Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 2 Developer Diary #3: Characters

Dantus12

Educated
The Witcher 2 , devs talk about the Characters.

The previous diary's where about the Engine.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgkb0a ... videogames

In Polish language on this site many videos, also in English for those interested.

The above is the newest.

Achilles

Arcane
Why rage about that? Even if we go back to to PnP D&D days, RPGs were mainly about story and characters.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Alexandros said:
Why rage about that? Even if we go back to to PnP D&D days, RPGs were mainly about story and characters.

However,

011_Octriallach.gif

baronjohn

Cipher
Is it just me or are the Twitcher games really bad? Like the first one, I couldn't even finish the tutorial. A few weeks ago I watched a bit of a let's play and it still looked like a pretty retarded game, maybe not as bad as DA though. Why is everyone so excited about it?

Phelot

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Is it just me or are the Twitcher games really bad? Like the first one, I couldn't even finish the tutorial. A few weeks ago I watched a bit of a let's play and it still looked like a pretty retarded game, maybe not as bad as DA though. Why is everyone so excited about it?

It's not just you. I thought the first game was mediocre at best. I got to the final chapter, but immediately gave up on it.

I really like the atmosphere that these guys put in TWitcher and from the looks of it, Twitcher 2, the costumes are great, the locales look cool, I was always looking forward to trudging through everything else in the game just to see what else I could see and explore.

Of course, everything else sucked and from the looks of it, 2 will be more of the same. All these vids seem to show us is how bad ass Geralt is and how "KEWL!" all the animations, the "adult" dialogue, etc etc. Shit, the actual gameplay doesn't look that impressive. I mean, sneaking around and shit is nice and all, but if 2's "CnC" is anything like 1's then it's just a gimmick, a sham.

EDIT: Don't worry, dress up is in

DefJam101

Arcane
Huh? TWitcher's CnC wasn't bad. It was the rough translation, shallow combat and lack of character development options that people (rightfully) criticized. From an action/adventure perspective it's pretty fun.

I pay more attention to art design / world design in RPGs than gameplay, though, so I can see how many would dislike it.

phelot said:
All these vids seem to show us is how bad ass Geralt is and how "KEWL!" all the animations, the "adult" dialogue, etc etc.
Well, that's what sells copies. :)

Phelot

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
Huh? TWitcher's CnC wasn't bad. It was the rough translation, shallow combat and lack of character development options that people (rightfully) criticized. From an action/adventure perspective it's pretty fun.

I must disagree. I felt that the CnC was also very poorly made and gimmicky. Lots of choices that simply change uniforms or replace one uber weapon with a different uber weapon, decide which red haired lady you fuck, etc etc...

I would say that the Chapter 2 murder investigation had some nice CnC (despite the God awful translation that made it incredibly hard to figure out what I was actually discovering) except that fingering (heh) the wrong person made little difference. You still fight that dude at the swamps and the game still takes away your option to kill the guy. Just some arbitrary "WE WILL FINISH THIS LATER D00D! YOU CAN COUNT ON IT!"

Multi-headed Cow

Looking forward to this. Unfortunately it looks like another RPG won't live up to Bloodlines' superior face technology, but I have high hopes.

Andrej

Liturgist
I got the feeling that I'll be dissapointed with TW2, just because I did like the original quite a bit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
commie said:
Witcher II will suck. No dragons you see. Every 'original' fantasy RPG needs dragons.
Actually it'll have at least one dragon. 1:30

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ha, so now everyone that was fapping to the Witcher as one of the great Codex approved RPG's of old(see previous lists) all of a sudden decides that it's the worst pile of crap on the earth...ooh, so edgy! Don't worry guys, DA2 is a comin' so you'll be able to hurr, durr at that with a lot more conviction soon enough.

Phelot

Arcane
commie said:
Ha, so now everyone that was fapping to the Witcher as one of the great Codex approved RPG's of old(see previous lists) all of a sudden decides that it's the worst pile of crap on the earth...ooh, so edgy! Don't worry guys, DA2 is a comin' so you'll be able to hurr, durr at that with a lot more conviction soon enough.

My very first post here was bashing Twitcher and I still hold to the opinion that it was mediocre and not deserving of what little praise it got.

Baron

Arcane
Fuck 'em, ignorant savages. All the more whoremongering albino monster killer for me.

phelot said:
DefJam101 said:

I must disagree. I felt that the CnC was also very poorly made and gimmicky. Lots of choices that simply change uniforms or replace one uber weapon with a different uber weapon, decide which red haired lady you fuck, etc etc...

I would say that the Chapter 2 murder investigation had some nice CnC (despite the God awful translation that made it incredibly hard to figure out what I was actually discovering) except that fingering (heh) the wrong person made little difference. You still fight that dude at the swamps and the game still takes away your option to kill the guy. Just some arbitrary "WE WILL FINISH THIS LATER D00D! YOU CAN COUNT ON IT!"

So, better than most crpgs including the all-time greats, then? Swapping weapons and allies is better than what 99% of crpgs offer, including Deus Ex, PS:T and Bloodlines. Most crpgs don't have ANY practical consequences of C+C - just story consequences.

Andrej

Liturgist
The Witcher is the first game where I actually had trouble making a choice. When the Elves take the entire village hostage - it was actually a difficult choice for me and I loved how if you chose to remain neutral everyone hated you. Neutral was in essence the worst choice, very nice.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
commie said:
Ha, so now everyone that was fapping to the Witcher as one of the great Codex approved RPG's of old(see previous lists) all of a sudden decides that it's the worst pile of crap on the earth...ooh, so edgy!
Hivemind fallacy, don't follow the way of the sky. There were always Witcher-haters, there'll be new ones, and that's understandable when something has significant flaws.

kasmas

Educated
Love TW and i am still faping to it . So far all video diaries exceeded my expectations, TW2 is gonna be great .
Choices are the most interesting part of TW because there is no good or evil with the traditional meaning . you can totally screw things up while having the best of intentions... i hope this is retained in TW2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom