Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

Spukrian

Savant
Hey, I found this streamer who streams UU1 once every week. Pretty interesting!

https://www.twitch.tv/xstygianabyssx/videos

He's currently playing without using weapons or armour. Quite effective, I played UU2 like that.

EDIT: He has youtube channel, where he was narrating/larping the game.

Last edited:

Reader

Scholar
I am playing UU1 right now. I have couple of questions.
1. How exactly Lore skill works? I raised it from 0 to 17 then i "looked" at various items in my posession. The only difference i saw was that Taper became Taper of Sacrifice, which i knew without this skill. Not much even from RP standpoint. What is the actual benefit of Lore skill?
2. I only begun to explore fifth level of the abyss but my level is 12 already. Considering that max lvl is 16, isn't leveling too fast?..

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I am playing UU1 right now. I have couple of questions.
1. How exactly Lore skill works? I raised it from 0 to 17 then i "looked" at various items in my posession. The only difference i saw was that Taper became Taper of Sacrifice, which i knew without this skill. Not much even from RP standpoint. What is the actual benefit of Lore skill?

The Lore skill increases your chance of successfully identifying an item for what it is.

The problem is... I'm not 100% how the skill works. But basically a 'Lore check' is made against each item, and if passed then the game reveals more about the item. For example you may have a Dagger of Unsurpassed Precision or somesuch. If your Lore skill is too low, it'll just say 'Dagger'. If your Lore skill is higher, it may say 'magical dagger', until you finally have a high enough Lore skill to learn that it is a Dagger of Unsurpassed Precision.

I think that the Lore-skill requirement for these tidbits of info to be revealed is always a fixed number, meaning either you will know, or you will not. Try again later when you have a higher Lore-skill. By contrast, the Search skill adds a chance-based modifier of success to a roll, meaning you can 'Search' the same piece of wall several times until you find the hidden door/switch.

You will eventually find someone who is willing to identify items for you... for a price. So it's not super-important to put points into Lore.

2. I only begun to explore fifth level of the abyss but my level is 12 already. Considering that max lvl is 16, isn't leveling too fast?..

It levels out a bit, meaning that at higher levels you'll get skill points several times between level gains. But yeah, in an extensive playthrough of Ultima Underworld (both games) players will reach the level cap.

Cael

Arcane
Remember in UU2, the level cap means nothing. Skill points continue to go up as you gain XP. There is effectively no cap on skill point gain.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone know how the probability works for skill increases? It might be my imagination, but it seems like it's weighted towards the skills that you haven't invested into, like it's pulling cards out of a deck. My Attack is at 30 and I'm guessing I'll never see it increase again.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The Skill System[edit]
The skill system in Ultima Underworld is based on a 0 to 30 range for skill values. Attempts to use non-combat skills have a certain probability of success and every point the Avatar has in the relevant skill adds one chance in 30 to this probability. The base difficulty might vary from task to task; each locked door has its own difficulty of picking, each type of creature has a certain chance to be detected by Track and so forth; but it is generally the case that 1 point of skill adds 1 chance in 30 to the chance of success.

Combat works somewhat differently. Each creature type has a certain chance to hit and be hit in combat. Assuming the Avatar swings in a monster's general vicinity, the chance to hit increases by 1 to 30 units (as many units as half the Attack skill plus the specific weapon skill), while the chance to avoid being hit increases (also by 1 to 30 units) by the Defense skill plus half the weapon skill.

When the Avatar trains in a skill, the number of skill points gained depends somewhat on the value of the underlying ability score (Strength for combat skills, Intelligence for magic skills and Dexterity for all other skills). Skills tend to advance very quickly until they reach equal to half of the underlying ability score, then advance more slowly until the same value as the ability score is reached, and then advance very slowly thereafter.

Combat Skills[edit]
Combat skills are the most important in both games. While it is absolutely needed to train Attack and Defense, it is best to specialize on only one weapon type and stick with it. It has to be added that the weapons are not balanced: missile weapons are far too weak, useless if stronger enemies come into melee range and need ammunition. While unarmed combat is possible, it is not ideal.

Attack[edit]
Description: the more points, the more effective the Avatar is in hitting and hurting opponents. Adds 1/2 its value to the odds to hit in combat, with all weapons.

UU1 mantra: RA

UU2 trainer(s): Geoffrey

Comments: while it is useful, it is a very poor choice, cost wise, to invest skill points here. This is because it adds only 1/2 to Attack odds per point; a weapon skill adds 1 per point to the odds, and adds 1/2 per point to Defense to boot. It is better to pick one weapon skill and investing solely in that. 30 points spent on attack would cost only 15 points on a weapon skill for the same to-hit bonus, leaving 15 points to spend on other skills.

Defense[edit]
Description: It determines how big the chance of stopping a blow is, while not swinging the weapon.

UU1 mantra: ANRA

UU2 trainer(s): Geoffrey

Comments: increases defense at a 1-to-1 ratio (twice that of a weapon skill). This and a weapon skill are the only ways to make one harder to hit.

Sword[edit]
Description: Together with Attack and Defense, this skill determines how well the Avatar can use sword weapons.

UU1 mantra: AMO

UU2 trainer(s): Syria, Lobar (is better than Syria)

Comments: thanks to the imbalance of weapons, with Caliburn in UU1 and the Sword of Stone Strike in UU2, it is the most useful weapons skill, also because many good swords are available early. Also, in UU2, the trainer Lobar is special, in that he always adds 1 more point to the sword skill, on top of however many points you would normally gain. This makes sword the easiest weapon skill to maximize.

Mace[edit]
Description: the are several types of maces, with the "Mace of Undead Bane" being one of the best.

UU1 mantra: KOH

UU2 trainer(s): Dupre, fighters in Pits of Carnage (after getting respect)

Comments: this is a real alternative to swords, should one ignore the "Sword of Stone Strike".

Axe[edit]
Description: The strongest axe available is the Axe of Firedoom, which should only be used while wearing the Leather Vest of Flameproof.

UU1 mantra: GAR

UU2 trainer(s): Dupre, fighters in Pits of Carnage (after gaining their respect)

Comments: this is a real alternative to swords, should one ignore the "Sword of Stone Strike".

Missile[edit]
Description:

UU1 mantra: FAHM

UU2 trainer(s): Iolo

Comments: missile weapons are not any good; see the notes at the top of the category.

Unarmed[edit]
Description:

UU1 mantra: ORA

UU2 trainer(s): Syria, Garg

Comments: unarmed combat is sheer desperation. While survival is possible, this skill should be ignored.
Via Ultima Underworld wikia

Cael

Arcane
Does anyone know how the probability works for skill increases? It might be my imagination, but it seems like it's weighted towards the skills that you haven't invested into, like it's pulling cards out of a deck. My Attack is at 30 and I'm guessing I'll never see it increase again.
1. Skill point gain depends on your current skill level. The higher it is, the less you get per train. There is some randomness involved, but the long term trend is as you say.
2. 30 is max in any skill or stat.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
A nice summary of the weapon skills, but I disagree with their opinions on Unarmed; it is not "sheer desperation".

Sure, it is lesser than almost all of the other weapon groups, but it has two notable advantages that none of the other weapon groups offer: No encumbrance, and no repair maintenance required.

I'm aware that the latter point get rendered moot by the 'Repair Item'-spell, which is why Unarmed is a more viable choice for UU1 than UU2.

Cael

Arcane
A nice summary of the weapon skills, but I disagree with their opinions on Unarmed; it is not "sheer desperation".

Sure, it is lesser than almost all of the other weapon groups, but it has two notable advantages that none of the other weapon groups offer: No encumbrance, and no repair maintenance required.

I'm aware that the latter point get rendered moot by the 'Repair Item'-spell, which is why Unarmed is a more viable choice for UU1 than UU2.
UU1 has Caliburn, which basically made any weapon skill other than Sword a bit redundant.

So far I have been enjoying UUW2 even more than 1, probably due to how different each world you visit is as well as more interesting quests and dialogue.
Interesting. The different worlds were exactly one of the main points that made UUW2 unplayable for me: The world doesn't feel organic, realistic, coherent anymore. In UUW1 I felt like the nameless outcast (thank God the dropped the Ultima-references) stumbling in a godforsaken dungeon, deeper and deeper, discovering the different cultures and piece by piece, stone by stone finding out about the sad and melancholic story of Sir Cabirus' fallen Utopia. The whole world takes part in this story telling, mirrors aspects of it, every ruin is meaningful, every new plane of the massive dungeon tells part of it. I felt like being there and from the moment the gate closed behind me I knew it was about survival.
In UUW2 on the other hand the story itself felt rather ludicrous and unfitting for Ultima (why the hell did they even feel the need to bring in Ultima?) it wasn't able to hold all these wildly different places together in a meaningful way. Unforunately I was never able to get over that, maybe if I persisted I could have enjoyed the game but after the monolithic, once-in-a-lifetime experience UUW1 was for me I simply couldn't. Maybe now, years later, I should try it again...

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I finally got Roland MT-32 emulation working on the Linux version of DOSBox so I can play Underworld 1&2 with proper music. Turns out, all you have to do is follow the instructions on Munt's DOSBox patch page on their github. Some may laugh at me for being a stupid techlet and not getting this sooner but hey, it works now. Don't bother with that DOSBox-X or Daum garbage, they didn't do shit for me and X has horrible performance. Just patch the source code yourself like they instruct.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I finally got Roland MT-32 emulation working on the Linux version of DOSBox so I can play Underworld 1&2 with proper music. Turns out, all you have to do is follow the instructions on Munt's DOSBox patch page on their github. Some may laugh at me for being a stupid techlet and not getting this sooner but hey, it works now. Don't bother with that DOSBox-X or Daum garbage, they didn't do shit for me and X has horrible performance. Just patch the source code yourself like they instruct.
I just want to thank you for this post. It inspired me to finally figure the damn thing out, since I recently started UU1 for the first time. Mind you, I did go with DOSbox-X, but I don't really have the same performance issues. Wish it did more for the sound effects, but either way its a massive improvement.
The bane of every man gamer... reading instructions. In all seriousness I wish GOG's version of Underworld had a preset for MT-32 emulation if Munt is present on the system.
I think that if GOG wanted to do that they would have to pay out the ass. I get the impression that music equipment makers like squeezing every last penny they can out of their audience these days.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I found DOSBox-Staging to be a nice alternative to DOSBox-X, which in the topic of this conversation, would be relevant due to Staging having a built in MT-32 Emulator. I was able to use that while playing through Underworld 1 with no issue.

dacencora

I’ll never stop shilling eXoDOS! That guy has actually put in all the work that GOG doesn’t. Pretty much every title I’ve launched had multiple sound emulator options, and most have MT-32 as well, IIRC. It’s an impressive collection.

EDIT:

Ultima Underworld has MT32 emulation in eXoDOS:
6ucO7Nh.png

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Is it normal for the object changing/deleting glitch to happen on the first floor? I was playing a floppy version because I couldn't find a CD at first and the GOG version didn't have any sound for me. Its one hell of a ride to be in some normal combat, using a sling against some goblins, only for your map to get used like a sling bullet.

Is it normal for the object changing/deleting glitch to happen on the first floor? I was playing a floppy version because I couldn't find a CD at first and the GOG version didn't have any sound for me. Its one hell of a ride to be in some normal combat, using a sling against some goblins, only for your map to get used like a sling bullet.

I've never encountered that, but it's been literally 30 years since I played the floppy version.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I've read other people having the same problem of reaching the 255 item limit on the first floor before. There's nothing keeping it from happening on any floor as far as I know.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I've read other people having the same problem of reaching the 255 item limit on the first floor before. There's nothing keeping it from happening on any floor as far as I know.
So...at no point during testing did anyone think, gee, maybe we shouldn't include enemies that throw pebbles as each individually appear as items in the game world? Wait, what am I saying, this is Origin, of course they didn't test it enough. Is there even a way to destroy items in this game without using them?

So...at no point during testing did anyone think, gee, maybe we shouldn't include enemies that throw pebbles as each individually appear as items in the game world? Wait, what am I saying, this is Origin, of course they didn't test it enough. Is there even a way to destroy items in this game without using them?

iirc dropping them in water or lava works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom