Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
I was about to ask, just how much more shit is there? I've done all POI in Vellen, moved on to Skellige. Finished main story, but still have a handful of side quests and contracts. Would love to find all of the places of power, but 110+ POIs? with a fuckton of them in the sea? That's just retarded.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I explored the entire sea and yeah, unless you're completely obsessive or short on cash there's nothing to see there. There are a couple of nice side quests you can find on the coast and the islands, so you might want to do a bit of exploration, but it's just not worth going through all the endless smuggler's caches and hidden treasures, all of them containing the same junk loot (usually the most annoying type, e.g. some shitty armor that will encumber you right away but which you don't want to throw away since you'll make thousands of crowns when you haul all that stuff to a vendor) and combat against sirens or drowners that can literally be won by just repeatedly pressing one key. Everything interesting is located on land.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
It's probably less of a hassle to just carry everything, as there's no real penalty to being over-encumbered. The worst thing that can happen is having to jump over a gap, which might require you to sprint, but you can do everything else just fine even if you go over your maximum carry weight ten times over. It's tedious but that's the only downside.

Selling the stuff can take a while, but you can always just stash it or use it as an excuse to buy gems, diagrams and other expensive, rare or potentially useful items from merchants, just so that you can get rid of the dozen Skellige gambesons and Novigrad swords that you're carrying. Of course you don't really need all that money in the vanilla game, but you might find it more useful in the expansion.

Gerrard

Arcane
Will they ever release a patch that doesn't reset the fucking keybindings?

Also, I played most of the game on version 1.06 and had no crashes since then. Now I played for 30 minutes on 1.11 and the game crashed.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
Finished up in Velen and Skellige, finally something happens in the story.

But I think the siege in Kaer Morhen was pretty crappy. The Wild Hunt are just not very interesting to fight. And too bad that Vesemir died of all people, he was the coolest witcher.

I will say that I found the scenes after Ciri freaks out and... screams everything asunder really well done. The funeral was well executed.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't read the books, don't know more than the bare minimum about the world, so sorry if I'm asking a dumb question, but is there a lore-related reason that the sun rises around 3:30AM and sets around 5PM?

Starwars

Arcane
I'm wondering more about the fact that all trees seem to be made of some strange material that causes them to sway like they do in the wind.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm asking about the sunrise/sunset times, because it's been so many patches since release, and if this was a bug, I thought they would have fixed it by now. The trees, I guess it's too difficult to represent only the thinner branches waving when the wind is less strong. Or maybe the wind isn't simulated in the game at all, and the trees just have a "calm weather" and "storm" animations.

Gerrard

Arcane
I haven't read the books, don't know more than the bare minimum about the world, so sorry if I'm asking a dumb question, but is there a lore-related reason that the sun rises around 3:30AM and sets around 5PM?
Probably same reason why the sun is huge.

Frozen

Arcane
There is no lore reason.
You can headcanon that its the night/day cycle in that world like the strange weather session with mixed sun/rain all the time and super strong wind.

Starwars

Arcane
Super strong wind that affects trees in ways it shouldn't but also only affects hair as if it were a light breeze.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't think the sun sets at 5 PM, it's closer to 8 PM or even a bit later than that. According to this page about a randomly chosen location in Eastern Potato, in midsummer the sun rises at around 4:30 AM and sets before 9 PM, so it's not that far off. With some searching you'd probably find a place and time in Poland that more or less matches TW3's numbers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jeff Vogel likes Witcher 3: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-witcher-3-is-amazingly-written-and.html

Much modern gaming criticism is based on this basic theory: Popular culture shapes how people think, which shapes the world. Therefore, art is inherently political. It should focus on showing the world in the lovely state we want it to be, as opposed to the unpleasant way it might actually be.

(To see an example of this viewpoint, consider the well-known Tropes vs. Women video series. Go here and read the last three paragraphs of the transcript.)

The Witcher 3, on the other hand, depicts a medieval, war-torn, highly patriarchal society. It is only rarely judgmental. The game sets up how its world is, and then it deals with the consequences, logically grinding from one inevitable event to the next.

This game doesn't lie to you, even if some want it to. It comes from a land that knows full well how cruel the world can be, and it knows that ignoring that cruelty is an insult to our ancestors, the ones who withstood it in order to make a world for us. This leads The Witcher 3 to a lot of really interesting places, and I’m genuinely surprised game writers haven’t dug into it more.

It is a game full of grim humor, some of which was a bit much for me. (For example, I absolutely would have cut the gwent card with the joke about "raping for Redania.")

It's also a game where horror sits side by side with silly humor and pop culture references. There's nothing unusual about this. Humans often use inappropriate humor to deal with difficult circumstances. (Example: Google "jewish nazi jokes". Or just watch any old Mel Brooks movie.)

Video games need more of this. Our industry tends to approach politics and other real world conflicts in a simplistic way, with black and white morality and good/evil choices that don’t line up with how things really work. For all its occasional whimsy, The Witcher 3 reflects real thought about humanity and how it bears up (or breaks) under oppression.

That is why I say The Witcher 3 is a great example of diversity in our industry. There are many sorts of diversity. It brings diversity of thought, perspective, history. It is infused with a different, harder way of thinking and regarding the world.

If you are an academic preparing to write the 1000000th article on Proteus or Gone Home or Spec Ops: The Line, might I direct you to a title that is under-examined and worthy of analysis?

Cadmus

Arcane
jesus fuck, I can't stand these assholes
it's not art, it's a cool game, go fuck yourself Jef Veogl
retarded cocksucker lecturing people on basic things like humour EXCEPT MAYBE WE SHOULD TAKE OUT THE JOKE WITH RAPE IN IT

Perkel

Arcane

Garbage tier piece.

Says he is not EE dude so he shouldn't talk about motives behind that world and yet delves into it and says that TW world has something to do with polish history and oppression (which is fasle as Sapkowski simply wrote is as realistic take on fantasy tropes not some Easter Europen oppression lalaland).
Muh ponies, muh Anita, muh wymyn.
Muh Family Matters "you should talk about it but i won't talk about it"

AwesomeButton

Patron
Hearing anyone talk about "east europeans" is enough for me to write them off as someone who has no idea what he's talking about.

That gives out the same level of knowledge of the region as being surprised that "Europe is not a country?".

Also, the putting on airs on the subject of "videogames are art" is pitiful.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
To be fair, it says there's no CDP involvement so makes sense it's not in the CDP subforum :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom