Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Witcher 2 - written in English first

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
What? The Polish writing was awesome, don't know

1) what you've been smoking;
2) whether it's even possible for us to properly discuss the merits of Polish writing on a foreign-language board;
3) whether it wouldn't boil down to "lol it's a matter of taste anyway".

Still, I doubt you can reasonably deny that quite a lot of conversations, e.g. the one with one of the dwarves' (Act 2) view on life, or the ones with Baranina, or during Leuvardeen's party, wouldn't be out of place in a good movie.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Konjad said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :'( Fuck you, CDP :( Witcher written in English won't be the same Witcher. Seriously, Wiedźmin was full of Polish jokes, word-plays and we even had our president Kaczyński's words in it "Spieprzaj dziadu" which were very popular in our culture (especially teenagers). Now everything will be gone... WHY?* It's a decline!

* - screw foreigners!

Cry_some_more.jpg

CRYYYYYY SOOOMEEEEE MOOOOOOOOOREEE!!!!!!

Black_Willow

Arcane
Elwro said:
What? The Polish writing was awesome, don't know

1) what have you been smoking;
2) whether it's even possible for us to properly discuss the merits of Polish writing on a foreign-language board;
3) whether it wouldn't boil down to "lol it's a matter of taste anyway".

Still, I doubt you can reasonably deny that quite a lot of conversations, e.g. the one with one of the dwarves' (Act 2) view on life, or the ones with Baranina, or during Leuvardeen's party, wouldn't be out of place in a good movie.
I think he's simply trolling without even playing it in Polish.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Black_Willow said:
MasPingon said:
Elwro said:
So if the writing is poor this time, they won't be able to blame this on the translation. Seriously though, remembering TW's translation fuckup, this seems to be a very reasonable move for a multi-language game.

What exacly do you mean by translation fuckup? I was playing both version( polish first, then english) and a difference between those ain't so huge. English version is as piss poor as polish, it's the same not finished dialogs and some sentences "from the ass".

The problem in TW 1 was not translation, it was the writing, which compared to the other crpg productions was very poor. Polish version suffers from the same things as english
Stop the lies. Srsly.

MasPingon

Arcane
Elwro said:

Yeah, there were some good dialogs, but it's about 60 h/long game and those are the best of it. Remeber the begining of the game? Dialogs with Leo? I couldn't belive that could take place in a game with 6 years work on. Dialog with Triss in the bad? That wasn't even Troma Project level. Writing in TW was very rough. There are some good dialogs, but there are some of the worst dialogs I have ever seen too. Sometimes it's so campy that you could think they made it and didin't even read it

Lothers

Scholar
Jeśli to schrzanią to powyrywam kłaki z rzyci i przyłożę rózgą na goły tyłek!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
He can read; he just can't write.

WHICH BRINGS US BACK TO THE TOPIC because it's precisely the case of 90% non-native speakers of English, including me: they can read, but they can't write on a professional literary level (ffs, just look at the awkward epression I just concocted), so they shouldn't be chosen as writers for a very expensive development project.

Casus belli

Liturgist
don't forget the sex cards. i suppose that's one of the situations where a picture is worth a thousand words (or rather the quality of a thousand words).

Rhalle

Magister
Casus belli said:
don't forget the sex cards. i suppose that's one of the situations where a picture is worth a thousand words (or rather the quality of a thousand words).

The sex cards made the game because they were unabashedly sleazy.

It will just be corny Bioware extreme puppet sex without them.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Exactly. Dump the fucking "relationships" ala Biowhore and keep the fucking sex cards. Yes, they are juvenile. No, Fable is still the un-crowned king of juvenile shit. Keep them, ditch the romances, and make Witcher different from Biowhore bullcrap.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
bhlaab said:
POST LAND INKS
Fixed.

I'm sure that whatever CD Projekt comes up with it will be much better then Fallout 3 which is "the best RPG of the year 2008/2009" or so they say.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Goral said:
bhlaab said:
POST LAND INKS
Fixed.

I'm sure that whatever CD Projekt comes up with it will be much better then Fallout 3 which is "the best RPG of the year 2008/2009" or so they say.
You sure, I heard Fallout 3 was pretty good.

kris

Arcane
Volourn said:
Theyb betray their own country and language in the pursuit of money!

HANG THE TRAITORS!!!!!

all Swedish game developers write almost exclusivly in English.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom