Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Wii successor is real

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Alexandros said:
AP_17.png

KalosKagathos

Learned
Alexandros said:
Bah, who cares about console toys. The PC is eternal.
Even the most fanboyish of PC purists should care: multiplatform titles are about to get prettier, for better or worse.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Highly doubtful that I'm going to bother with this. Not after being suckered into buying a GameCube and Wii. Nintendo is gonna have to try really hard if they want me as a customer again.

Elzair

Cipher
It seems odd for Nintendo to release a new console so soon. Are they still outselling the 360 and PS3?

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I like the part about Microsoft and Sony not releasing until 2014, then I realise that that is 3 more years of shitty lazy uninspired ports.

Silellak

Cipher
Elzair said:
It seems odd for Nintendo to release a new console so soon. Are they still outselling the 360 and PS3?
I think the 360 is actually outselling the Wii this year, with the PS3 still lagging behind.

I'm honestly not that surprised that Nintendo's releasing a new console in 2012. That'll be 6 years after the first Wii, which was already underpowered when it came out back in 2006. There was less time between the Gamecube and the Wii, and the N64 and the Gamecube. SNES and N64 were 6 years apart. That seems to be Nintendo's hardware refresh time frame, regardless of what its competitors are doing.

I kept expecting a backwards-compatible "Wii HD" sooner, so I'm not surprised it's finally happening now. The backwards compatibility is just a guess, of course, but it'd be stupid if it wasn't - not when the Wii is still selling so well.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Some more Project Cafe rumors: http://nintendovoice.blogspot.com/2011/04/project-cafe-hier-die-daten-zur.html

It's in German, but the most important points are following:
Backward compatible with Wii and Gamecube games
New Disc medium
Cloud system
Integrated Vitality sensor
Graphics chip is DX11 compatible

Launch titles:

GTA 5 (exclusive)
Final Fantasy 7 remake (exclusive, but not a launch title)

Commander Xbox

Learned
Morgoth said:
Some more Project Cafe rumors: http://nintendovoice.blogspot.com/2011/04/project-cafe-hier-die-daten-zur.html
Launch titles:

GTA 5 (exclusive)

:lol:

Console pre release conjecture is the craziest shit.

On another note could cause sony and microsoft huge probs. Micro is only just hiring to begin work on the new xbox and sony is still hemorrhaging money from the ps3, now theyre going to have to bring their new consoles forward or this thing could end up taking the market share if it actually supports ''hardcore'' gaming rather than casual garbage like the wii.

Achilles

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
Even the most fanboyish of PC purists should care: multiplatform titles are about to get prettier, for better or worse.

Ah, but will they? That is a topic worthy of discussion. In my opinion, nothing will change in that regard. Even if the Wii 2 is much more powerful than the other two consoles, the developers will still have to design games based on the lowest common denominator which is the 360. At most Wii 2 multiplatform games may get a slight resolution bump, but nothing more than that. Keep in mind that developers don't want to upset 360 or PS3 fanboys who might get extremely butthurt if another console has better graphics.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes multiplatform titles will get prettier. But still inferior to PC titles.

Gotta keep that $300 price tag, man.

Ermm

Erudite
Morgoth said:

New Disc medium
Cloud system

Launch titles:

GTA 5 (exclusive)

I would LOL'D hard if Rockstar would engage in partnership with Nintendo like Squaresoft in NES, SNES days.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This isn't really a big deal. Nintendo will have a 2-3 year lead way, then MS/Sony come with an even better console, and nobody will want to develope for the Wii 2 anymore.

But knowing Sony/MS, it will probably take another 3 years after the launch before they actually release something good.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Could happen, if Nintendo shovels enough moolah beforehand their way (talking about more than GTA4 and RDR made, + paying bills).

The butthurt would be priceless though.

However, I think it's about time we stopped this graphics climbing bullshit, there's not really a point to it now that we have HD 2D sprites.

Ermm

Erudite
Vaarna_Aarne said:
However, I think it's about time we stopped this graphics climbing bullshit, there's not really a point to it now that we have HD 2D sprites.

I want to see something like in movie ''The Thirteenth Floor'', where simulated reality looks real, and if you get killed in simulation (video game), it is GAME OVER in real life.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Alexandros said:
KalosKagathos said:

Ah, but will they? That is a topic worthy of discussion. In my opinion, nothing will change in that regard. Even if the Wii 2 is much more powerful than the other two consoles, the developers will still have to design games based on the lowest common denominator which is the 360. At most Wii 2 multiplatform games may get a slight resolution bump, but nothing more than that. Keep in mind that developers don't want to upset 360 or PS3 fanboys who might get extremely butthurt if another console has better graphics.
Well yeah, the transition won't be full until Sony and Microsoft will have released their consoles, but the point still stands: the current generation is coming to an end.
Morgoth said:
Launch titles:

GTA 5 (exclusive)
:lol: Yeah, that's not happening. The only exclusive GTA and FF titles in the foreseeable future are gonna be on handhelds. R* and Square Enix won't be able to cover the development costs if they release a bigger game on only one console.
Vaarna_Aarne said:
True, and I wish the current generation lasted for several years more, if only because Atlus only got their technology off the ground with Catherine. I actually wonder if smaller studios will choose to support Nintendo if Sony's and Microsoft's offerings will turn out to be too expensive for them to develop for. I definitely won't be buying a next-gen console for at least 3 years into that generation: too many ways things could turn out.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea, I don't think Sony or Microsoft might even release a new console, the economic viability of developing games for much higher graphical standards is simply not there. And of course, it's absolutely bizarre the Codex wants better graphics when that absolutely means cutting back on gameplay. I'd say fighting games are the ONLY genre that can make use of high end graphics without suffering in gameplay. And they have reached the goal of almost being like 2D animation, so no reason to make poor SNK and ArcSys "obsolete" again.

Morgoth said:

New Disc medium
Cloud system

Launch titles:

GTA 5 (exclusive)

Wait what? Does it sense if the user get a stroke while playing their WiiII and then calls for an ambulance? :M

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Morgoth said:

New Disc medium
Cloud system

Launch titles:

GTA 5 (exclusive)

Wait what? Does it sense if the user get a stroke while playing their WiiII and then calls for an ambulance? :M
Maybe it measures your pulse or sweat output and adjust difficulty level accordingly.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Morgoth said:
KalosKagathos said:
R* and Square Enix won't be able to cover the development costs if they release a bigger game on only one console.
Not a problem if Nintendo threw $50 million at each. MS has done that for the GTA 4 episodes, too.
DLC for a done game. Sony couldn't prevent FF XIII from going multiplatform, and I doubt Nintendo can pull it off with the FF VII remake (assuming it's in development at all).

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
At this point, I am not surprised. The usual console cycle has been 5-6 years since the NES. It makes sense that Nintendo is seeking to do a new console now. Nintendo obviously believes that being first to market will get them an advantage for the next generation.

It'll be interesting to watch what happens. I predict Nintendo will completely miss the point of why the Wii was successful and their next console won't sell nearly as well in the long run, even if it does well initially.

Now that this rumor is confirmed for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft will probably respond by releasing info about their new consoles before too long.

I don't give a shit about console gaming anymore, but the industry goes where the consoles go, and it's interesting to watch.

Rogue

Educated
Morgoth said:
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Morgoth said:

New Disc medium
Cloud system

Launch titles:

GTA 5 (exclusive)

Maybe it measures your pulse or sweat output and adjust difficulty level accordingly.

Bah! If I'd be playing those shit console games, I'd be sweating with rage so much the console would think I'm about to die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom