Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Video Game Music Thread

CrimHead

Scholar
Starfox for the SNES and Battletoads for the NES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zPOYyg2uVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8wVX022oVM

The songs on these games pretty much define my childhood gaming experience

I have no idea what you mean by "atmospheric" though. Really all music is evocative of one atmosphere or another. Whether that particular atmosphere is good or not, however...

So I just listed some good game soundtracks.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hollywood theme is pretty good too, my favorite in Bloodlines. Ripped out Interstate '76 music from the cds. It's pretty nice funk, but it works better ingame.

DraQ

Arcane
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
Homeworld - Adagio for strings

Pretty much went perfectly with the destruction of an entire homeworld.
:salute:

Fuck Aeris - I fucking cried when Kharak was glassed.

P.S.
The fleet intelligence voice acting in this mission is the best VA ever. It's one thing to act with a lot of emotion, no matter how convincing, acting almost perfect restraint that only falters enough to hint at the emotional maelstrom beneath the calm, collected surface is where it's at. I don't think I've ever heard VA that would come even close to Homeworld mission 3.

Oesophagus

Arcane
HW2 was major decline compared with HW1 in nearly all aspects, music included.
I'm not sayin it was better, but I still liked the music in HW2. Though it sometimes sounded a bit adhaira-ish

DraQ said:

P.S.
The fleet intelligence voice acting in this mission is the best VA ever. It's one thing to act with a lot of emotion, no matter how convincing, acting almost perfect restraint that only falters enough to hint at the emotional maelstrom beneath the calm, collected surface is where it's at. I don't think I've ever heard VA that would come even close to Homeworld mission 3.

True, true. Other memorable bits of voice acting include the captured prisoner who did not survive interrogation, and the briefing before the final mission.

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ said:

P.S.

True, true. Other memorable bits of voice acting include the captured prisoner who did not survive interrogation, and the briefing before the final mission.
It seems that modern devs no longer realize how much potential there is in not showing or telling stuff directly. No matter what you show or tell explicitly you have to compete with player's imagination, and it is the opponent you should dread the most. However, if you just throw in a dry, one line summary - "the subject did not survive the interrogation", you can recruit this imagination as your most powerful ally.

Seriously, if you make a game belonging to arguably one of the most impersonal genres (RTS) ever conceived (in before starcrap :trollface: ), including virtually no characters to speak of and never showing any face, yet manage to make emotional impact comparable with fucking PS:T, you know you have done something seriously right.

A selection of some of my favourite game music:

- Warcraft 2. (WC2 has the best of the Warcraft music, although I would rate them all quite high) There are some mp3 mock-ups of the original midis around, but they aren't as well mixed/balanced as the midis. Fast, complex, perfectly fitting music. You can never get tired of this music.
- Dark Sun 1/2. Dark Sun 1 probably has the better music variety, but DS2 has good quality live recordings. They are an unusual mix of atmospheric instrumental, fantasy, jazz, classical and rock, although the DS1 midi files are more traditional fantasy sounding than the "jazzed up" DS2 recordings
- Dawn of War 2. Phenomenal music from a composer only just getting his breakthroughs in the industry (Doyle W Donehoo). Would recommend buying the game just for the music. Hard to compare to anything with how brilliantly it fits with the Warhammer 40K setting.
- Unreal Tournament. Always really enjoyed the music from this guy (Michiel Van Den Bos), with UT being his strongest work, although all of his are rather unique and high quality (Deus Ex, Overlord, Age of Wonders). Fits perfectly to the game and has a great energising quality to a lot of it IMO
- Ultima 8. May not be much of an Ultima, but the music is almost certainly some of the best of the whole series. I am probably biased towards the dark gothic style, since the midi files are not the best put together and a lot of it is strange ambient stuff, but I stand by this music completely. Would love to hear more from this composer (Neno Vugranec).
- Call of Cthulu: DCoTE. This game was mostly "miss" in the play department but some of the atmosphere it had was great, especially thanks to the great music. There is a really unique and strange dreamlike, alien quality to all of it, and to me it is the perfect accompaniment to Lovecraft material. Few people could get so close to music befitting of Lovecraft like this guy has done (Greg Chandler)
- Ravenloft 1/2/Menzoberranzan. Grouped these together because it is identifiably the same composer (Jamie McMenamy) in quite a similar style, althought diff themes. Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession is my favourite of these with that really dark medieval-gothic style again. Don't think I have heard quite as foreboding and sinister music as this before, anywhere.
- Daggerfall. This guy (Eric Heberling, also did Al Quadim and Death Gate, great composer) really knows how to create relatively simple music with such style and identity. He really knew how to take advantage of the limitations of midi and create some truly special pieces. This guy should have stayed to do all ES music, and many more games. Great stuff.

Some other worthwhile mentions

- HoMM3. There's just something really strong and identifiably Heroes about the music, and I think it is probably the best of the HoMM music (going to try get hold of HoMM4 music though, after Sceptic's recommendation)
- Disciples 2. Music is has a very nice dark orchestral quality to it, although the tracks are low quality and there isn't that much of it once you have considered the repetitions. Still pretty good though.
- Stronghold Legends. There are some high quality orchestral tracks in here, and a lot of medieval-inspired instrumentals
- The Longest Journey. Some strong music in here with some of it very unusual atmospheric, others have a traditional fairytale-like feel to them. Quite hard to get sick of this music.

Other Game Composers worthy of mention:

- Jeremy Soule (yeah, everyone knows him, and he did probably his best with Morrowind, even though listening to it makes me feel sick after a while for some reason)
- Kevin Manthei (A real figure in game music, including Wizardry 8, Civ2, Jagged Alliance 2, Vampire: Redemption, Sacrifice, Wizardry 8, and a lot more recent games that I haven't yet heard)
- Kevin Riepl (Later Unreal Tournaments)
- Bill Brown (This guy deserves mention for the incredibly high quality production values and excellent live recordings. Games include Lineage 2, Undying, C&C Generals, RTCW)

Could go on forever, but won't.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Excommunicator said:
Other Game Composers worthy of mention:

- Jeremy Soule (yeah, everyone knows him, and he did probably his best with Morrowind, even though listening to it makes me feel sick after a while for some reason)

I would argue that Icewind Dale is his best work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y96Y2JE5F8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PBI0lqw ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxjg5Kox ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFFimIb ... re=related

Played a lot of games. Those opening strains (the last link) that played as the game began and the narration unfolded... never before or since have I been drawn in so quickly by a games' music.

2c

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
FF X.
Xenosaga.
FF VIII ending.

That music from Medieval total war. (and from Rome total war) You can't beat amateurs in this regard. They are doing it because they want, it might be fewer pieces, but they are often gems.

Touhou. (Especially these songs based on Touhou musics.)
http://dagobah.net/flash/IOSYS_tohootom ... loving.swf

oscar

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
HoMM3. There's just something really strong and identifiably Heroes about the music, and I think it is probably the best of the HoMM music (going to try get hold of HoMM4 music though, after Sceptic's recommendation).

I much preferred the town themes and somewhat preferred the environmental themes in 2.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Soundtracks from RPGs are not that often discussed around here (maybe because they're not as relevant an element as the ones that are usually discussed, some might argue). Which one is your favourite, or is the one you remember most fondly of?

My favourites are, in random order:

VTMB
Ultima8
Diablo1 (not a real RPG, tho)
LOTRO ( MMORPG)
ME (some bits of it only)
Morrowind
The Witcher

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom