Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

BGMD

Learned

mp3'd :)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And where the fuck is this Kebbekan... I can't fucking find him in this maze of railways,... holy shit :(
He is the first guy inside the huge compound, where the Golden Spike is. Problem is, if you somehow clicked on the generator on the back, the power's out and he won't talk with you.... EVER AGAIN.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
And where the fuck is this Kebbekan... I can't fucking find him in this maze of railways,... holy shit :(
He is the first guy inside the huge compound, where the Golden Spike is. Problem is, if you somehow clicked on the generator on the back, the power's out and he won't talk with you.... EVER AGAIN.

The bro's inside the compound won't let me through either.. they're like.. sorry bro.. you ain't gettin' in dis mutha.... If I come any closer to the topekan.. he goes apeshit on me and all his indian friends..

Wtf :) Just trying to help!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The ingame ui sounds, they are getting on my nerves, everything from mouse overs to the printer, i had to turn the sound off.

Also, something i have noticed as a minor annoyance, the use of skills, i would have preferred the skill use to be contextual, if you examined something and your character figured out what to do with it, the action your perform if you click on it.The same for inventory items like the shovel, you should only click on the dirt mound and if you had the shovel in the inventory you character would use it. In the case of being able to use more than one skill on an item or prop, a small window would pop-up with the skill choice and percentage.

Last edited:

LivingOne

Savant
Anyway, all the fun stopped for me when I tried to use painkillers on a downed ally and he just started spinning in circles and I couldn't bring up any other UI.

I had this too.
Another problem I have are loading times being slow.

Shadenuat

Arcane
80095779.jpg

Okay. Rough on the edges but everything for a good RPG is there. It crashed like fuck in every loading screen so I couldn't get myself past the frog to play more locations. But unlike new Shadowrun it actually has world you can travel around, cool device to deliver the plot (radio) instead of goddamn rails, skills and things to use them on, rewards for diplomacy and alternative solutions to quests.
Will buy but hope for better fonts/UI/party inventory/aimed shots blah blah people already mentioned everything.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Guys, it's be a long time since I've gotten those video game butterflies. Can't wait to play the final version.

visions

Arcane
Well you have APs. How is this not the same thing? You have a limited amount of spaces to move before you can't use your weapon anymore, correct? I'm not playing the beta so maybe I'm missing something here. Please correct if wrong.

I'm not playing the beta either but was surprised to see people citing no penalty for moving and shooting.

The system could have both, APs and a penalty for moving (dependent on the distance moved). With only APs, it's very binary, you can either take the shot at maximum efficiency or you can not take the shot at all, no in-betweens, so a movement penalty could improve a system with APs as well.

Granted, I was being hyperbolic when implying that not having a penalty for movement would be outright retarded, but improving the combat seems like the main area crpgs could and should make actual progress in.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just noticed that the game uses the Visual C++ 2013 runtime. BLEEDING EDGE

Eurogamer LP:

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yep. It's a container with random items. Functions just the same as a chest, but with toaster art and requires toaster repair to open.

"P. banal"

Machine

Arbiter
paying 60 bux for beta testing

gotta be fucking desperate

kudos to Fargo & co milking the shit out of retards

bonescraper

I can't leave the Agricultural Center without CTD. God fucking damn it! I was having fun.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I can't leave the Agricultural Center without CTD. God fucking damn it! I was having fun.
Got that as well, and a lot of people seem to do as well... that and the bug that makes you unable to save killed my will to play the game seriously until they patch it. I'm just derping and trying different things now.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Combat improvements I just suggested on centercode:

Another beta tester had an idea for increased cover that I thought was really good. Accuracy should be decreased if you are trying to shoot through other people/animals/robots/targets.

In addition to that idea, I think ranged accuracy should be decreased if an enemy is adjacent to you. Right now there is no down side to letting an angry sucker with a giant lead pipe bash on your sniper other than his health going down. With a penalty to hit from having an enemy right next to you it would really increase tactical decisions. Do I try to shoot him point black with the lower accuracy, or move away and shoot him (maybe losing attack in the process)? Do I use my melee guy to clear off my ranged guys, or do I rush their ranged guys? There's probably more I'm not thinking of.

Another thing I would like to see is a penalty to accuracy if you've moved on the same turn. This would synergize with the above suggestion. It would also mean snipers are less over powered. Right now their penalty to close combat is pretty easy to overcome, but if they had a lesser penalty for moving, it would again make tactical decisions more interesting.
I agree that accuracy should take into account the whole trajectory of the projectile. I have seem both the player characters and the enemies missing and hitting something either in front or behind the target, but that should be more common.. Especially hitting stuff in front of the target should be much more common. The way it works now, you can shoot "through" multiple squad members and hit enemies without any problems.

However, strongly disagree with the concept of decreased ranged accuracy for nearby enemies. That is not how guns work. Accuracy goes down the further the target is. Period. It's never the other way around. Also, moving and shooting in the same turn doesn't mean moving and shooting at the same time, thus resulting in decreased accuracy. Decado is right on this issue. Unlike him, I have no military experience but I've been shooting IPSC for some time, and the way you do it is by interleaving bursts of fast movement and no shooting with periods of standing still and shooting. Shooting first and then moving or moving first and then shooting makes no difference because over the course of a single course of fire you go through this run/shoot cycle multiple times, so, in the end, it doesn't matter at all whether you started the course of fire by shooting or by running.

bonescraper

Got that as well, and a lot of people seem to do as well... that and the bug that makes you unable to save killed my will to play the game seriously until they patch it. I'm just derping and trying different things now.
Heh, thanks. I guess i'll derp around with party creator as well.

By the way, has anyone found that doctor's (the one who joins you) diary or something? There's also some strange stuff you can find buried in the Ag Centre (Rubik's Cube, Torn Jacket etc.), does any of it have any use, or are those just misc items you can sell for scrap?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I found the diary, it seems it doesn't do anything ATM. Found various weird items as well, like marbles, wooden eyes, and even a Bon Jovi album.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It feels out of element for an allegedly open-world game to not have day-night cycle. Especially so considering the game has map travel. With day-night cycle, night travel could be made adequately dangerous--low perception, high danger of walking into ambushes, etc.--while on the plus side water consumption could be far less than during the day.

It does, but, neither did the original game.

So "neither did the original game" is version 2.0 of "ITZ A BETAAARGH!!!" ?

No, it's just that, seriously, you can't demand everything at once.

The original Wasteland's strengths were exploration, writing and atmosphere. To some extent character development, too. I would expect the sequel to build on those, first and foremost. (If it doesn't deliver on that, it fails as a sequel, of course.)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So far the only feeling of exploration I've had is that because I don't have an area map, I have to scroll around the map with my camera. Otherwise it's fairly linear, but not as linear as mainstream games. FWIW I am still in Ag Center, and I won't be playing it again for a week or so probs.

But the char gen, writing, music (win++) and atmosphere are there.

Combat, UI, exploration, C&C, looting, quests and stuff still have a looooong way to go.

I have 3 questions for Devs:

1) Is there any way to back W2 now after the shop is gone? I want to offer more than the price on Steam. Does backing Numenara Tier with the W2 and then going to Ranger Center and upping my pledge works? I know I should have done it way earlier, but I always do everything too late and I believed that the store will be still open for 2,3 months from now so my money will help in the process of iteration. The though I cant back now is physically painful.

2)It's written on the Steam that beta includes 30% of the game. Fargo and Markland stated earlier that it is 20%. Something changed, it is hard to estimate or You did a little of bullshiting and marketed the beta on Steam as it have already included expansion of content which is planned in the future?

3) How are playthrough statistic? Earlier it was between 10-15h with most beating it in 10-12. I am quite curious how much did a host of Steam players change? Any ADHG or uberflegmatic yet?:P

hiver

So... except for Sea angling for another line producer spot... anyone discovered any C&C? Any reactiviteah?
Anything better then just choosing between AGcenter or Highpool?

Is there any consequences in dealing with quests differently and can you deal with the quests differently at all? How are the "diplomatic" options in this sense?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom