Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline There are no more good RPGs anymore

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you say a piece of shit is a steak does that change the flavor?
I was going to make a civilized reply until you compare b-movies to shit. I think you're retarded and you should feel bad about yourself and consider what have you done wrong in your life that leads to you saying outrageous stuff like that.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
This thread is when Makabb needs stronger drugs than Skyrim. He needs Skyrim 2: Blacked, and he needs it now.

Tiospo

Learned
Recently felt the desire to play a traditional turn based RPG, you know where you must control each individual character and make each decision manually as opposed to characters fighting on their own. Is it just me, or is this very sad. Because the only way to allow users to control all characters at once is through turn based combat, and its all but vanished. Who wants to play a game where half the characters just play by themselves. Takes out all the strategy when character fight and heal automatically.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
you know where you must control each individual character and make each decision manually as opposed to characters fighting on their own. Is it just me or is this very sad

This is what 2018+ posters will believe in, what sad times.

Because the only way to allow users to control all characters at once is through turn based combat, and its all but vanished

Ever heard of RTWP?

krisman87

Literate
A senseless thread. Everyone has their own criteria of judgement.
You are not struggling with the lack of good rpg's on the market, because there are many of them.
You are struggling with nostalgic regret, caused by memory and feelings when you were playing first RPG as a child.

You are just too old for modern rpg's.

bataille

Arcane
Old news, gramps. RPGs have long since evolved into RPG Games. For example, Bard's Tail 4. If you like Skyrim™, you should try that game! Only $34.99! I've heard the kids in the old days were PSYCHED to see this Bard guy in action!

Or that Watcher III game! The guys at the gym just love it! They play it on their Home Game Consoles all the time when they aren't working out! Radical, my dude. And now the girls in the hair parlor can't stop jabbering about that new one, Cyborg Punk or something. 100% cool.

Everything I just said is false; you're just experiencing acute dementia and can't get a grip on the present OR the past. Sorry! :shittydog:

Citizen

Legend of Eisenwald, AoD, KoTC, Underrail.

Also lol @ KOTOR2 as an example of a good game.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Old news, gramps. RPGs have long since evolved into RPG Games. For example, Bard's Tail 4. If you like Skyrim™, you should try that game! Only $34.99! I've heard the kids in the old days were PSYCHED to see this Bard guy in action!

Or that Watcher III game! The guys at the gym just love it! They play it on their Home Game Consoles all the time when they aren't working out! Radical, my dude. And now the girls in the hair parlor can't stop jabbering about that new one, Cyborg Punk or something. 100% cool.

Everything I just said is false; you're just experiencing acute dementia and can't get a grip on the present OR the past. Sorry! :shittydog:

IN THE NAME OF LENIN, YOU ENJOYED THAT

Serus

Arcane
Patron
And I mean real good, like we used to get in 90's and 00's that would combine art-storytelling-mechanics-music.
is it that there are no good games anymore, or are you 32+?
"32"? In a thread no long ago it was "30". Where do you get those silly and arbitrary numbers?
Answering my own question - from your behind obviously.

you know where you must control each individual character and make each decision manually as opposed to characters fighting on their own. Is it just me or is this very sad

This is what 2018+ posters will believe in, what sad times.

Because the only way to allow users to control all characters at once is through turn based combat, and its all but vanished

Ever heard of RTWP?
We heard of them, we even played a few. They're bad, or more precisely their combat is bad. Almost universally.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
And I mean real good, like we used to get in 90's and 00's that would combine art-storytelling-mechanics-music.
Today a game always lacks in one of those aspects due to it being indie (1 guy can't create all of that) or being dumbed down( derp dung age hurr durr).
The last good RPG I played was in the 00's and it was KOTOR 2.
RPGs died around the time when first Mass Effect was created.

Boy! Have I got the game for you! It's called "No Man's Sky". Please buy, download and play it and share your impressions! I'm sure you think it's the Bee's Knees!

Zep--

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Makabb 4 years on the Codex and you learned nothing ...

Didn't you know you were going to be stoned to death after stating everything is shit and then giving an example of your perfect "RPG" ? (and a controversial one, at that ...)

But do not weep nor fall in despair and Behold !

Because S.... has answered you prayers !

A " RPG" !

Turn-based !

With hairy companions !

And challenging puzzles ...

It's labeled RPG ... i was browsing and ... i couldn't resist to share :P

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Kotor 2 has terrible mechanics and combat. Stop using those drugs man...

I honestly don't know how you can see this obvious truth so clearly, but defend the exact same combat model in the IE games. Kotor actually had more options too. Please explain the differences that made one good and the other clearly bad.

Black Angel

Arcane
Maybe there are no more good RPGs anymore, but I'm sure you can find p.gud RPG games released these days that cater to your liking

Theldaran

Liturgist

I honestly don't know how you can see this obvious truth so clearly, but defend the exact same combat model in the IE games. Kotor actually had more options too. Please explain the differences that made one good and the other clearly bad.

For starters, KOTOR1 is like 5 years after BG1. I don't think that the combat systems are really that close. In BG you have a party of up to 6, and the lethality is much higher, everyone who has played it knows it. I'll always remember how you can clear the boring, repetitive final stages of KOTOR2 spamming Force Wave. You can't do that in BG or IWD, you have to think a bit.

In KOTOR2, too, you can practically turn your whole team into Jedi, which helps them. In BG or IWD, a rogue was always a puny rogue and had its specialized uses but wasn't an all-capable combat machine.

I think that your whole argument is built upon "hey, KOTOR uses something like the d20 system, it must be the same as AD&D2!". No it's not. Even IWD2 is not the same as the rest of the IE games.

ArchAngel

Arcane

For starters, KOTOR1 is like 5 years after BG1. I don't think that the combat systems are really that close. In BG you have a party of up to 6, and the lethality is much higher, everyone who has played it knows it. I'll always remember how you can clear the boring, repetitive final stages of KOTOR2 spamming Force Wave. You can't do that in BG or IWD, you have to think a bit.

In KOTOR2, too, you can practically turn your whole team into Jedi, which helps them. In BG or IWD, a rogue was always a puny rogue and had its specialized uses but wasn't an all-capable combat machine.

I think that your whole argument is built upon "hey, KOTOR uses something like the d20 system, it must be the same as AD&D2!". No it's not. Even IWD2 is not the same as the rest of the IE games.
Don't forget you are talking to a master retard that claims that he can do battles in BG2 with tactics mod just by letting everyone auto attack and can prove it but he does not want to link the proof.

It is pointless, it is like arguing with a hobo drunk on the street that is screaming that world is ending.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I guess that the rough equivalent to Force Wave is fireball spam, probably with a wand, and only in BG1. But, how do you get a wand of fireballs early in the game? As the game advances you have plenty of tools to win battles. Probably the harsher part is getting there.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Please, don't get the BG whores started, let them spam their invulnerability spells and OS dragons while saying everything else is shit, we don't want them to play anything else, they would just be a nuisance. :buildawall:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Please, don't get the BG whores started, let them spam their invulnerability spells and OS dragons while saying everything else is shit, we don't want them to play anything else, they would just be a nuisance. :buildawall:

What do you mean? I've religiously played every Bioware game up to Inquisition! I have played the very best of RPGs!

That's some real quick development of space ships.

Maybe the Chamachies were involved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom