Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:avatard:

DpmajCy.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New download page and storage manager are live in the beta client. https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/2974049913511655206

Steam Client Beta - July 29

Note: This beta was re-released on July 29 to fix an issue with "Disk Write" errors during download for some cases on OSX.

The Steam Client Beta has been updated with the following changes:

New Downloads Page
The downloads page in the Steam client has been replaced with a new implementation.
  • A minimal and more focused design with stronger CTAs (Calls to Action)
  • Game keyart/logo featured in the header for whichever game is actively downloading
  • More accessible color palette for the visually impaired
  • When a game/update is actively downloading it will now display the total progression completed for the download or update. Previously the progress bar would only display the downloading content progress but not the disk allocation process which would make an update to appear completed when it was not.
  • Any partially completed downloads/updates in queue now will show a faded progress bar and percent completed next to it to clearly display its current state.
  • A new (i) icon next to the game's title will reveal a tooltip displaying the types of content that is included in that update. Types consist of: Game Content, Downloadable Content, Workshop Content, and Shader Pre-caching. This icon only appears if the update is not solely game content.
  • The download queue is now fully reorderable using drag and drop.
  • The context menu for the actively downloading item now includes an option to launch the game when the download is complete and an option to suspend download throttling (if enabled) for the duration of that download.
  • The "View News" button is now a "Patch Notes" link that will open an overlay to the most recent relevant patch notes for the game. This will only display for games that have entered patch notes into the new event system. The patch notes link will only show up on updates, not fresh installs.
  • A Settings icon button is now located in Downloads header that opens the settings popup window directly to the Downloads section.
  • In the Completed section there is a "Clear all" button to help clean up your downloads page.

Library
  • Updated Steam library folders dialog to better manage various game content installed on your drives
  • Game counts in various places in the UI will no longer include Tools unless the Tools filter is selected in the left column.
  • The Recent Friend Activity shelf has been removed.
  • Fixed some errors for users whose account name was the maximum length.
  • Fixed duplicate events appearing in the app detail activity feed

Steam Input
  • Further reduced CPU usage of Steam Input, especially in Steam Input API games
  • Added support for the current set of PowerA Xbox Series X controllers

Linux
  • update scout LD_* and container runtime to 0.20210721.1:
  • library pinning process is significantly faster at startup after runtime updates
  • update soldier container runtime to 0.20210723.18:
  • Restore compatibility with NixOS (steam-runtime#431)
  • Make /usr/share/nvidia available to the container if using the NVIDIA proprietary driver, so that app-specific profiles can be applied (steam-runtime-tools#73)
  • Silence most LD_PRELOAD warnings

SteamVR
  • Added detection of HTC Vive Pro 2 and a prompt to install the Vive Pro 2 Driver
  • Fixed bug that prevented Steam from counting some USB-connected headsets when gathering data for the hardware survey. In general, the sampling of SteamVR sessions should have caught most of these cases, but this could have resulted in some undercounting.

Images from SteamDB guy's Twitter:

Also mobile page. https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/5095244170241810278

Store Update for Mobile Phones

english.png

Over the last few weeks, the Steam Mobile team has released improvements and bug fixes for a handful of store pages, as we work toward releasing a new version of the mobile app.

Starting today, we’re testing out a new layout for store game pages on mobile phones. We’ve streamlined the layout to be more mobile friendly and easier to read. We’d like to know what you think.

These changes are live now. So the next time you browse to a store game page on your mobile phone, you’ll see this banner at the top of the game page.

da1759a30805e4501b0ed2eb174efd24d1bba199.png

If you’d like to send us feedback or report a bug, tap the banner to go to the Steam Mobile Forum.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

7 months later, this comes to the new downloader UI: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/3002196778031904661

New! Display Patch Notes right in the Downloads view
So what changed? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now you can associate any game update event with a specific build, so users have direct access to your latest patch notes when downloading or updating your game.

When creating your event, whether it's a Major Update, Regular Update, or Small Update, you can now select the Link to Build option, then select the branch you'd like to be associated with your post.

Then when players download or update your game, rather than shrugging about what changed, they'll have direct access to your associated event's news via a PATCH NOTES link, which displays your news inline. Check out our patch notes documentation for more information, and give the new link a spin in the downloads view when you opt into the Steam Client Beta today.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Interesting experiment. Automatically detecting engines by looking at file structures.

I'm hoping they introduce filters for these things.

I'd love nothing more than to put ANYTHING made with Unity3D on a black list, at least until they sort their performance issues with CPUs more powerful than your typical 4C/4T intel quadcore...
Seriously, I've had to turn off over half my 16C/32T CPU to get framerates measured in FPS instead of SPF; requiring the user to perform such workarounds is not acceptable.

Caim

Arcane
I've checked and Unity is not a searchable tag either. So it's not being used on any game on Steam, or it's being filtered out.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/3002196778013479574

Steam Next Fest boosts engagement and sales for most games
October event registration open through August 15th

33748b82002c877b13014c9107fe918aa89d405a.png

Registration is open for the October edition of Steam Next Fest, with the deadline of August 15 fast-approaching. For those considering the event, we're excited to share some analysis on the impact of 2020 Next Fest participation with regard to wishlisting and sales rates.

The first Steam Next Fest ran in the summer of 2020 as a way to offer playable demos to fans in the absence of physical events such as E3. We've since run the event three more times as an opportunity for devs to build an audience for their upcoming games. Each fest has comprised hundreds of games offering demos for players to download and try. The fests have also provided an opportunity for devs to feature scheduled livestreams and connect with players over the course of the multi-day event.

The median jump in wishlists was up over 400% among participating games
Among 2020 Next Fest participants, the median game saw daily wishlist additions jump 421% during the fest, compared to the two weeks leading up to the event. Wishlisting rates were higher than 421% for half of participating games, while 45% saw a smaller increase, and 5% experienced a decrease in their rate of wishlist additions.

Wishlisting rates were still up after the event
The rate of wishlisting remained elevated for the majority of games even after Next Fest ended, with the median game seeing a 15% increase in daily wishlist additions in the three weeks following Next Fest compared with the two weeks prior to the event.

This increase in wishlist additions resulted in more sales
To study Next Fest's impact on sales, we tracked whether Next Fest wishlist additions were converting to sales among the games that have been released since participating in the fest. The median released game saw an increase of 292% in "converting wishlists" made during Next Fest compared to converting wishlist additions made in the two weeks leading to Next Fest.

Player participation in Steam Next Fest remains strong
Through our 2021 editions of Next Fest, we've continued to see strong player interest. For example, the median number of wishlist additions has increased in the 2021 editions of the fest.

To join us in Steam Next Fest October edition, register now through August 15th.

Update: The included infographic has been simplified for clarity.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Surprised at how many XNA + FNA + MonoGame (MonoGame and FNA are basically recreations of XNA) are there. Also i'd expect FNA to be far above MonoGame since IIRC MG had a lot of issues unlike FNA which was made to be as "pixel perfect" as possible... and i still wouldn't expect XNA to be that high.

Also i didn't expect Construct to be THAT popular.

On the other hand there are certainly more than one games using Phyre, like all of Spiders' games (Silk Engine, which doesn't seem to be counted separately, is based on Phyre).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
29000+ games on Unity. I don't want to live on this fucking planet anymore.

Unity has came a long way in the past few years honestly.
Although likely most of those games are exactly what you are describing - shitty puzzle games made on free assets cobbled together by a Russian sweat shop that pumps 20 of these a day for steam card farming.

I'm semi surprised it leads by such a large margin though.

Curratum

Don't be like that about Unity, there's a decent amount of good games on the engine. I can point out a dozen games that are nearly unplayable from horrible optimization and run on UE4, but I'm not cringing at UE4 as a whole.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Also i didn't expect Construct to be THAT popular.
Well, it is possible that they're reading things wrong. I was checking the engines I recognize, and it seems for some engines they're really wrong. They did say that's to be expected. Curiously, the Build engine has a lot of not Build engine games there. I wonder if their script is looking for games with "build" in text somewhere, and making it that if it isn't recognized as another engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom