Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I like how tanks finally feel like tanks. Even targeting the radiator it takes multiple shots to destroy some. In the previous games they might as well have been made out of cardboard.

The Darcsen tsundere otherwise wrecks everything.

LVpCPE0.png

Also the cast of VC2, etc.

Valkyria Chronicles: Unrecorded Cameos.

Almost ruined the game for me.
That chit definitely gets annoying. Even Juliana shows up ffs.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like how tanks finally feel like tanks. Even targeting the radiator it takes multiple shots to destroy some. In the previous games they might as well have been made out of cardboard.

The Darcsen tsundere otherwise wrecks everything.

LVpCPE0.png

Also the cast of VC2, etc.

Valkyria Chronicles: Unrecorded Cameos.

Almost ruined the game for me.
That chit definitely gets annoying. Even Juliana shows up ffs.

The existence of chronologically later periods in the narrative is one of the biggest weaknesses of a prequel. The awareness of future conflicts and their characters and the resolution of their stories trivializes the emotional investment audiences are supposed to make in the chronically earlier parts in the narrative.

LET'S THROW IN A BUNCH OF REFERENCES TO CHRONICALLY LATER PERIODS IN THE NARRATIVE. DIARRHEA OF REFERENCES!

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finally a playable Valkyria... and it completely sucks. Destroying entire battalions during cutscenes but not even able to oneshot a turret during actual gameplay.

eSagE0K.png

7FCq4AA.png

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Imca is much better.

Proof if any were needed that technology is great and nothing beats a good blaster at your side.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Game sure is a drag to finish. How many times do you need to blow up the same Calamity Raven stooges?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Imca is basically the keystone of several missions on that game (but there is variety too, shielder missions are tricky too and the characters with movement refresh abilities are very useful) because of her extreme glass cannon-ness. I remember a particular one where to get max Rank (it's a complete failure to get less on these games) you need to stop at exactly the right place on the middle of a plain to one-shot the max number of tanks. It makes for 'interesting' missions when the OCD of completeness compels you to re-class Imca to scout (-ATK power) for the class capstones.

Ahhh. Good game. I like how it refined the formula, and how the system encourages blitzes.

Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 are also interesting PSP tactical games if you're looking for another thing slightly different from the cargo cult. Don't be discouraged by the cardgame facade, you can heavily stack the deck on that... literally.

Growlanser 4 is basically 'weeb baldur's gate' (RtwP) ... but with better encounter design (or more diverse objectives). Yes, i know, it's unbelievable.

Gungnir is completely fucking unique in combat system and i don't even want to try to explain it, but it's quite refreshing if you learn the system and are sick of FFT or disgaea clones.

Wildarms XF... is a FFT clone with more permissive multiclassing. It's quite a difficult game at first, but then you unlock some classes and get some units and the difficulty plummets - unfortunately, because the encounter design is nothing special and the 'mission objectives' are boring 'always kill everything' (and the story is abyssal).

Jeanne D'Arc is a even more traditional FFT clone, and easy too. But very well polished production, and you can laugh at Japanese interpretation of Jeanne and the 100 years war (many Japanese are apparently a bit of french-weebs).

These last two games have the 'fatal' difficulty flaw of having abilities or classes that get more actions if you kill enemies iirc. Good for feeling like a boss clearing the enemies on 'turn 1' but nothing as satisfying as doing the same on VC3 because of a good tactical plan and efficiency executing it.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished 3. Got really burnt out the last few chapters - coming from 2 I had accepted the level repetition as a platform limitation yet final two chapters added destroying radiators combined with endless enemy reinforcements. To top it all the boss dude in the final level was literally immune to all damage and spent his time running around recapturing bases and summoning endless elite reinforcements.

1uT8msy.png

I feel like the devs wanted to end it at Chapter 19 but then added another chapter just to make Squad 422's contribution to the war as significant as Squad 7. Both basically stop a weapon of mass destruction.

Picked Riela as waifu and her ending was nice (didn't like Imca ending when I looked it up on Jootoob).

l922Du1.png

UWuf7xZ.png

DYdv3B9.png

uCQ9C6D.png

BYhzXl4.png

I like how Killer Granny caught the bouquet at the end, considering how she also had ended up firing the last round in the game for me.

ZumMffD.png

cEW6I3P.png

Guess I'll rate somewhere between :3/5: and :4/5:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
These games do have a lot of map repetition, especially if you do optional missions.

However, i liked how they threw in small modifications everytime, it's nothing as dull as Darkest Dungeon in spite of that being much more random in layout (which i just played) - can't really compare the games, but really a 3d environment beats the pants off a 2d map layout where you just go 'forward', so even the repetition is a tier or two above.
Handcrafted maps that a designer is familiar with multiple paths and organic movement will beat boring 'random' maps with no options everytime i guess.

I liked how you started thinking of the maps as Arenas after a while and got better at using movement capabilities to reduce elapsed turns. It's always pretty fun to bypass every enemy, conquer a enemy rally point on turn 1, defend against attempts to reconquer it and kill the attackers and win the mission on turn 1.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They finally make another non-mobile Valkyria Chronicles game and it's not launching on PC even though the unexpectedly high PC sales of the first is likely the reason why it's even happening. :hmmm:

Sega's been incredibly dumb since Sonic Mania with Denuvo so I'm not entirely shocked by this. Maybe a delayed release will mean no Denuvo.

Martius

Liturgist
They finally make another non-mobile Valkyria Chronicles game and it's not launching on PC even though the unexpectedly high PC sales of the first is likely the reason why it's even happening.

Sega's been incredibly dumb since Sonic Mania with Denuvo so I'm not entirely shocked by this. Maybe a delayed release will mean no Denuvo.
I would want to believe only reason for that is this being announcement for Japan market. Maybe we will hear anything about pc version with english trailer (or maybe not since Revolution was on xbox, who knows).

BreadGrill

Novice
It's just a timed console exclusive most likely, to milk impatient people. I remember wanting a sequel set in the Federation vs Empire front years ago and suddenly here we go, even after Revolution sold poorly. Also DOGGY MEDICS :shittydog:

8Pgpdgt.jpg

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That's way too much accessorizing clutter for a supposed military outfit, but at least it's not high school nonsense from VC2. Story remains to be seen.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So they refuse to release the game on a platform designed for strategy games(pc) and put it on a platform designed for fps and western games(xbox).
Idiots.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's just a classic case of double dipping. Delay the PC version because you know some people will buy the game twice eventually.

flyingjohn

Arcane
It's just a classic case of double dipping. Delay the PC version because you know some people will buy the game twice eventually.
I have a feeling the original sales on steam came from people new to the franchise and not people already owning the game.
And double dipping when the game is on every single console already usually doesn't work.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That dog is a photoshop joke right? Right!?

The obvious advantage of a dog medic is that it'll be able to travel more distance in a single turn than a person.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom