Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Things that make you automatically reject a game?

What makes you dismiss an otherwise interesting game?

• Total voters

Antagonist

Liturgist
1. DRM which requires me to stay online even during the single-player part of the game. I can stomach normal DRM up to a point, but this really rubs me in the wrong way since I could be kicked out of my own game should I don't have Internet connection 24/7 (for instance in cases business trips, moving and not having access from day 1, etc.).
2. Titles for which I know/suspect that there will be several DLCs released shortly afterwards. I usually wait until an all-inclusive edition in this case.

Other than that there are really few things which would make me reject a game outright. There are certainly genres I'm less interested like sports games though, but if someone can make a good case for a specific title I'll certainly try it out.

Achilles

Arcane
DRM is a big turn-off obviously, but I also hate games with an "america, fuck yeah" plot. So basically I won't buy any game with a modern combat theme.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
1. An FPS with no RPG elements is a hard sell for me. I just don't care for the genre.
2. Non-pausible real time strategy.
3. I don't remember the last time I bought a fighting game (excluding sports-fighting like MMA or boxing)

That's about it. I don't hate anime or Japan to the point where I refuse to play any game that is in any way related to either. I usually like games with lots of stats and numbers, but I also like stuff like Arkham Asylum if it's really well done. I don't care about perspective too much, but a true bird's eye view can be a bit of a turn-off.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I don't buy games that are DLC whoring out the wazoo unless it is an appropriately priced bundle/GOTY edition.

I have been unsuccessful in trying to enjoy games with anime art-styles, or even Japanese styles in general.

DRM is not an outright dealbreaker, but if I'm on the fence I will typically not buy a game if I hear bad things about the DRM.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Delayed Long Coitious should be added to the list. But even infestation of DLC doesn't bother me as much as any form of internet DRM (stability of my ISP is like main story of Oblivion...). Lack of normal form of saving (read: "check points") would be also a good candidate to add.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Poll sucks OP is a faggot,
The lack of options is embarrassing.
Let see:
-Shitty controls.
-Grinding.
-Port from console, multi-platform.
-Juvenile as hell.
-Shitty 3D.
-Too linear.
-Short.

kaizoku

Arcane
fuck! I didn't notice you could cast multiple votes

what makes my boner go away in "every" genre:
- soulless shit: no story or dialogs
- first person view: a big turn off that has put me away from several good games... I'm trying to overcome this

in RPGs:
- real time combat: 90% of the times that means mash'da'buttonz AFAP
- shiny stuff: in today's games every time you do something it's always fucking amazing all full of particle animations and lights... wtf
- today's graphics: it's kind of ridiculous but I look at them and they all look the same so it makes me think the game will also be the same papamole as the other new-gen games. I wonder if this is some Pavlovian reaction or what.
- too much combat/grinding
- too loooooong

pocahaunted

Arcane
Well, I've quite a few pet peeves.

1) DRM and/or shitty ad-hoc bloatware (i.e. steam, origins, etc).
2) Shitty engines.
3) Poorly optimized games.
4) Bland and boring art/assets/setting.
5) Copy-pasta content or design philosophy.
6) If it's a post-Quake 3 FPS, I won't play it.

funkadelik

Arcane
1.Too much voice-acting, I fucking hate this stuff.
2. Nothing but killing without any thinking when it's not an online FPS
3. Overly cutesy Japanimation, because horrible Japanese Pop usually accompanies these types of games, making me cringe.
4. Console Port
5. Cutscenes every 5 minutes. I hate the "Vidya games should be like movies" trend and I hate all of the fanboys that are sucking it's dick.

I wanted to limit the poll to things you know about the game before you try, torrent or buy it.
Nothing, then. I don't really see the point of rejecting something based on a single facet of it. Over the shoulder camera makes me want to puke, but hey maybe the game has other redeeming elements that don't immediately show up on preview screens.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
* 1. Art style (for example Anime)

I remember when stuff like Akira and Fist of the North Star came to California and wasn't mainstream, I liked it. It reminded me at the time of stuff like my teenage years with Heavy Metal magazine and off-beat violent sci-fi. It was fun and shocking. But when you mix it up with Disney characters and kids, it doesn't have the same impact. I'm sure there are some good games under those layers but it's really a turn off now. To me it looks like you're marketing to children, not even teenagers. My Little Pony is what I see for stuff like that. And that's fine.

2. Turn based combat
My parents bought me the first D&D rule book as well as a stereo back in the seventies, so I'm okay with Stratego, Monopoply and RPG's.

3. Real Time combat
I got an Intellevision and we got stoned and played many, many hours of baseball on that thing. I'm okay with it.

4. First Person View only
Of course I had played Apogee games before, but Catacombs was something else. When Doom came out, the shit hit the fan, I'll love FPS forever.

5. Third Person View only

This is a difficult one, much of my life is a blur as I'm sure many of you here understand from personal experience but the two the stick out in my mind, although much later (I'm sure) than other 3rd person games is the first Tomb Raider and those dinosaurs. Then (with a wheel on a 486 no less) Interstate '76. I spent many hours on both of them.

6. Exsessive DRM (like constant internet connection for a SP game)

This is a good one. Back then I was working on of the earlier retail computer shops on the planet and we would pirate every game that came in, from Temple of Apshie to Bards Tale, Phygnosis games, Death Sword, everything, for both the Atari ST and Amiga. We'd unwrap the game, hack the disks then re-shrink wrap the box. For tons of stuff. PC's only existed as spreadsheet machines back then, they didn't compare. Amiga were slightly better from a technical viewpoint but Atari ST's were a bit cheaper and better bang for your buck. When Sundog came out we were absorbed, when Dungeon Master by FTL was released on the Atari ST, Tramiel must have made millions. We all bought the game and spent weeks comparing graph paper notes. There was no internet back then, just BBS's. Whatever, it was really the 'golden age' for me.

But back to pirating, I buy most of my stuff but almost always crack it all. I can't be bothered with the hassle to my system. That's just me, I'm mostly honest. Like others, I won't tolerate always on for a single player game. Fuck it, don't want to talk about it.

7. Game is made by BioWare

This is actually easy and embarrasing. One of my first posts here was asking about RTwP. I was playing BG2 and had some questions and I didn't understand the terminology everyone was using. Someone explained to me what it meant. Anyways, I really liked BG2 for many reasons mostly because my DM's allways killed us off at around level 8, maybe nine. So, even though I'd played PnP D&D for many years I'd never played a high level character. It was chaotic and fun. I still will say that I liked BG2 and think it was super fun. (I always play as a wizard).

The problem is, is that I eventually got KoTR and I saw the opening for the first Starwars movie in Dallas in '77 or whenever it was. But being an FPS person, I was suddenly in some weird 3rd person world, where the controls didn't work, the inventory was fucked yet I had a good time for most of the ride. I'll admit I enjoyed it enough, I played the 'light' side. It was the last Bio game that I ever played. And I never finished it, I made it right up to the last planet am probably soon to go get all those stargate pieces together and I couldn't drag myself through it. I was so bored and overpowered and couldn't stand to look into another chest for loot let alone my inventory.

Then I tried NWN. Twice. The OC sucked I never made it out of the four quadrant city on either run. I was just bored. The strange thing is that I ended up playing all of their 'DLC'. I think they called them Premium Packs or maybe even the old school term, 'expansion packs'. I liked them all, Hords of the Under Dark, Dagger something and mostly, a shit tonne of user made stuff. Then I got into making my own but that didn't pan out well, I'm a techie, not a designer.

Since then, as I've explained before, my dad got an uber computer (he's a retired IT guy in his sixties), built a machine that matches what most of you have today and bought a whole bunch of shit including Metro, Batman, and ME1 (or was it two?). So I'm visiting him and he's showing off his super uber machine (and it is 120hz 3d monitors, dual card Nvidias, quad core, the works) and is asking me how to get into this door. I'm like, is this Mass Effect? Anyways, he has like six computers in there and my mom has one too, and she's playing bejeweled (that's her speed if she's not playing Plants on the iPad) and looks over and says: 'That's Frogger in a circle". So I got my dad through the mini-game to get him through the door and that was the end of that. Who the fuck does that? Frogger to open a door in an RPG? He's a big sci-fi nut but whatever. Two lost sales.

* 8. Game is made by Bethesda

My first experience with them, being a techie support guy was getting this thing (Daggerfall) to run on DOS. I was really good at it at the time but my friends weren't. To be honest I spent way more time on a few of my DnD buddies' computers trying to get it to work than I ever played it. I remember getting a lot of phone calls and trying different drivers and getting memory to run as tight as possible, that stuff. It was a pain.

I did play it but I remember being disappointed, getting my ass kicked in a dungeon and thinking it certainly wasn't dungeon master.

My only two other experiences with Bethseda are almost identical to each other (not DOS). Both games had been released for almost two years, I researched all the mods, I installed the mods (hoping to make a good game play experience) and got bored. For example, after fifteen hours of thinking, this will probably be shit, I bought Oblivioun, installed OOO and some interface thing, played for about ten hours and got bored. I didn't hate it, I just couldn't keep going. It was boring. Maybe it's my FPS background, maybe my RPG background but it was dull. I can still see the goblin over the hill, I was supposed to go to the witches house and I just... didn't... care.

But I paid for Oblvion two years after the fact, knew better and did it anyways. Nothing can help it.

I ignored F3 but did 'demo' New Vegas for maybe 20 hours, it was good, I didn't have any bugs and usually don't yet they said they were coming out with DLC and fixing broken quests. I didn't know about any broken quests but how could I? Anyways, it sounded like a cash grap and sure enough they kept pumping out the rest of the game. I heard their going to produce the finished version later this year? That's the thing, wait a year these days, maybe you'lll get at complete product. I'm in no rush.

9. Others (please state)

THE MODERN TREND OF INTERFACES

It's bad. I'm thinking of Fable, I finally made it through a few hours of that. It was the size of four postage stamps glued together. With a little scroll bar (did it work?). I didn't know that I'd died fifteen times and was automatically ressurecting myself because I didn't realize how much loot I had. But that's just a stupid shit game.

How about, Gothic 2? Yeah, keyboard only, but at least you knew what was going on, could navigate and it actually worked with an unlimited inventory. How about Pip Boy in New Vegas? What's up with that? Yes, I got good at it, but why the fuck am I scrolling through all of that tiny shit and tabbing between everything.

Dungeon Master did it better a few decades ago. In the late ninties they were writing books on GUI design. Before Windows or Xbox existed there were courses on how to make intuitive interfaces. Why does this go out the door in 2011?

Bad interface is wrong. Whatever your application is, game, spreadsheet, wall street monitoring software, hacking programs, data recovery programs, or even, entertainment. Nevermind.

Anyways, those are my votes and why I voted that way.

Eh, the only thing that will completely make it so I don't give a game a chance is if it is super buggy and unplayable. That being said, if I found out later that it's patched and good, I'll give it a go.

yellowcake

Arcane
Well I hate excessive DRM but I am willing to cope with it if I really want to play the game badly. I noticed however that I stopped considering modern popamole console FPSes altogether because I absolutely detest popamole corridor shooters although being kinda FPS whore in my days. I love challenging gunplay doom style and I would like to play a decent shooter nowadays as I often lack time for stuff that require more immersion but I simply stopped trying after Chronicles of Riddick. I liked many things about this game and gave it a try for couple of days but the gunplay was so laughable that i surrendered. No FPS whoring for me anymore I guess :sadface:

Redlands

Arcane
I generally avoid games made by most major companies. It pisses me off, too, as they've made me sound like some fucking hipster when I don't want to be.

DaveO

Erudite
I avoid any games with monthly fees. I do realize that some of those have switched to a free to play system, but my free time is very limited. Any intrusive system like Steam or the new Origin service is eliminated immediately.

LordDenton

Augur
Lack of a "save anywhere" functionality. No save anywhere = no play for me. I don't play games to "beat them", like mouthbreathing console gamers do. I play games to immerse myself into the game world, and having to kill someone a second time (just because I failed to kill someone else 10 minutes after the first time) destroys that immersion.

Forced checkpoint save systems are a good indicator that the game will be a repetitive casual piece of crap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom