Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher

sheek

Arbiter
Has anybody checked out this game?:

http://www.thewitcher.com/

From what I gather it's a 3D, 3rd person action/RPG game based on the books of a Polish fantasy author.

It looks really good and sounds like it could be interesting.

The team seem mostly focussed on graphics for now.

From the website:

Main Features
Dynamic and visually spectacular action

* Real time combat with motion captured animations performed by a master of medieval sword combat.
* Ragdoll and rigid body physics, powered by Criterion’s Karma Engine to simulate interaction with opponents as well as elements of surrounding.

Deep and intriguing storyline

* Interesting story full of twists and turns in a complex and coherent setting.
* Most quests can be accomplished in several ways.
* Three different endings that depend on player's actions and choices throughout the whole adventure.

I got the video and had the impression the combat is similar to Final Fantasy or console games. I don't usual like that but it would be worth a try.

Now the point is that they're advertising this as an RPG. What do you guys think? What's the potential?

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
In short, it has the potential to be an excellent Console RPG. And that's not a compliment in here.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I understand that as a noob, your first priority is to inform us about every game in existence, which is awesome, of course. However, feel free to click on this link http://www.rpgcodex.com/listgames.php (yes, I was tempted to tubgirl him) and search info on every game you can think of.

To answer your question, here is another link
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 25&start=0

Also, I'm working on an interview with CDProject, which should be available to public by the end of March.

sheek

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
I understand that as a noob, your first priority is to inform us about every game in existence, which is awesome, of course. However, feel free to click on this link http://www.rpgcodex.com/listgames.php (yes, I was tempted to tubgirl him) and search info on every game you can think of.

To answer your question, here is another link
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 25&start=0

Also, I'm working on an interview with CDProject, which should be available to public by the end of March.

You know I did a search and I didn't come up with anything except a post in an "RPG you're looking forward to" thread - so I thought it might be worth bringing up.

I didn't know about the "game list"... which by the way that's pretty cool idea. :idea:

And you know, I'm not trying to inform anyone, I'm trying to start a discussion.

Kraszu

Prophet
Fight will not be like in ff, from whot i have seen it is point & click, and when you click in correct time you perform stronger atack.

In short, it has the potential to be an excellent Console RPG. And that's not a compliment in here.

From whot i've seen and read about it, it don't feel like console rpg at all.

sheek

Arbiter
We believe the time has come to really think about what an RPG game should look like. Which elements should it consist of, and which of them are most vital. Lately, the technical progress has exceeded all the borders, we’re able to create photorealistic graphics, but still, the attitude towards RPGs does not change. Most of developers tend to copy the clichés and fear the changes.

That is why, we decided to change the attitude. We sort of … ‘factorized’ the genre, put it into pieces. Next, we scrutinized and thought over all the aspects and tried to pick out the most important RPG features. Finally, it was our task to put them together the best way we could think of, using the latest development techniques and available technology. We’re quite aware that not all RPG fans will accept our redefinition, but that’s mostly because they’ve gotten used to clichés and certain mechanisms.

Feels like they're playing on some "dynamic, innovative, developing world" shit for the foreigners. I think they mention they're from Poland quite a lot.

Kraszu

Prophet

Why so long?

Darkeners: How the player will be able to handle all of items found during the game? Will it be something traditional like in Baldur's Gate or Diablo where you could take all of them (from the corpses) and sell to merchants only those that weren't useful for us? Or maybe you plan something similar to Bard's Tale where useless items are sold automatically and we keep those that we plan on using?

Michał Madej, (Chief Designer): This is a classic element of RPGs but witchers are monster slayers not junk merchants or grave robbers etc. That's why in our game this problem is rather marginal (you cannot physically carry too much) and your main source of income are witchers' tasks.

That sound good actually, anyway there is not enough info to say if the game will be eny good or not.

merry andrew

Erudite
aweigh said:
What the fuck, no summons? Fuck CDProjekt then.
Dude chill out there are plenty of summons. I even heard alt toons are viable due to the character advancement system. Kick back yo.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The Witcher will pwn all competitors in the newly redefined genre.

No, really, from what I've seen & read on Polish fora it seems to me that The Witcher might be a very enjoyable game, if somewhat twitchy. It also seems far from completion. It is supposedly opposed to the "ph4t l3wt" trend - there will generally be less stuff in the game, but what will be, is to be meaningful.
I'm sure anyone who read the amazingly-written books has to have high hopes for the game from the start - you'll be playing the main hero of the cycle! Afaik the books will finally be released in English, so maybe you'll be able to read them...I hope the translation is good.
Unfortunately, CDP seem to have taken the "you're the strongest of all, but you forgot much and have to learn again" route in order for the hero not to start the game as the ultimate killing machine.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
All I've heard or seen so far was fairly positive. A small inventory, so no focus on looting, potions with poisonous effects, different ways of completing quests, influence of reputation etc.

Of course I expect an Action-RPG without too deep character development, and probably a linear main plot, but hey, I like Gothic and Legacy of Kain for that matter. I don't mind some twitch combat and an interesting story. And somehow I trust The Witcher with interesting story more than, say, Oblivion.

kohla

Educated
Looks interesting. Stupid question..will you be able to play as a female though ? Why ?
Well, it is the determining factor in whether I buy the game or not.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
kohla said:
Looks interesting. Stupid question..will you be able to play as a female though ? Why ?
Well, it is the determining factor in whether I buy the game or not.

Well, the main character does have long hair, but no. You play as the Witcher, the main character from novels, I think.

Lukas CDPr

Novice
Hi,

It's Lukas from CD Projekt, developer of "The Witcher".

First of all thank you for your interest in the game (even if there are no sumons in "The Witcher":).

I would like to correct some info. For sure, "The Witcher" is not a console-type RPG. We're inspired by classic PC RPG's like Fallout or BG rather than in FF series (which is very good in its own genre). All of us in CD Projekt are fans of these games and we want to create something that will be remebered by PC RPG fans. We will do this or we will die trying:)

Main character of the game is Geralt, the member of brotherhood of the Witchers. It is hero created by Andrzej Sapkowski, polish fantasy writer. So, you can't play as a female for example. Our main goal was to create the story behind this particular person. Not some unknown wizard or warrior but Geralt himself. We belive it will help gamer to focus on deep storyline.

As for the "action RPG"... Witcher is not action RPG in the traditional meaning. For sure we are not working on another Diablo or Dungeon Siege. I may assure you bout that. We want action here but we want RPG above all else.

Ok, if there are any other questions about the game I'm here from time to time and I will try to answer them.

And as Vault Dweller mentioned, you will soon find on RPG Codex interview about "The Witcher":)

denizsi

Arcane
I don't believe The Witcher will feature anything new or anything even spectacular. Just another shiny game.

In interviews he keeps saying how they will redefine the genre, bring a totally new approach etc. but doesn't go into detail to explain anything at all as far as the genre is concerned. All he emphasizes is the combat.

I don't understand why won't anyone admit to making an action game instead of calling it the next level of CRPGs. Will more people buy it if it's sold under the RPG tag?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
denizsi said:
I don't understand why won't anyone admit to making an action game instead of calling it the next level of CRPGs. Will more people buy it if it's sold under the RPG tag?

Yes. *points at oblivion*

denizsi

Arcane
denizsi Thewitcherr have dialogue trees and some choices to do by them.

Yes I've noted that, but if any developer will say that the most important aspect of their RPG under development is combat or exactly this - allow me to quote from the interview - :

"One of the most important elements of the gameplay, which we strongly emphasise, is the rich combat styles. It is one of the most important elements of our game, and something which distinguishes it from competing games on the market, which only offer the use of two or three blows at the most."

rather than emphasizing the dialogue and choices, and still claim redefining RPG, then I'll think that it's obvious where that game is going.

Yes. *points at oblivion*

Is it just because the game is tagged as a RPG? If it wasn't for the speedtree, I don't think anyone would ever give a fuck about this game. Especially not the stupid wave of fanfucks at ESF.

Kraszu

Prophet
http://www.thewitcher.com/witcher.asp

Main Features
Dynamic and visually spectacular action

* Real time combat with motion captured animations performed by a master of medieval sword combat.
* Ragdoll and rigid body physics, powered by Criterion’s Karma Engine to simulate interaction with opponents as well as elements of surrounding.

Deep and intriguing storyline

* Interesting story full of twists and turns in a complex and coherent setting.
* Most quests can be accomplished in several ways.
* Three different endings that depend on player's actions and choices throughout the whole adventure.

Original character concept and fantasy world

* The main character is a professional swordmaster and monster slayer.
* Game world which is more „adult” and less „fairy-tale” than typical fantasy.
* The world which is not black and white and is inhabited by believable characters.

Easy to use

* Thanks to transparent and intuitive controls, players are able to enjoy the game right after beginning without a long learning curve. During the game depth of the system will be gradually discovered.
* All actions can be done using the mouse only, however all possible shortcuts are fully configurable.

So one that they mention is combat and the other is dialogues, story, non linerality. We don't cnow how good they will be but it is not true that they only focuse on combat according to whot they say.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
denizsi said:
Is it just because the game is tagged as a RPG? If it wasn't for the speedtree, I don't think anyone would ever give a fuck about this game. Especially not the stupid wave of fanfucks at ESF.

The success of a game like Oblivion relies in many different elements, such as the first person view, or the open ended sand box structure of the game. Among all this, calling the game RPG it's a way to infuse the hype machine with various buzz sounding ideas, such as saying the game will feature an "Interesting story full of twists and turns in a complex and coherent setting". You can't have that on your regular FPS or GTA game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom