Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
B-but it's just beta.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Avellone designed areas, he didn't do any actual writing.

I imagine the design would include combat encounters. It might be possible someone else inherited the area after he did, but I would assume they're Chris's unless stated otherwise.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
B-but it's just beta.
Yeah, that's the pain here... the KS update already says:

The enemies you’ll meet in the beta are pretty early-game, which makes fights a little more straight-forward, as their AI is simpler than some of the later-game enemies.

"Your combat encounter sucks!"
"Oh, those are the early ones, the later ones are amazing!"
"Then why the hell you guys did shitty ones in the first place?"
"IS A BETA!!"

Who said that you couldn't make a Chinese character on here? You can, you even have a comically yellow skin tone and a couple of chinese chicks/chinese engineer portraits.

Anyways, my speech skills were bugged, I switched to the appropriate character but it was still untouchable, maybe the particular check isn't in play yet idk, but it sucks.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Then why the hell you guys did shitty ones in the first place?"

No need for the beta excuse.

Traditionally, in video games, the beginning of the game is easier than the end of the game.

Only in (some) RPGs, for some reason, many players accept, and even expect and desire, a difficulty inversion - that is, a difficult beginning, and an easy ending. "High level characters are stronger than low level characters, so the game should become easier!"

(This is something I've intended to start a pretentious thread about for a while now.)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
More even; weapons, encounter design, items, enemy variety and AI... There's some good stuff here, like how I saw a enemy running out of bullets and then looting the body of a fallen comrade for ammo, reloading and firing again. Or how the giant frog used his tongue to steal and swallow my character's pistol. But those moments are lost in the sea of mediocrity.

Enemies either go into cover and keep shooting you with the basic shot (never they did a burst), or run at you for melee. There's absolutely no group strategy, ambushes, use of environment or even item uses. Some stuff could be used, like how addicts attack you with rusty needles (it could inflict disease), or flies spitting bile (it should poison), but none of that is in. There's even a "Gear of War syndrome", that you see a bunch of chest-high walls cover from afar and you know that there will be an encounter there.

Compare this with X-Com having enemies that kill isntantly, mind-control, use grenades, spawn zombies, fly to flank you and other stuff, and Wasteland 2 encounters are banal shit boring, even if the system should provide way more resources.
From what I know it's mostly a matter of "not implemented yet." I agree with your points by the way, I just think maybe you are expecting a bit more complex combat than might have been the intention of the game (not necessarily for the better). I'm of the opinion more challenging, more complex, etc. is not always good for its own sake, it's how that complexity and challenge fits into the wider picture that matters, and what role combat plays in the game overall.

Also worth pointing out that some Codexians like to play very complex, challenging games regularly and tend to be very good at them. The average RPG fan is not necessarily that skilled or interested in that much challenge.

Wasnt the Ag Center the earliest map implemented and therefore it is more polished?

Sea--> Could You explain what will be implemented from felipepe rant?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even though you only have guns with terribly short ranges, the Drassen levels of Jagged Alliance 2 are pretty forgiving. It's called teaching you how to play.

Of course some grogs' desire to bash their faces into the wall repeatedly leads to extraordinarily stupid things like the 1.13 Drassen counter-attack.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Game should always be challenging, otherwise it's just a waste of time. Assume we won and move on.

Absolutely, I even prefer frustratingly hard over boring.

Edit: Hey, Steam just added family sharing options for everyone. Have I ever told you guys that I consider (most of)you part of my family? :)

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game should always be challenging, otherwise it's just a waste of time. Assume we won and move on.

Equally challenging? Can I take this to mean that you reject the concept of a "difficulty curve"?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Traditionally, in video games, the beginning of the game is easier than the end of the game.
Yeah, it's called difficulty curve, but interesting =/= difficult. Baldur's Gate 2 first area is extremely easy and even more interesting.

From what I know it's mostly a matter of "not implemented yet."
So this is a bloody alpha, and reviewing it is pointless, as everything is still up in the air.

Seriously bro, what can you say at this moment about the game that can't be replied with "they are still changing it" ? The combat? Loot? Quests? C&C? Graphics?

Tigranes

Arcane
There is no interrupts

There are interrupts

Hmm.

Sorry. Tuluse is right, there is overwatch. I meant interrupts in terms of being next to a melee enemy then moving away.

I'm not butthurt about it by the way, WL2 is so far exactly matching my expectations. Decent writing but nothing spectacularly funny, clever or emotional; combat that is entertaining but not particularly complex; areas that look pretty good but not out of the world. Morgan's music is probably one part that really goes beyond. And again, I am going to see how much changes when I complete the beta. If I can. Fucking crashing.

Monocause

Arcane
Balance and AI tweaks are pretty much always the last thing in development as they require absolutely no content changes and 99% of the time it's just numbers you can play with as long as you want - I haven't played WL2 but beta IS a perfectly fine excuse.

If you want to expect a polished product with all the minor functionalities in place you need to wait until it's fucking done. Then you can criticise all you want.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Seriously bro, what can you say at this moment about the game that can't be replied with "they are still changing it" ? The combat? Loot? Quests? C&C? Graphics?

Nothing. :smug: Not sure why that should stop you from complaining though!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It won't, don't worry.

Let's just consider that every critique starts with "CURRENTLY", and every defense with "SINCE THIS IS A BETA"...

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Anyway, all these complaints, and nobody has yet remarked on the fact that the game has no day/night cycle. Now that's kind of lame, and it's not going to change either. :M

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anyway, all these complaints, and nobody has yet remarked on the fact that the game has no day/night cycle. Now that's kind of lame, and it's not going to change either. :M
I demand Radiant AI. I want to spy on Sean while he bathes himself, watch him eat, sleep... ugggguuuuu

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Day/Night cycle would be pointless, the game's areas are shallow and there is no reason to ever visit them again once they are "done". This is not Fallout, you won't be going through the same places dozens of time...

Also, they only had 3M, while Larian had barely 1M. :M

coffeetable

Savant
Who is inXile's AI guy? AI is notoriously hard to get right, so if they've got a generalist doing it that'd explain a lot

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
I demand Radiant AI. I want to spy on Sean while he bathes himself, watch him eat, sleep... ugggguuuuu

This is why I expected it:

damonta-wasteland-2-screenshot-700x393.jpg
BItgqPz.jpg

Is Damonta always dark? Poor people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom