Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The writing in this game is average

Duraframe300

Arcane
Its a difference of replacing an *I* with an *Y*

Hardly a big offender or worth caring about.

The whole notion of this game having something explicitly called a 'vampire' is already shabby, but it would be ok if just that was present simply as the inclusion of a recognised concept, but having it even further "welshenised" like this is downright absurd. It's like a localised version of a borrowing of a borrowing from language archetypes that aren't even supposed to exist in this game. The same degree of stupidity can be found in Gul.

The main problem is that they chosed to copy an already overused universe, making them look like cheap whores.Instead of going with an original world(new creatures,new interesting races) ,they went with the same shit that everbody has used since 1980.Instead of creating original concepts ,they went with the same crap that every game used in the past 20 years.

I mean look at this crap
Fampyrs
Guls
The blue orcs
Bettles
Trolls
Spiders

Come on fellas,i know you can do better than this...

TBH that was kind of the goal / predictable

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

I know that ,but does it make it better? Hell no,for me PoE is the epitome of generic brands.I mean you had the chance to build an original concept and you came here with blue fucking orcs?Give me a fucking break ,they totally fucked their chance to have an unique ip for a few years.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
flL4xl.jpg

pillars of communism

and you don't even get a single dialogue option to actually disagree with this guy

holy fuck was this dialogue/quest completely retarded

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Enjoying how people itt are coming to terms with Avellone's middle-aged ennui giving him a low attention span. Chris "rubberstamp" Avellone is real and here.

I mean you had the chance to build an original concept

No they didn't. They pitched trad-fant and people paid them a lot of money for trad-fant.

Athelas

Arcane

I know that ,but does it make it better? Hell no,for me PoE is the epitome of generic brands.I mean you had the chance to build an original concept and you came here with blue fucking orcs?
They're not orcs. Have some respect for James Cameron's work.

hiver

and you don't even get a single dialogue option to actually disagree with this guy

holy fuck was this dialogue/quest completely retarded

You do get dialogue options to disagree and fail in different ways there. And you can even get along with their plan. I didnt try it but the option was there, wtf are you talking about?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
All the dialogue options in response to the bullshit thinly-veiled communism of this conversation are roughly like this:

1. How horrible!
2. I will kill the lord for this myself! (passionate)
3. This will not stand! (aggressive)
4. Gee, that's kinda bad! (clever)

and only a few clicks later do you get 'plz dont hurt anyone ;_; (benevolent)', which is the only way of verbally opposing the cultist head honcho, without actually explicitly disagreeing with him either, because that is apparently absolutely haram. Two more options were locked out for me under resolve and something else, but I sincerely doubt they were any less ridiculous.

hiver

mhmm.. so, in fact, there are all the options i mentioned and more. gotcha.

-edit-

but what i am finding more and more, that is actually not that great is examples like this:

rLcgNpT.jpg

- this is the first line of dialogues that pops up first time you get there.
its all, - ok whats the problem here?
-ill do it,
- ill do it for mony,
i dont care, bye.

like youre a policeman or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninjerk

Arcane
All the dialogue options in response to the bullshit thinly-veiled communism of this conversation are roughly like this:

1. How horrible!

and only a few clicks later do you get 'plz dont hurt anyone ;_; (benevolent)', which is the only way of verbally opposing the cultist head honcho, without actually explicitly disagreeing with him either, because that is apparently absolutely haram. Two more options were locked out for me under resolve and something else, but I sincerely doubt they were any less ridiculous.
That particular dialogue struck me as odd, as well. I liked the overall structure of the quest, but there's clearly someone pushing their views here.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just make it to act 4 and I'm kind of sad now. I expect some resolves with quests and shit... nothing. Reputation reactions - nothing. Just some lines of dialogue. I heard something about that your companions may run away from party if you fuck something up. Don't see anything like that. At least yet.

Don't get me wrong, I like this game, but... it isn't that thing that some people on Kickstarter pay for. If Torment will have same 'decisions' and 'reputation changes' they may left the project. Fuck this shit.

Starwars

Arcane

1. How horrible!

GOD does that make me miss the wonderful days of Baldur's Gate's extensive dialogue options and complex quests.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
its ok if this game has shit content because another game 17 years ago also did!

checkmate, grognards :balance:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
But... the point was to get a game that was exactly like another game from 17 years ago so your remark is pretty dumb...

Kel

Novice
Edgy
Eric Fenstermaker was in charge of narrative and act structure. He is the weak link at Obsidian. We can all agree on this.

He became the it-boy after writing a couple of good things at New Vegas, and it went to his Harvard head, and they gave him too much initiative and Pillars' inept pacing is the result.

Don't blame anyone else for the monolithic shit writing and the insane act structure that makes you feel dat disappointment at the pit of your stomach by Act III.

Kel

Novice
Edgy
Careful guys! You might get cut reading the new shitposters post above!

Yeah just stamp it out as "edgy". There is nothing agreeable with what I said, and actually the narrative design is flawless.

Do you honestly believe that yourself?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Eric Fenstermaker was in charge of narrative and act structure. He is the weak link at Obsidian. We can all agree on this.

He became the it-boy after writing a couple of good things at New Vegas, and it went to his Harvard head, and they gave him too much initiative and Pillars' inept pacing is the result.

Don't blame anyone else for the monolithic shit writing and the insane act structure that makes you feel dat disappointment at the pit of your stomach by Act III.
'sup drog

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, there's a large patch of ground to cover between monolithic shit and flawless.

Act transition really is fucked up though.

Kel

Novice
Edgy
Well, there's a large patch of ground to cover between monolithic shit and flawless.

I'm just being honest, I loved Eric's stuff in New Vegas, but it worked because he wasn't given a carte blanche of authority on the entire narrative.

MCA was in his place at Torment: a junior designer given uninhibited authority, and he succeeded. Eric didn't. Sorry if that truth butthurts his fanbois.

1. How horrible!

That particular dialogue struck me as odd, as well. I liked the overall structure of the quest, but there's clearly someone pushing their views here.
I don't think it's pushing their views, they are trying to introduce skaen.

If you read a couple notes around the dungeon they establish Skaen as a subversive fuck the power dude, a bit like the ratmen of warhammer (name likely influenced). Only Skaen will always side with the weak, and turn on his own if they get too strong... He's not noble tho, he's all about the maximum revenge and cruelty.

It's a cool concept, and the writing on those notes are good. It's just let down by, uhm, the dialogues, the bloated dungeon, the quest design, the quest ending, and the general lack of sense of the people you talk to.

BUT THE CONCEPT ITSELF IS COOL! So that.

Duraframe300

Arcane

I'm just being honest, I loved Eric's stuff in New Vegas, but it worked because he wasn't given a carte blanche of authority on the entire narrative.

MCA was in his place at Torment: a junior designer given uninhibited authority, and he succeeded. Eric didn't. Sorry if that truth butthurts his fanbois.

Counterpoint

Descent to Undermountain

:troll:

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Guys, remember that episode of South Park where the kids are just trying to get back their xbox and various pompous assholes try to involve them in some power struggle between military, scientists and aliens? I am getting flashbacks to that in Raedric's keep:

0_164f00_615877a1_XXXL.bmp

I only exchanged a few passing words with this Kolsc, what the fuck are you even talking about?! He has kept his motivations from me for a reason? All i did was say "hi" to some random asshole on the road, and now i am his most powerfull ally somehow? Wut?
:rage:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
the_gardens.jpg

:lol: yeh. I get that feeling too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom