Patches Project – Recruitment

Editor-RemakeU9Screenshot.png

Hail and well met Ultima Fans.

The Ultima IX Patches Project has made significant progress over the years, but its development has been the work of just one individual (myself) ever since the tools were sufficiently developed to begin fixing the game. This work has included all testing. It has been a huge endeavor to fix bugs, test them, and then repeat this over and over until the bug is actually fixed – followed by performing final testing. U9 patching has been sluggish, particularly as time has been more limited for many of the recent years.

In order to ensure the U9 Patches Project to reach completion, I am calling out for individuals open to assisting in this patching project as testers and/or game script editors. Your work would focus on testing and/or editing game world scripts using Python-based custom written tools. World objects and their properties may be manipulated/added through our Ogre3D editor as part of these fixes. Terrain and Water editing is not fully supported. Note: Dialogue scripts and Graphics Engine Bugs/crash are not possible to directly fix.

If you are interested or have questions regarding joining, please contact me at FW Email or at the Ultima Dragon’s Discord.

Iceblade Dragon
This is fake news. 7-2 was tragically the last Ultima.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Wow! https://exult.sourceforge.io/
Exult releases version 1.10

We seem to be now in a roughly two year rhythm of releases, so here we go:
A much needed update of Exult and Exult Studio.
Much needed as we fixed a crash when entering combat pretty soon after the 1.8 release and of course people encounter this again and again.

But we fixed much more since the 1.8 release:

• The Android port is now fully working
  • The Windows installer now offers to install several mods
  • New Volume Mixer to set individual volumes for music, sfx and speech
  • Cheat Screen overhauled so the options can now be activated by clicking or touching
  • Much improved combat:
    • Default attack mode “nearest” and attack mode “random” will try to select an enemy that is not already targeted by a party member
    • Faking defend by selecting weakest enemy when low health, nearest otherwise
    • more blood
  • Better detecting of clicks on gumps over the shortcutbar to prevent accidental triggering of a shortcut
  • mt32emu driver resampling fix
  • Endgames now wait for ingame speech to finish
  • Background sound effect music tracks are less annoying and disabled for FMOpl music driver
  • Music looping improved
  • Exult Studio allows zooming of the shapes view
  • Fixed a crash when swapping weapons in combat
  • Fixed random crash on sleeping past midnight in Britain
  • Attacking locked doors did not work
  • Immobile NPCs were able to move (e.g. Reapers)
  • Enemies poison now
You can find the Android, Windows and macOS releases on our download page.
Please play with it and tell us of any problem you encounter using the Github discussion page or bug tracker.

Ultima VI remake mod

Last year the Ultima VI Remake project finally released their mod that remade Ultima VI with the Exult engine and Ultima VII graphics. That's quite a feat, so check it out. The mod is available on our download page and our Exult installer for Windows offers to install it.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Ultima 5
How can I rest/camp to restore hit points? I am using Hole up for 9 hours at outfield, but the result is only: No effect. But sometimes it is working.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Ultima 5
How can I rest/camp to restore hit points? I am using Hole up for 9 hours at outfield, but the result is only: No effect. But sometimes it is working.
It is generally only effective once a day. If you rest too frequently, it doesn't do anything other than waste time.

It also doesn't work if your rest is too short. 8 hours is my rule of thumb.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Probably should have created a shared xp or scale of xp for damage inflicted since U3. So, it becomes individual grinding.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Ultima V
Is it true?
- Who, he makes the killing blow, gets only XP?
- If he kills by using magic, he gets no XP?
Killing blow, yes.

Magic, I never noticed. I presumed he got the XP, but I don't know as I tend not to use magic.
I tried it. Using only Grav Por magic missiles, for the killing cast Toshi HAS GOT the 4XP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom