Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The main problem here is that even if this is a retro game sequel whatever it has to be a viable comercial product and evrything about it so far refects that; good graphics, simple yet fun combat, good narrative, good environments. I played the beta all afternoon at a friends house and honestly I had a lot of fun; by the time I had looked it was 9 pm and we had been playing almost 5 hours. It would be nice if they added the night cycle (hadn't even though of it) and some more polish and balancing issues buy all in all I am buying this as soon as it is available on gog.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I saw it up on my local torrent-tracker as "Wasteland 2". No mention of beta anywhere. Oh man, some out-of-the-loop pirates are gonna be disappointed.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It is already in second place on steam, it will add easy another million in the game(If Fargo doesn't decide to blow on hookers). When is the release date of Wasteland 2 (Is there one?)?I think six months would be enough to fix most problems (If the developers aren't dumbfucks) but C&C that is another story.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
wasteland2.jpg

:D

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
well, youve been talking about whats mediocre, lacking or bad about the game, anything positive?
The combat isn't as bad as it's being made out to be. It's certainly a big step up compared to Fallout. I've found some of the encounters fun.

There is a lot of shallow reactivity. I recruited a doctor (well she begged me to join up) at the ag-center, and everyone you go somewhere or meet someone she comments on it. It's a nice touch.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I'm sick at home today, and I did get to play the beta for about an hour and a half till I got to a bug that stopped my playthrough.

Thoughts so far:

I like the care taken to create links to the first game through dialog, map locations, and characters.
The combat is not too bad at all. The mechanics seem solid - but it needs some tweaking and balancing. I wish for example, there was an option for my squad to reload their weapons after combat.
Character creation is nice, and you can easily create a worthless character for combat. thumbs up!
The graphics are nice, they feel like an upgraded version of Fallout, which is just fine by me.
The world map is great, as is the radio stuff.

I have no problem with the "recovery" healing as it is not nearly as fast as I feared it would be after reading here.

I was sorely disappointed to find multiple different weapon variants that all had the same stats. Hopefully this will be adjusted before final.

The interface is a bit cumbersome but functional. I don't see the point of the backpack as is. It is too clumsy and i would rather just use the inventory screen. I do like the paperdoll and I especially like the ammo slot. Cosmetically, the interface looks nice and charming to me.

Anyway, all the fun stopped for me when I tried to use painkillers on a downed ally and he just started spinning in circles and I couldn't bring up any other UI.

I still give it an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Last edited:

circ

Arcane
Watching a W2 Prison Level Demo on yt, not sure how that compares to the beta demo, but. Looks somewhat nice. But there's a mixture of really amateurish things and more professional things, all thrown together. Some of the fonts don't really mix in well with the rest of the interface, like Encounter Begins message. Colors are WAY, WAY too saturated.

jacobquick

Barely Literate
There are no attacks of opportunity, but there is overwatch.
Herm, I didn't see any controls for it. Of course I can't tell what half these buttons do :\
Can someone explain how to put a guy on overwatch?
Bottom left of the screen, above the weapon info, to the left of the end turn button, is a button that if you roll over it says "Ambush." That's overwatch.

Zetor

Arcane
After playing the beta a bit, my original prediction seems to have proven true:
Combat looks just like SRR (a bit deeper, by not by much). Guess it's easier to do it this way in unity and/or making good AI / tiling for hexes is hard? Anyway, I don't mind.
Seriously, for all the hate SRR gets around here for its overly-simplistic 'dumbed down popamole nu-xcom' combat, WL2 really... isn't that different in practice. Yes, the character system is much deeper and there are all kinds of skills you can use... but that's all out-of-combat stuff. In SRR combat, I could do the same things I can do in WL2, plus a whole lot more (magic with or without using ley lines, chi, summoned beasts with their own abilities, drones, various non-healing consumables, and the entire 'go mess around in the Matrix while the rest of the team is in meatspace' thing). The SRR OC -was- dumbed down with most enemies set to an AI setting that only gets one action per turn, but that's a failing of the OC level designers, not the combat engine.

NB: I am not necessarily saying that WL2 not having JA2-level combat is a bad thing (just as in the quote). It's not like WL1 combat was much to write home about, either...

Lancehead

Liturgist
It feels out of element for an allegedly open-world game to not have day-night cycle. Especially so considering the game has map travel. With day-night cycle, night travel could be made adequately dangerous--low perception, high danger of walking into ambushes, etc.--while on the plus side water consumption could be far less than during the day.

Tigranes

Arcane
Anyone know what to do with Surgeon? Someone goes UNC, I succeed on Surgeon which brings him to Unconscious & 0 CON... blood packs have no effect and even when I succeed on surgeon again it doesn't do anything. Stuck.

poetic codex

Augur
I had sex with that Native American prostitute, and now my character is afflicted with a status effect called "Drippy Dragon" Sounds like an std ! :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It feels out of element for an allegedly open-world game to not have day-night cycle. Especially so considering the game has map travel. With day-night cycle, night travel could be made adequately dangerous--low perception, high danger of walking into ambushes, etc.--while on the plus side water consumption could be far less than during the day.

It does, but, neither did the original game.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Some cool thing I just noticed is, that if you fail at surgeon skill-check tryin' to mend a "topekan" in the nomad railways, he screams and says you make it worse !!!

And now you can't treat him anymore... so definitely some reactivity consequence stuff goingo n there.... More optimistic now for the final product... Beta is gonna beta ! ;)

Now I just hope they implement a target fire option for body parts... to make combat a bit more tactical and fun.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone know what to do with Surgeon? Someone goes UNC, I succeed on Surgeon which brings him to Unconscious & 0 CON... blood packs have no effect and even when I succeed on surgeon again it doesn't do anything. Stuck.
You can succeed at surgeon multiple times, until they reach 1 hp.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
And where the fuck is this Kebbekan... I can't fucking find him in this maze of railways,... holy shit :(

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ive been watching a few streams and reading a few threads and what I can say is this: Its a beta but it looks like it lacks half of the content on maps, derpy simple combat system, clunky inventory interface and it needs another year in development.
If the rest of the game is like these 15% they released in beta then its gonna be a shitty game. It does have a bit of old school vibe tho and I like the way main UI looks.

Oh, dont know if I missed it but are there no interrupts/AoO in the game? Seen some guys playing and backing out when surrounded by 3 guys without penalty. AP based or just not in the game?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Ive been watching a few streams and reading a few threads and what I can say is this: Its a beta but it looks like it lacks half of the content on maps, derpy simple combat system, clunky inventory interface and it needs another year in development.
If the rest of the game is like these 15% they released in beta then its gonna be a shitty game. It does have a bit of old school vibe tho and I like the way main UI looks.

Oh, dont know if I missed it but are there no interrupts/AoO in the game? Seen some guys playing and backing out when surrounded by 3 guys without penalty. AP based or just not in the game?
I think overwatch is the only interrupt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom