Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished mission 6. They just keep delivering. Starts out as a simple "follow this mysterious figure" setup, but then...

The figure is a Keeper and you end up in a massive Keeper facility. It's labyrinthine in layout and I got lost many times. Massive place. You also get to meet a very special character from Thief 3... and attempting to knock her out is not a good idea.

When you leave the Keeper facility, you can still explore a small city section, complete with a manor and a bunch of smaller buildings, including my absolute favorite location I've been to yet in the campaign: a small tower with wide glass windows while it's raining outside. The sound of rain in that tower is amazing. Comfy to the max.

9/10 it just keeps being impressive.

ironmask

Arbiter
I just played mission 1 and 2, so I will say that this has already surpassed thief 2x: shadows of the metal age. Which was rather boring.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Finished mission 6. They just keep delivering. Starts out as a simple "follow this mysterious figure" setup, but then...

The figure is a Keeper and you end up in a massive Keeper facility. It's labyrinthine in layout and I got lost many times. Massive place. You also get to meet a very special character from Thief 3... and attempting to knock her out is not a good idea.

When you leave the Keeper facility, you can still explore a small city section, complete with a manor and a bunch of smaller buildings, including my absolute favorite location I've been to yet in the campaign: a small tower with wide glass windows while it's raining outside. The sound of rain in that tower is amazing. Comfy to the max.

9/10 it just keeps being impressive.
Agreed on the tower, I paused in there for a moment to take it all in.

Rookie

Novice
It depends. In terms of sheer scale TBP missions of course are bigger and more complicated than those of T2x (at least first five missions of TBP that I've already played) - especially enjoying more advanced NewDark modifications. I guess, only Grand Hotel (perhaps biggest T2x mission judging by my feelings - or at least longest) from T2x can be compared with average TBP mission. But I doubt it did TBP necessarily better in terms of gameplay and design - I mean, challenging situations, guard positions, architecture etc. I am adamant that it doesn't depend on scale. Even small mission could be more memorable and have more challenging gameplay than large mission. Bigger does not mean better. The story (even though it was 1) a bit silly and 2) not being that important in videogame) also was more touching and personal in T2x. It also features Mechanists that are a bit underused in FMs. Though I agree in the end it comes to personal opinions - like atmosphere, plot or scale or complexity of missions.

So far, I quite like TBP though the more I play it the more I feel like I played it already: 1) there's another skacky-style opening city mission; 2) than there was mix of Shadow Play and The Sword; 3) than Hammerite compound (reminded me Morrgan's hammerite missions and that Cathedral from Burrick mission); 4) Bonehoard++; 5) Lost among the Forsaken, part 2. Now I again playing 6) vertical city mission set during rainy weather.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
T2X is still a great achievement and the perfect campaign for newbies to the FM scene.

I would not recommend The Black Parade to a newbie.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
TBP doesn't recommend itself to a newbie. The readme strongly suggests people familiarize themselves with the Thief-trilogy before undertaking TBP.

Jazz_

Arcane
I finished the first 2 missions of TBP. They are great however they didn't really blow my mind (I see many celebrating them as the non plus ultra of Thief FMs and I definitely disagree there). I was a bit disappointed that in both levels you don't get rope arrows, it's one of the most enjoyable aspect of Thief gameplay for me and I find it a weird design decision to exclude it considering how vertical the maps are, without rope arrows it feels that that verticality is mostly ''visual prop'', of course you can still get around to some spots with jumping and whatnot but still feels like a bit of a let down exploration-wise.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm familiarizing myself with the Thief games by playing old FMs. I played about an hour of Shining Standards, but it was just too big, too symmetrical and too samey, and with no map.
It's not bad; I just don't have patience with these overly large Thief mansions, like they're the residences of a king or emperor instead if a lowly nobleman or merchant. I much prefer the compactness of Ramirez' residence.

Renault

Novice
@Jazz - Keep playing, there are rope arrows available in the loadout for every mission going forward.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Has anyone been able to open every locked door in the first mission? There's a few I couldn't find any keys for, and of course you don't have lockpicks. Also, there's at least one area that looks like I could rope arrow up to it, but I couldn't find any rope arrows either.
There is one locked door that is unlocked from the inside. Look up nearby and grab a box from around the corner.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I finished the first 2 missions of TBP. They are great however they didn't really blow my mind (I see many celebrating them as the non plus ultra of Thief FMs and I definitely disagree there). I was a bit disappointed that in both levels you don't get rope arrows, it's one of the most enjoyable aspect of Thief gameplay for me and I find it a weird design decision to exclude it considering how vertical the maps are, without rope arrows it feels that that verticality is mostly ''visual prop'', of course you can still get around to some spots with jumping and whatnot but still feels like a bit of a let down exploration-wise.
You don't get rope arrows in the first two missions of the original Thief: The Dark Project either. If you're unhappy now, just wait until you get to mission 3 and find you have rope arrows but still can't use them when you need to climb. lol

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I found a controller scheme that worked beautifully with Thief/Thief 2 a few years ago (I play from my couch), even had working analog movement, but it requires Xpadder. Can't be arsed with setting that up these days since I switched to DS4Windows. It's still one of the most compelling things I've ever played in gaming so maybe I should just force myself to use Xpadder just for this. I know how massive and sprawling some of these FM missions can be, even highly rated ones, which can burn out a taffer. If I come back I should probably start with some of the shorter, smaller ones.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Bros I need help in Mission 6.

I need the ring key to get access to the Restricted Library, and from the letter I fetched in the guest room, it's supposed to be in the First Elder's Office, just nearby, right? But I can't find the ring.... Where is it? Thanks.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Keep playing, taffer...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

I need the ring key to get access to the Restricted Library, and from the letter I fetched in the guest room, it's supposed to be in the First Elder's Office, just nearby, right? But I can't find the ring.... Where is it? Thanks.
IIRC it was somewhere on his desk, or in his bedroom.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Wirdschowerdn said:

In the Elder's office is a document lying on a table that's meant for Hume, that reveals the plot and sends Hume to visit the Restricted Library. The ring is on/by that document.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The Black Parade Mission 8: "The Jaws of Darkness" is their attempt at a horror-themed mission.

They use 'dark-as-crap'-Darkness.

This is gonna be Something Special.

EDIT: Taffin' 'ell, I was right! Beware the Pillars of Silence!

Last edited:

Max_b5

Augur
You don't get rope arrows but the TBP team gave us the pleasure of some fancy climbing gloves

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I just finished mission 8 of Black Parade with 1700/3100 loot. I felt like a thoroughly explored the level so is there a secret area I am missing?
Same here, right down to the loot count.

I'll get around to revisiting the place, but only after I've fully recovered.

Mission 9 is turning out to be the best one yet - that view.

destinae vomitus

Educated
A lot of loot seems to be in optional secret area(s), I missed close to 1k loot in both mission 5 & 6 despite thoroughly combing every place I could. Also missed out on the sword upgrade you can apparently find in mission 4.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I hadn't heard of that, but the minute you mentioned it I'm 95% certain what it's related to: There is a mural in there somewhere depicting lightning striking a hammer IIRC. That place gave me a vibe, but I didn't investigate it further.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I hadn't heard of that, but the minute you mentioned it I'm 95% certain what it's related to: There is a mural in there somewhere depicting lightning striking a hammer IIRC. That place gave me a vibe, but I didn't investigate it further.
Yes, it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom