Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher

Hit or shit?

• Hit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vamp

Educated
Why the hell was he asking questions that have already been answered? Useless interview IMO...

Anaglyph

Novice
Fez said:
At least the developer is emphasising that it won't be button-mashing combat.

Yeah, that's something; though, of course, he had to get in a little "presented in a completely new, modern and fresh form". :roll:

Jinxed

Liturgist
Just posted this as news, didn't notice this thread... I figured the front page needed some news about something other than fallout, something that at least looks positive.

sheek

Arbiter
Still looks like shit.

Face it guys. There's way more combat in it than NWN1 (which had a fully fledged skill system, dialog-heavy RPing) or I'm guessing NWN2. It's got more button-mashing real-time combat than the NWNs (since you'll be dependent on learning all the uber-combos to get through). It's a twitch-game. It will be an action game 'with RPG elements' as they say.

Why 90% of you are saying it's a hit yet the Codex has yet to review NWN2 (after six months?) beats me...

I have higher hopes for Fallout 3. At least there's a developer who've at least tried to make RPGs, however bad they've turned out to be. Four attributes (3 of them physical), and 12 all-combat 'skills'... yeah, that's role-playing!

Texas Red

Whiner
MasPingon said:
New The Witcher official website(s) was opened today.

The Witcher site

There is new forum too, if someone is interested

I gave a vow of not getting in to the hype but I have failed.

BTW, the main hero, whatever he is called, is so handsome that even Im slightly attracted to him.

EDIT: Sheek opened my eyes. Although isnt everything these days an ARPG in order to attract the mentally challenged?

sheek

Arbiter
More proof that the Twitcher is going to turn this site into the FagCodex.

The_Pope

Scholar
I don't really care about the nature of combat in an RPG. What I care about is whether or not the game has anything else.

Deleted member 7219

I'm buying it purely for the story. Best story I've seen in any CRPG so far.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Don't get me wrong, this looks like it will have flaws, and combat looks a little too Diablo-esque, but the game apart from that looks like Planescape: Torment meets Gothic. In other words, a great RPG, even if it isn't the best ever. I'll still wait for a demo though. This might still turn out to be overhyped, like Gothic 3 or Oblivion.

Globbi

Augur
Would be nice if the codex got an interview and ask about dialogues and those choices and consequences.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
sheek said:
Still looks like shit.

Face it guys. There's way more combat in it than NWN1 (which had a fully fledged skill system, dialog-heavy RPing) or I'm guessing NWN2. It's got more button-mashing real-time combat than the NWNs (since you'll be dependent on learning all the uber-combos to get through). It's a twitch-game. It will be an action game 'with RPG elements' as they say.

I have higher hopes for Fallout 3. At least there's a developer who've at least tried to make RPGs, however bad they've turned out to be. Four attributes (3 of them physical), and 12 all-combat 'skills'... yeah, that's role-playing!

I think people are expecting a good Gothic style game. Gothic 2 didn't even have any attributes at all (I think ?) and not more than 11 skills. I dont think thats much different in
Gothic 3.
Yet it was a decent action RPG. I'll take a good action RPG over a 'real' RPG abomination like Oblivion everyday.

Why 90% of you are saying it's a hit yet the Codex has yet to review NWN2 (after six months?) beats me...

I dont understand what you're trying to say with it. What has one thing to do with the other? Anyways, I think VD said he would review NWN 2 together with the coming add-on. Besides, I think anyone who was interested had enough time to make up his own mind.

Dagon

Scholar
sheek said:
More proof that the Twitcher is going to turn this site into the FagCodex.

More proof that you deserve that "dumbfuck!!" tag, dude.

I will judge the game after it's release, but I have to say that so far i'm quite impressed.
Also I am the fan of The Witcher Saga by Andrzej Sapkowski so it would be quite strange for me to not getting this game, and if they will capture only 10% of books quality ,it will be one of the deepest stories in Roleplaying.
And I hope that this time Yennefer will be much prettier than the one played by the actress from the worst polish fantasy movie ever.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Dagon said:
I will judge the game after it's release, but I have to say that so far i'm quite impressed.
So you're going to buy it anyway, amirite?

Dagon said:
Also I am the fan of The Witcher Saga by Andrzej Sapkowski so it would be quite strange for me to not getting this game.
People with this attitude usually buy all crap with the same trademark.

Dagon said:
and if they will capture only 10% of books quality ,it will be one of the deepest stories in Roleplaying.
Fanboyism.

caliban

Scholar
Everything about the game looks OK so far. The twitch oriented combat is the only drawback, but I think I can live with that. The books are very good indeed, and the setting is quite different from the usual fantasy drivel (i.e. no invading demons, no evil archmages who threaten the world, no orcs, no evil empires, no epic heroes who embark on a quest to find the Holy Dildo of Karadush, et caetera). As long as the writers manage to capture the setting the game will be at least worth checking out, if not necessarily *good*.

I do hope it will be good though. ;)

sheek

Arbiter
Funny that all the biggest fans are Poles isn't it? It doesn't matter how good the story is, unless what you're looking for is an action-adventure game, the story doesn't mean shit. Morrowind had a decent, interesting, detailed game world, it was one of the worst RPGs (I don't count Diablo clones as RPGs) of the 2000s.

Dagon

Scholar
Ander Vinz said:
]So you're going to buy it anyway, amirite

No you don't, I will buy it only if it will become a decent Roleplaying game.
The art direction along with the dialog movies are the things that impress me.
The graphics aren't so sweet as Oblivion or other crap games, they are made very tasteful, it's quite clear that people which are responsible for them are educated in art.

Interesting, I don't know from where you got the information, about me doing this? It's because of the fact that I like these books, and i'm quite interested in seeing some of their attitudes translated into game ?

Fanboyism.
Once again can't see any real arguments here.
I am the fanboy because I find these books to be great?
I would name it Personal Opinion, not Fanboyism.

People, please if you want to share your opinion, think about it earlier.
And give a proper arguments, unless you are 12 years old or just stupid.

EDIT:
sheek said:
Funny that all the biggest fans are Poles isn't it?

Now I should start to cry like a baby, just like you did on NMA some time ago.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Shut up. You attacked sheek and called his dumfuck title justified (although it is justified) because he sees the games gameplay negative.
Then you continued about the story and how awesome it will be, which may be right and Im actually looking forward for this aswell, but didnt adress any of the points made about gameplay.

So basicly your point was DUMBFUCK! (although it would have been a valid point in another context) and OH BUT TEH STORY.

Don't teach others about how to make arguments.

Dagon

Scholar
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Shut up. You attacked sheek and called his dumfuck title justified (although it is justified) because he sees the games gameplay negative.
Then you continued about the story and how awesome it will be, which may be right and Im actually looking forward for this aswell, but didnt adress any of the points made about gameplay.

So basicly your point was DUMBFUCK! (although it would have been a valid point in another context) and OH BUT TEH STORY.

Don't teach others about how to make arguments.

It was more about his FagCodex idea.
And i didn't told that the storywill be great but that the story in books is great.
and on Sheek i'm lurking this forum, and I really hate his posts.
Also i'm not good enlish speaker, i don't have too much occasions to use it, that's why there weren't too many arguments.

And I hate when some guy is trying to find things in my posts that don't exist he don't use any arguments.
That's the whole story dude.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Dagon said:
Ander Vinz said:
Interesting, I don't know from where you got the information, about me doing this?
Did I say something about you, sweety?

Dagon said:
Ander Vinz said:
Dagon said:
If they will capture only 10% of books quality ,it will be one of the deepest stories in Roleplaying.
Fanboyism.
Once again can't see any real arguments here.
I've read three books of Witcher series myself and it's not that great. It was just good. And if you take 1/10 of it's goodness what will you get? Worthless crap. Only fanboys claim good things to be like second coming of Christ.

MasPingon

Arcane
And what makes you think that your opinion is the one that matters? You think it's good, he thinks it's great, let it be and stfu. If you think that you are better by caliing this way everyone who is waiting for the game then you must be really stupid.

Kraszu

Prophet
sheek said:
Funny that all the biggest fans are Poles isn't it?

Not surprising since books are from Poland. I don't care if game is made by Poles or somebody else it sound promising to me and combat sound decent to me (whit timing required), much better then click & wait combat. Anyway over 90% voted hit and Poles are minority on codex definitely not 90% or close to that.

sheek said:
It doesn't matter how good the story is, unless what you're looking for is an action-adventure game, the story doesn't mean shit. Morrowind had a decent, interesting, detailed game world, it was one of the worst RPGs (I don't count Diablo clones as RPGs) of the 2000s.

I didn't like MW mostly becouse of linear story, no/few c&c and wiki dialogue, and boring travelling it looks like thewitcher has neither of those flaws and better combat.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Dagon said:
Also I am the fan of The Witcher Saga by Andrzej Sapkowski.
Dagon said:
Dagon said:
If they will capture only 10% of books quality ,it will be one of the deepest stories in Roleplaying.
Dagon said:
I didn't told that the storywill be great but that the story in books is great.
Dagon said:
People, please if you want to share your opinion, think about it earlier.
And give a proper arguments, unless you are 12 years old or just stupid.
Dagon said:
Also i'm not good enlish speaker, i don't have too much occasions to use it, that's why there weren't too many arguments.
That's the whole story, dude. Who do you say deserve dumbfuck tag?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom