Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher The Witcher - A New Saga Begins

RPK

Scholar
They could probably create a new character for a new generation. But that would be like replacing Bruce Wayne at this point.
There actually was a cartoon in which Robin is instructed by old Bruce Wayne how to be a Batman.
"First, find some dumb young kid. Dress him in bright orange while you're all in black. That way, he's the one that shot at, not you."

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Terry was not a Robin... :M
Mea culpa. I did watch a few episodes, but didn't get the details of the story (aside from the old Batman training his replacement).

I wont derail the thread, but using that example, I don't think that cartton ran for many seasons. They tied it in with the Justice League cartoon and Amanda Wallace eventaully revealed that:

Terry was Bruce Wayne's clone. But he came out a dunce. Then in an alternate history moment he got killed by two of Harley Quinn's granddaughters or whatever relation they were.

But le originale is le originale. I bet that cartoon would have run for longer if Bruce Wayne had jumped into a lazarus pit after a few seasons. I think he did in one episode, but it wore off.

Robotigan

Learned
RPG plots are bad precisely because players want to make decisions, therefore the story can't be as thought out and controlled as a written novel or a movie. Then again I don't require a great plot from an RPG, a passable one is all I need. If I want a great plot I'd read LotR or Dune or Three Body Problem.

I need games to do what a book can never achieve - make me part of the world.
Emil gave an entire GDC conference on this and everyone hated him for it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The new Witcher games with the Unreal 5 engine will precede the Witcher 1 remake:

https://www.parkiet.com/technologie...ktu-najwieksze-projekty-sa-jeszcze-przed-nami
W strategii zapowiedzieliście prace nad siedmioma grami. Jaka może być ich kolejność?

Zasygnalizowaliśmy, że pierwsze trzy to są gry wiedźmińskie – dwie o nazwach kodowych „Syriusz i „Polaris”, a trzecia to remake pierwszego Wiedźmina, znana pierwotnie pod nazwą „Canis Majoris”.

Nie podaliśmy kolejności, ale potwierdziliśmy, że remake, za którym stoi studio Fool’s Theory i nad którym sprawujemy nadzór kreatywny, będzie bazował na technologii „Polarisa”. Kolejność tych dwóch można więc wydedukować.
In the strategy you've announced work on seven games. What could their succession be?
We've signaled that the first three are games in the Witcher universe - two with the codenames "Sirius" and "Polaris", and the third one is the remake of the Witcher 1, known initially under the name "Canis Majoris".
We haven't given the order in which they would come out, but we have confirmed that the remake, which will be developed by the studio Fool's Theory and over which we exercise creative oversight, will be based on the tech for "Polaris". Thus the succession of these two can be deduced.

We haven't given the order in which they would come out, but we have confirmed that the remake, which will be developed by the studio Fool's Theory and over which we exercise creative oversight, will be based on the tech for "Polaris". Thus the succession of these two can be deduced.
The whole external studio thing still sounds risky no matter whether they're saying the remake is going to start development as soon as the witcher 4/polaris tech/tools/assets are ready (thus developed alongside witcher 4), or only after the witcher 4 is finished.

What is a "contracted external studio" supposed to do when the witcher 4 "Polaris" tech they're supposed to build their game off of (not waiting for the full game+feedback apparently) is inevitably late by a year or more? Are they expected to sit on their asses on CDPR's dime? Not get paid until the tech is ready? Live off tiny short development contracts?

AFAIK neither kotor2 nor fonv were planned years in advance of development/full production. The sequels didn't get the go ahead until kotor1/fo3 popped out and turned out to be hits, thus proven to have successful formulas that sequels could/should follow. And obsidian happened to be very free/available at the time to start working on them then & there.

What happens if Polaris/Witcher 4 releases and turns out to be a flop while the remake is being developed following the same formula?

Same thing if the remake is only expected to go into full production after the Witcher 4 is almost finished/just came out: what is the external studio supposed to do if Witcher 4's release/completion is delayed by a year or more?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamesradar.com/finally-cdpr-calls-it-the-witcher-4/

Finally, CDPR calls it The Witcher 4​

Even if it was "a slip of the tongue"

Update
: Not unsurprisingly, a representative from CDPR confirmed that this mention of The Witcher 4 was an accident. I can only assume that so many people have called Project Polaris The Witcher 4 out of necessity, with no official name to go on, that it's now gotten into the devs' heads too. Here's the full statement for clarity:

"This was actually a slip of the tongue. Polaris will be the first game in a new Witcher saga. The saga will consist of three games."

Original story follows...

CD Projekt Red has been talking up Project Polaris, known to most people as The Witcher 4, for several months, but it's never actually acknowledged its de facto title – until today, that is, when CEO Adam Kiciński finally joined us in calling this thing The Witcher 4.

During the Q&A portion of CDPR's latest earnings conference call(opens in new tab), Kiciński discussed the implications of the studio's shift to Unreal Engine 5 in partnership with Epic Games. "We are preparing things on the pipeline side and toolset sides," he begins. "Some developers are still learning the technology, and at the same time, there are teams working together with Epic on those aspects that are needed for our open-world RPGs. For the first project, Polaris, it will, maybe not slow down, but it won't accelerate the process.

"But for the next projects, we assume that it should smoothen the production," he continues. "That was one of the reasons behind saying the strategy that we want to release three big Witcher games within six years, starting from the release of Polaris, which is Witcher 4."

Ahh, "Witcher 4." Music to my ears. I had some coworkers listen to this section just to make sure I didn't mishear Kiciński here, and I think we can finally agree that The Witcher 4 is indeed The Witcher 4.

That being said, this doesn't mean the game will actually be released under the title of The Witcher 4. More to the point, I'm willing to bet that this won't be the final name. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has a prominent subtitle, and with The Witcher 4 kicking off a new saga, it's sure to have its own motif. Even so, after some confusing semantics, it's just nice to see CDPR join us on Planet Sensible and acknowledge how this thing fits into the series overall.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
blessed by grandpa himself

Reminder about the 3rd guy in the top-right picture...

Screenshot-2021-06-25-211706.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Never seen a more mediocre writer get this much attention and money since Paulo Coehlo with his book for dumb people, the alchemist. CDPR blessed Sapkowski's bum life.
Sapkowski being an extremely mediocre writer is exactly what I was going to say. No wonder the games are tediously mediocre as well. Also a reminder that Sapkowski hates video games because he thinks himself above them, what a joke.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Never seen a more mediocre writer get this much attention and money since Paulo Coehlo with his book for dumb people, the alchemist. CDPR blessed Sapkowski's bum life.
Sapkowski being an extremely mediocre writer is exactly what I was going to say. No wonder the games are tediously mediocre as well. Also a reminder that Sapkowski hates video games because he thinks himself above them, what a joke.
I doubt he has an opinion. It was a high brow opinion to look down on video games and he mindlessly repeated it. Nowadays, it's much more accepted. He has no opinion of his own, cause he wouldn't know hentai from a video game.

Also, asking a writer's opinion on video games is like asking a pop start's opinion on politics.

Harthwain

Magister
Sapkowski being an extremely mediocre writer is exactly what I was going to say. No wonder the games are tediously mediocre as well.
That's a weird thing to say, considering he didn't take part in creating any of the titles in any capacity, despite being asked by CDPR, which came to bite him in the ass when he started the legal battle with CDPR to get more money out of them than he originally agreed to (and smugly thought he was a smart one by doing so).

Also a reminder that Sapkowski hates video games because he thinks himself above them, what a joke.
He is an uncouth lout. It's not that he just hates video games - he straight up insulted people who play video games (including his own fans), because "he doesn't know anyone intelligent who plays video games". This man belongs in the past. It's as simple as that. So fuck him and his opinions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sapkowski being an extremely mediocre writer is exactly what I was going to say. No wonder the games are tediously mediocre as well.
That's a weird thing to say, considering he didn't take part in creating any of the titles in any capacity, despite being asked by CDPR, which came to bite him in the ass when he started the legal battle with CDPR to get more money out of them than he originally agreed to (and smugly thought he was a smart one by doing so).

I meant that since the books are so mediocre, the games inherited that as well.

yellowcake

Arcane
Jesus Christ give the guy a rest. He's an old cranky alcoholic man and he made pretty good. The books are big in slavic caountries where the translation is not lost. As far as having an impact on Polish culture the guy is the new Sienkiewicz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom