Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Theseus: Journey to Athens - C&C RPG made in GMS 2

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wish there was some kind of catchy word like 'historically-accurate' that I could use to describe this game. Kudos for being faithful to the source material and not adding a bunch of stupid stuff like most greek mythology games do.

p.s. I'm still yet to buy the game please put on a sale
ok, how much of a discount should I offer
At least 50% please good sir
:takemymoney:

I'll go further than that; it is now 75% off. The sale will last a week.

I ended up trying it and ultimately didn't like it. Still, I admire your efforts to bring classical antiquity to CRPGs! So for that alone I am excited for Siege of Plataea.

Did you forget about that or just pirate it :lol:

interesting.

:updatedmytxt:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I ended up trying it and ultimately didn't like it. Still, I admire your efforts to bring classical antiquity to CRPGs! So for that alone I am excited for Siege of Plataea.

Did you forget about that or just pirate it :lol:
I bought it on Steam, tried it, and got a refund since I played it for less than 2 hours. I haven't actually completed a complete playthrough yet. I'm willing to give it another chance, Steam doesn't let you refund the same game twice (I think) so wish me luck :salute:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Agesilaus
If there is one thing to change it's the collecting supplies mission, once is alright but it happens way too much.
Also, it should be over once you've collected enough food, having to come back is just annoying or just allow to leave from any screen border.
Last but not least, all the grain bags are at the bottom of the screen so it's quite easy.

Besides that, it's good, subsequent campaigns are a bit repetitive though.
Still, it's fun, combat is surprisingly well designed for text combat with a good use of stamina.

Someone recommended a copycat game in this thread which is terrible in comparison.

Geckabor

Savant
Bought your game after the generous discount, thanks!

Finished it after 100 minutes and got a fairly nice ending, helping Theseus' father, although towards the end I really had to skip a lot of content since I'm guessing I didn't have the appropriate stats. I think I ended with something like: 3 dexterity, 3 constiution, 2 wisdom, 1 intelligence and the rest was at 0.

I honestly had a nice time playing it and will probably try a replay or two, trying to optimize my previous run and also try some other choices.
Anyway, looking forward to your future games. :salute:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Agesilaus
If there is one thing to change it's the collecting supplies mission, once is alright but it happens way too much.
Also, it should be over once you've collected enough food, having to come back is just annoying or just allow to leave from any screen border.
Last but not least, all the grain bags are at the bottom of the screen so it's quite easy.

Still, it's fun, combat is surprisingly well designed for text combat with a good use of stamina.

Someone recommended a copycat game in this thread which is terrible in comparison.
None of that sounds familiar, are you sure you played my game? Am I the victim of some obscure joke here?

Bought your game after the generous discount, thanks!

Finished it after 100 minutes and got a fairly nice ending, helping Theseus' father, although towards the end I really had to skip a lot of content since I'm guessing I didn't have the appropriate stats. I think I ended with something like: 3 dexterity, 3 constiution, 2 wisdom, 1 intelligence and the rest was at 0.

I honestly had a nice time playing it and will probably try a replay or two, trying to optimize my previous run and also try some other choices.
Anyway, looking forward to your future games. :salute:

Glad you enjoyed it; helping your father kill the pallantides is the orthodox ending. If you want something very different, try assisting Poseidon's priest in Troezen and then take the boat to Epidauros and follow that plotline. Or, go to Epidauros by foot and then offer sacrifice to Zeus Lykaios. These two paths draw on the primary source material and archaeological record, I didn't make them out of whole cloth, but they involve Theseus making different decisions than expected and lead to new endings.

I apparently screwed up the stat progression, you probably did everything right. I think one of the bandits, Prokroustes, is essentially undefeatable. But maybe I fixed it in the end, who knows. There is a guide on Steam that someone created:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2587836065

Which I thought was pretty cool. With a little practice you should be able to win most battles with Connidas, just do a good job kiting. On the other hand, if you let Connidas die you get a multi-shot bow which is fairly powerful, and you can always recruit other companions.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Agesilaus, if I ever make a greek mythology game, will you be my historical consultant? I am asking in public, so that you cannot refuse.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Agesilaus, if I ever make a greek mythology game, will you be my historical consultant? I am asking in public, so that you cannot refuse.

Sounds like a dream job, I would gladly take it. I will swear and throw things every time you diverge from the primary source material, though.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Agesilaus

None of that sounds familiar, are you sure you played my game? Am I the victim of some obscure joke here?
After rereading the message that sounds like A Legionary's Life.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My bad, wrong thread, I have to admit I've been thinking both games were one and the same and was surprised with the combat as I remembered playing a demo of your game with a way different combat.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
A mix-up with another good game isn't so bad after all

:kingcomrade:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom