Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Sentinel

Arcane
I wouldn't mind Valve somewhat regulating what gets into the store honestly
We all see how that's working out with GOG. Bunch of woke superindie(as in games appealing to about 3 blobs of LGBBQ-) trash and hentai/anime games get in, but games like Hatred get banned because retards on Twitter demand it.

The 'gatekeeper' roles just get taken over by ideologues so it doesn't end well.
this already happens internally at valve, they just don't announce it publicly. some anime coomer shit got recently blacklisted, the devs complained on twitter.

GrainWetski

Arcane
We all see how that's working out with GOG. Bunch of woke superindie(as in games appealing to about 3 blobs of LGBBQ-) trash and hentai/anime games get in, but games like Hatred get banned because retards on Twitter demand it.

The 'gatekeeper' roles just get taken over by ideologues so it doesn't end well.
this already happens internally at valve, they just don't announce it publicly. some anime coomer shit got recently blacklisted, the devs complained on twitter.
Yeah, they did it with Hatred too so Gayben had to step in. It's inevitable that Steam will join the rest of them entirely and not just ban obscure hentai games.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, they did it with Hatred too so Gayben had to step in. It's inevitable that Steam will join the rest of them entirely and not just ban obscure hentai games.

It's probably the Hatred debacle that convinced Gabe to kill most of the curation.

My big fear is what happens to Valve after Gabe retires. The guy is one of those rare people in CURRENT_YEAR who takes his beliefs seriously.

Caim

Arcane
It's probably the Hatred debacle that convinced Gabe to kill most of the curation.

My big fear is what happens to Valve after Gabe retires. The guy is one of those rare people in CURRENT_YEAR who takes his beliefs seriously.
Gaben owns enough of Valve that he can name his successor, so it's going to be either one of his two kids (because even with children he cannot count to 3) or another appointed successor. Both carry risks.

Latelistener

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Gaben owns enough of Valve that he can name his successor, so it's going to be either one of his two kids (because even with children he cannot count to 3) or another appointed successor. Both carry risks.
From the last year IGN interview I got the feeling that it will be this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Walker_(game_designer)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but just I got this vibe from them.
no twitter account, eh? has something to hide
must be a cryptonazi, probably should cancel him now

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the last year IGN interview I got the feeling that it will be this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Walker_(game_designer)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but just I got this vibe from them.

Robin Walker is a potentially good successor, he comes off in a fairly intelligent manner in the few interviews I've seen/read with him.

He's also been with Valve since the early days, and seems to share a few philosophies with Gabe.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.thegamer.com/half-life-alyx-ending-robin-walker-narrative-limbo/

Valve Doesn't Want Half-Life Fans To Be Stuck In "Narrative Limbo" Anymore
We recently caught up with Half-Life: Alyx project lead Robin Walker to talk about the game's ending and what it means for the universe.

Half-Life: Alyx was the first game in the franchise in over a decade, but it was also a prequel, meaning that the narrative fans were hoping to see likely wasn’t going to appear.

However, Valve loves a red herring, as the final act changes absolutely everything about the franchises’ storyline thus far, opening the door for a very uncertain, but equally exciting future. We won't be spoiling any specifics in this article, so no need to worry about that side of things.

It turns out that such a move was very deliberate on the part of Valve. Speaking to us in a recent interview, Half-Life: Alyx project lead Robin Walker talked about what the ending could mean for the series, and how Valve no longer wishes fans to be stuck in “narrative limbo” in the years to come. This doesn’t confirm a new game at all, but puts a number of cards on the table simply waiting to be dealt.

“We realise that it needed to be something that mattered,” Walker said in regards to the game’s ending. “The story couldn’t be something you could just ignore and move onto whatever we build next. We also knew that Half-Life fans have been stuck in a sort of narrative limbo for a long time now, and we wanted that to change.”

For context, the last title in the franchise to be released before Alyx, Half-Life: Episode Two, ended with an infamous cliffhanger that is still discussed widely today. Valve is well aware of its legacy, and not only wanted to address it, but change the narrative foundations on which the entire franchise is built upon. It’s safe to say they succeeded.

“We wanted to be excited about possibility again,” Walker said. “We gave [the player] a red herring where you think you know how it’s going to end with a fully plausible ending and we then subverted that, which were all really important elements that took a lot of iteration and came together towards the end.”

You can expect even more from our chat with Robin Walker on Half-Life: Alyx in the coming days. In the meantime, Half-Life: Alyx is nominated for a number of accolades in the BAFTA Game Awards on Thursday, March 25. You can find out how to watch the ceremony alongside all the other details right here.

https://www.thegamer.com/half-life-alyx-reveal-robin-walker/

There Was “A Lot of Fear” Around Revealing Half-Life: Alyx, Says Valve’s Robin Walker
We recently caught up with Valve's Robin Walker and he reflected on showing Half-Life: Alyx to the public for the first time ever.

Half-Life: Alyx was the first game in the franchise to be released in over a decade, and brought with it substantial expectations that many thought would be impossible to meet.

But despite all the pressure, it released in March 2020 to critical and commercial acclaim, setting a new benchmark for immersive gameplay and storytelling in the world of virtual reality. We recently caught up with Half-Life: Alyx project lead Robin Walker to talk about the game’s reveal, and how Valve felt about finally bringing Half-Life back into the world after so long.

“I think for the first couple of years, it was just a bunch of people in the company sceptical that we were going to actually build and release a Half-life product again,” Walker tells us over Zoom. “All the scepticism about Valve working on Half-Life that’s out there was just as alive within the company itself, and you just resign yourself to thinking that we’re never going to do it.”

But this trepidation eventually evolved into confidence, as Valve toyed with internal demos several years ago which consisted of little more than Half-Life 2 assets hurled into a virtual reality space. Alyx Vance, Gravity Gloves and other iconic mechanics were nowhere to be seen. “It took us internally a while to reach the point where we became confident enough to do it, and then our fears transferred into what are people going to think when they see it?”

Walker continues by saying there was “a lot of fear” around the reveal of Alyx. “But fear is a good motivator, it can make you try really hard, and in the end I think it worked out really well.” The internal circumstances behind Alyx’s creation are pretty fascinating, as Walker notes: “It was bizarre to work on a product where we were more afraid to announce it than to release it.”

Once the announcement trailer was finally out there, tensions lifted almost immediately. “It’s really exciting to hear people talk about something and not believing it’s real, because that’s when you know things are going to be okay,” Walker said. “I think 24 hours after that trailer went out, a bunch of people throughout the company not even working on the game were relaxed for the first time in forever!”

Walker reflects on what the worst case scenario could have been for Alyx, and even this was done with a lighthearted chuckle. "The worst thing we could do is ship a bad Half-Life game, but if we ship a good one that is worthy of the name, then I'm sure people will be able to experience it in time," he says, noting Alyx's controversial exclusivity as a VR title.

You can expect even more from our chat with Robin Walker on Half-Life: Alyx in the coming days. In the meantime, Half-Life: Alyx is nominated for a number of accolades in the BAFTA Game Awards on Thursday, March 25. You can find out how to watch the ceremony alongside all the other details right here.

KVVRR

Learned
yeah they instead prefer to completely negate what people have been waiting for over a decade and instead retcon that makes no sense and for a worse plot that completely sidesteps the reason half life lore was interesting in the first place, lmao. Hell, it's not like they're doing another HL game anytime soon, they're Valve. They can't even be bothered to finish the art for a comic or a card game.

Semiurge

Cipher
yeah they instead prefer to completely negate what people have been waiting for over a decade and instead retcon that makes no sense and for a worse plot that completely sidesteps the reason half life lore was interesting in the first place, lmao. Hell, it's not like they're doing another HL game anytime soon, they're Valve. They can't even be bothered to finish the art for a comic or a card game.

"Oh no, our franchise is too popular and well-loved for a final installment! Half-Life 3 could only hurt us, we're doing good so we don't wanna rock the boat."

LOL. This is what clinging to financial security over your art looks like.

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
A bunch of people lost access to their game, owned for years, for no reason at all:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/402310/discussions/0/3068614788761283628/

28w3ddB.png

Sentinel

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/app/402310/discussions/0/3068614788761423239/
Dev Announcement About Revoked Overfall Keys
Hi Folks,

The cd-key situation is like this; years ago through a publisher, we made a deal to make Overfall known for wider audiences. This "publisher" wanted approx. 30k keys from us and said they were going to pay us after-sales. Unfortunately, we got scammed by them and couldn't receive payment. On top of that, we witnessed that these keys were being sold on other fraud sites. This is why we had to revoke them.

We're very well aware that you're aggrieved. To make things sorted out we want to give the keys you got from them back again; please fill out the form below so we can send you your fresh keys through e-mail.

Please don't forget that trusting 3rd party sites and not buying the game directly from Steam has consequences sometimes; we learned it the hard way.

Take care all.

Edit: We're not talking about Fanatical with the whole fraud situation, we're in fact in contact with them to make things easier for you guys.

https://forms.gle/KhwizpYnrPGL2KQC8

Antigoon

Augur
They revoked all keys from that 2018 Bundlestars bundle saying they never got paid by their publisher. I guess its more likely they just want your email to spam you with their upcoming game. You can get the key back by filling out some form.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/5079473324786585143

Steam Client Beta - April 19th, 2021

The Steam Client Beta has been updated with the following changes:

General
  • Fix a possible crash for users with around 25,000 or more games

Library
  • Achievements that track progress will now display progress in their hovers on the game details page

https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam/most-games-owned

Steam is finally getting support for owning over 25,000 games
steam-play-next-580x334.jpeg

You don’t need me to tell you that there are a lot of games on Steam these days, and you probably don’t want me to remind you of the shameful length of your backlog. It turns out that Steam actually starts getting a bit unstable when you own too many games, but Valve finally has a fix in mind for those of you who own too many games.

The latest Steam client beta update includes a fix for “a possible crash for users with around 25,000 or more games”. So, if you somehow own half of all the games on Steam (yes, there are over 50,000 games on the platform now), you might want to opt into the beta soon. Or, just look forward to the full update to the client itself.

According to Steam API trackers, only three people own over 25,000 games on Valve’s platform. There’s gt4, of Russia, with 25,996 games, Sonix, of China, with 28,574 games, and dwight schrute, of the US, with 32,808 games. At least, that’s what the tracker shows – their actual counts on Steam are all a bit different, likely down to how the API works with DLC and apps.

Regardless, the ranks of ‘people who own over 25,000 Steam games’ are extremely thin. I hope y’all enjoy this update built just for you.

For the rest of us, there are still more free Steam games out there than we could ever possibly find time to play.

fork

People owning more than 25,000 games on Steam should consider killing themselves. Something this bug might have helped promote. And these retards fix it instead, Jesus!

racofer

Thread Incliner
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/5079473324786585143

Steam Client Beta - April 19th, 2021

The Steam Client Beta has been updated with the following changes:

General
  • Fix a possible crash for users with around 25,000 or more games

Library
  • Achievements that track progress will now display progress in their hovers on the game details page

https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam/most-games-owned

Steam is finally getting support for owning over 25,000 games
steam-play-next-580x334.jpeg

You don’t need me to tell you that there are a lot of games on Steam these days, and you probably don’t want me to remind you of the shameful length of your backlog. It turns out that Steam actually starts getting a bit unstable when you own too many games, but Valve finally has a fix in mind for those of you who own too many games.

The latest Steam client beta update includes a fix for “a possible crash for users with around 25,000 or more games”. So, if you somehow own half of all the games on Steam (yes, there are over 50,000 games on the platform now), you might want to opt into the beta soon. Or, just look forward to the full update to the client itself.

According to Steam API trackers, only three people own over 25,000 games on Valve’s platform. There’s gt4, of Russia, with 25,996 games, Sonix, of China, with 28,574 games, and dwight schrute, of the US, with 32,808 games. At least, that’s what the tracker shows – their actual counts on Steam are all a bit different, likely down to how the API works with DLC and apps.

Regardless, the ranks of ‘people who own over 25,000 Steam games’ are extremely thin. I hope y’all enjoy this update built just for you.

For the rest of us, there are still more free Steam games out there than we could ever possibly find time to play.
Finally! Now I can get back into using Steam.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People owning more than 25,000 games on Steam should consider killing themselves. Something this bug might have helped promote. And these retards fix it instead, Jesus!
This is the exact same thing I was thinking about. If one over 25000 games on Steam, that person has some very serious problems in his life.

Curratum

It's like Steam is purposefully stomping and flexing on Epic with functionality while Timmy's goons can't figure out basic functionality.

Sentinel

Arcane
I haven't seen the steam store in months lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom