Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2 Is A Pure-Blooded RPG

DraQ

Arcane
mondblut said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
since it’s a pure-blooded RPG... if you’re into action, there’s going to be quite a lot of it... If the game sucks for the story, the hero, the world – that would hit us really hard.

He means to say a "pure blooded RPG" is an action game which happens to have sucky gameplay?

I wish I could line up all storyfags against a wall and shoot them one after another. I really wish to.
Go play an abstract game of Chess instead of masturbating to snuff again, mondblut.

Jim Profit

Educated
Knights of the old republic was a good rpg with little combat. Hopefully they'll make kotor even better with more roleplaying options and bigger impacts on the story.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
What an idiotic statement he made for all the reasons pointed out in this thread.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.gamingexcellence.com/pc/game ... 0629.shtml

The live demo I watched had Geralt, the titular Witcher, running with two companions, one from the previous game, towards a small town known as Flotsam. Along the way, he got into battles, showcasing the new combat system, which again scraps what the previous game used. The demo player told me of how they wanted a more streamlined combat system, making it possible to string together combos that used both quick and strong attacks. This means not having to pause your attacks to switch your stance. Magic also still makes an appearance, though the only spell that was showcased was a stun trap that was set off when enemies ran into it, exploding and stunning all hostiles around it.

After the combat (what later included a boss, which was at least twenty times as large as Geralt was), we were treated to a dialogue moment where Geralt had to convince a set of guards as well as a crowd to let a few people charged with various crimes free. The demoer managed to get the crowd on our side, setting our friend Dandelion free (who fans of the book series might recognize), all while only giving the guards a few bruises.

What does return is the element of choice, allowing you to shape the story as you go. The developer told us that there would be three endings to the story, but a good more number of choices than that to make as you play. In addition, when you reach events that have been shaped by the choices you've made in the past, Geralt will reminisce about what had made things end up this way.

Other things have been improved, though not really finalized so we weren't able to get a look at them: character customization is still a large priority in the game, allowing you to build a Geralt the way you want to. Other game elements such have alchemy have also made a return, but have been streamlined without being simplified.

Edit:

Can you spot the improvement?

http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/up ... Pack_7.png

Rhalle

Magister
Vault Dweller said:
Can you spot the improvement?

Moar tits.

And Geralt has a scar but is still younger and less of a lupine albino than he was in W1.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For me it was mildly entertaining mediocrity that could have been significantly better if they made better decisions, just like most titles. However, they seem to want to make bad decisions. I also find relentless criticism just as enjoyable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What does return is the element of choice, allowing you to shape the story as you go. The developer told us that there would be three endings to the story, but a good more number of choices than that to make as you play. In addition, when you reach events that have been shaped by the choices you've made in the past, Geralt will reminisce about what had made things end up this way.

How is that any different than the last game? Just more pointless still image 'reminisce' cutscenes?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:

Silicone tits in my fantasy?

And Geralt looks like some ugly prick.

Seriously though the combat does sound improved, not that it's a big achievement concidering how terrible the original one was. It would be better if they avoided LARPing from TW1 as well where all your choices decided whether you will fight red or green guys in the same place.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's interesting how Volly makes less and less sense with each passing day.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Nah. I just have to dumb things down so Witcher fanboys can understand things too... just like I have to clearly explain things it seems so those same Witcher fanboys can understand the dumbing down process.

Fuckin' roofles eh! :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom