Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No list menu works well with m+k and SkyUI is no different.
Bullshit.
If list menus would be better for m+k we wouldn't have Windows and OS going into grid design.
I use list menus all the time. Saying grid icons are universally better for everything is dumb as hell imo.

made

Arcane
Shut your whore mouth. Grid inventory rules. Given sufficiently distinct icons you'll memorize what's what soon enough.
Those are not sufficiently distinct icons. I'm not going to memorize dozens of potion colors, that's a ridiculous demand.
Then the icons need changing, not the entire inventory UI.

If you want to complain, complain about the tiny scrollable stat window with huge text on the right. Verily, that is an abomination unto God.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's totally impossible to do this when you make a game with a million crafting ingredients and potions.

Pretty certain the crafting interface in PoE is going to be a list, as it should be. Hybrid inventories ftw. From each according to its ability to each according to its need.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cool Geralt 63 CD Projekt.

By the by I hadn't seen the inventory until now or maybe I did and I forgot buuuuuuuuuut http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/14/aug/wic03b.jpg

Damnit CDP. I hated the list in Witcher 2 because it was too damn small and required a lot of tedious scrolling. Now I have to mouse-over a whole bunch of multi-colored potions and crap which is comparably tedious. Why don't you cargo cult copy SkyUI?
Shut your whore mouth. Grid inventory rules. Given sufficiently distinct icons you'll memorize what's what soon enough.

Agreed. The Witcher 1 inventory is top-tier.

made

Arcane
It's totally impossible to do this when you make a game with a million crafting ingredients and potions.

Pretty certain the crafting interface in PoE is going to be a list, as it should be. Hybrid inventories ftw. From each according to its ability to each according to its need.
Sky UI:

3863-1-1357326722.jpg

Case closed.

kris

Arcane
I had an discussion with an american guy that made concept art for a company in Poland about just his work. Generally speaking I think games and in particular fantasy games have a astounding lack of imagination in its ranks. I can find so much more fantastic things on our planet than compared to what is found in most games. He told me to check our The witcher 3, because he felt it would look amazing.

I got to agree that it look really good. Its visuals is a step above most other RPGs and some of the enviroments is also fine on several levels. Not that they for a supposed fantasy world blow me away in anyway, but they are a step ahead of the curve. to see a lack of knee high obstacles that you can't cross (they are present, but you can cross them) is also a positive.

In fact the only thing putting me off TW3 is the fact that you play a set protagonist, I personally don't like that.

Tytus

Arcane
In fact the only thing putting me off TW3 is the fact that you play a set protagonist, I personally don't like that.

You do realize this is the third game in the series, right? A series that does this since Witcher 1.

So a person has three choices:

a) get used to it.
b) don't play it.
c) whine about like a fag.

I would understand if you were complaining about this with Witcher 1, but at this point you are just a cunt.

Don't worry though. Future Witcher games, won't have Geralt in it, so maybe they'll go with character creation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Settle down, Tytus.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-includes-gwent-a-hearthstone-esque-card-game
The Witcher 3 includes Gwent, a Hearthstone-esque card game
Physical cards added to Xbox One collector's edition.

CD Projekt Red has revealed Gwent, a competitive card game that will be included in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for players on all platforms.

Gwent is designed to be a competitive game for two players - each with their own deck of spells and battlefield units.

More than 150 cards will be included, with four different faction classes to play as.

"Invented by dwarves and perfected over centuries of tavern table play, Gwent is a game of initial simplicity and ultimate depth, something beloved by both road-weary travellers during long nights around the campfire and elegant nobles looking to liven up dragging dinner parties," the press release reads.

Owners of the Xbox One Collector's Edition will get two decks of physical Gwent cards to play with - along with a new cloth map.

Card battling games have recently seen a surge in popularity since the launch of Blizzard's Hearthstone. As well as the annual Magic: Duals of the Planewalkers series, Ubisoft has launched Assassin's Creed tie-in Memories. WWE has also just launched a 2K-developed CCG of its own, WWE Supercard.

Cardgames, cardgames everywhere

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Game within a game, nice. Witcher dice game was fun, the second implementation of said mini game did not draw my attention. Let's hope this gwent will be as good as Tetra Master was :M

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
You know you can buy the Xbox CE and enjoy the exclusive content without actually owning an Xbox, right?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seems like a PR blunder on CDPR's part to show favor towards any system, even if it's just an inconsequential CE edition deal. They've spent years cultivating the narrative that they look after players' interests, and that they are also pc-centric if anything. This exclusive deal shows that CDPR too has a price, and that they can be bought. I was under the impression they were self-sufficient, unlike the post Witcher 1 days, so I question if this deal was even necessary.

It's a slippery slope on which they are embarking. It doesn't dispel my doubts that they are the next Crytek in the making given how they keep chasing after trends.

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm not buying the CE this time around because:
a) it's too fucking expensive
b) it's too fucking expensive because they put stupid shit in there that most people don't care about (and the final product will probably look like shit again)
So I don't really care if the console version has exclusive junk in it.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Agreed. The Witcher 1 inventory is top-tier.
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on this forum.

Witcher's inventory was terribad, even after they patched it.

Case closed.
I see a fantastic UI that lists a ton of items with a lot of need-to-know information at once so I don't see your point.

kris

Arcane
I would understand if you were complaining about this with Witcher 1, but at this point you are just a cunt.

I see a angry potato.

I'm always angry due to the small size of my penis, but that doesn't change that you're retarded.

But that is just silly. You do for some reason claim that someone can't express an opinion about a game component just because that component was there in the previous installments of the game. Thats not how things work and the only thing retarded is you complaining about me expressing my opinion. But this go down to your lack of reading comprehension. You called what I said "a complaint" when it was a opinion about what I prefer in a game. And since you think I complained about your potato art you go around saying silly things.

I remember when people said they wanted Fallout 3 to be real-time, just like the first game. But since Fallout had been... oh wait.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-includes-gwent-a-hearthstone-esque-card-game

UPDATE: CD Projekt has issued Eurogamer a statement on the reaction to its announcement of Xbox One-exclusive physic items for the Collector's Edition of fantasy role-playing game The Witcher 3.

CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwiński said the deal with Microsoft was about making The Witcher 3 more visible worldwide and, following that, selling more copies of the game.

The statement is reproduced below:

Looking at the heated comments, I believe that our announcement of the physical addition of two decks of Gwent cards and a cloth map, requires a further word from us.

Here at CD Projekt Red, we always put gamers first. Our PC versions are released DRM-free, we bend over backwards to give you the most beefed up editions of our games (be it standard or Collector's), and we deliver the same game, regardless of platform or version you buy. Moreover, we promised not have any exclusive DLCs, neither per platform nor per retailer, and we do stand by our promise--nothing has changed, nor will change in this regard.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand that these extra items might be desirable for Witcher fans playing the game on other platforms. However, as we are not offering any platform or retail exclusive DLCs or any other form of gameplay differentiation, we do have to find other ways to support our partners. We are also providing special pre-order items for certain retailers around the world, including Witcher comic books, posters, steel books or medallions. Funnily enough, we did not notice any heated comments on the pre-order specials.

What is the reason? Why are we doing this? We need the support of partners to make our game visible worldwide. This should hopefully translate to better sales, which will in consequence allow us to do what we have been doing for the last 10 years, i.e. reinvest this money to make more great RPGs, while still sticking to our values.

If you still consider that adding two decks of Gwent cards and a map of the in-game world to the Xbox One CE equals us betraying our values and not fulfilling our promises, well, it does make us sad, but the final call is always yours to make.

Still, I do hope that what we offer is unique and we can ask you to give us the benefit of the doubt. We have more great things to announce for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in the coming months and I promise you won't be disappointed (yes, yes, there are no more exclusives coming).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom