Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Things that make you automatically reject a game?

What makes you dismiss an otherwise interesting game?

• Total voters

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Personally I can't stand anime, and it has to be a mighty fine game indeed before I can stand behind-the-ass camera.
And draconian DRM is the reason I haven't bought a new game the past 5 years and I'm now a retro gamer.

SoupNazi

Poll lacks:

- Terrible engine (for example Gamebryo)
- Terrible camera (that sorta falls under engine though)

racofer

Thread Incliner
  1. Anime;
  2. Others:
  • Shitty camera (NWN2);
  • Shitty UI (NWN2, Skyrimjob, Failout3/NV, Oblolivion);
  • Shitty performance for shitty graphics (Gamebryo stuff, NWN2);
  • Shitty controls (NWN2, Assassin's Creed games);
There are many more examples that fit on those categories, but those I listed are the one that I recall at this moment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On this forum, "Game does not have stats and numbers" has to be a choice

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Assuming this is before I've played it (so discounting firsthand experience with controls or UI etc), and assuming it looks somewhat interesting (as stated in poll question), the only thing I could really think of would be that the game is produced by a legendary and notable hack. Something like the work of Molyneux, that would give me reason to doubt the instincts that made me think it interesting in the first place.

SoupNazi

I didn't buy Fallout 3 because I knew ahead of time it had Gamebryo. Same with Skyrim.

spekkio

Arcane
9. Too much additional software (not necessarily DRM) infesting my comp during the install: Steam, GFW, Net Framework, etc. In DOS era shit was optional at least. Unistalled DOW2 due to this. No big loss I guess.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Other #1: Game is obviously a watered-down clone of a game that has been previously released, made to conform only to marketing cookie-cutter standards. (See: Just about any game made with the Unreal 3 engine.)

Other #2: Game is "too Japanese".

Fens

Ford of the Llies
9. Too much additional software (not necessarily DRM) infesting my comp during the install: Steam, GFW, Net Framework, etc.
this... but any kind of DRM goes to the "con" side of my "pro & con" list

I didn't buy Fallout 3 because I knew ahead of time it had Gamebryo. Same with Skyrim.
i didn't buy fallout 3, because i bought the german version of oblivion and didn't want to be raped twice

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Poll lacks:

- Terrible engine (for example Gamebryo)
- Terrible camera (that sorta falls under engine though)

- not mouse driven UI
- fixed screen resolution (particularly love new games fixed to 800*600)
- cut scenes (a few at beginning & end of game are ok)
- excessive / repetitive combat
- references to lame >2000 pop culture
- playing a boring chick (adventure)
- MMO
- console
- facebook
- banal
- boring
- modern
- shit

Game is JRPG or heavily inspired by JRPG.
Game has no challenge.
Game has cheap challenge (cheating AI, controls gimmicks, pop 100 balloons, success depends on pure luck).
Game has no gameplay (cinematic bullshit like Half-Life 2).
Made by Russians with "Russian humor" TM
Generic fantasy, like Spellforce or DA:O
GAY ELF-ON-DWARF BUTTSEX

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
3. Real Time combat
4. First Person View only
5. Third Person View only

In principle yes, but this really depends on the game.
For example it pisses me off that games like The Witcher 2 are limited to third person (TW1 in FPP was much better in my opinion).
Or that 99.9% games have real time combat.

ChristofferC

Magister
I dunno, shitty controls can sometimes be a plus. I think the shitty controls in Silent Hill 2 added something to the game for example.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I dunno, shitty controls can sometimes be a plus. I think the shitty controls in Silent Hill 2 added something to the game for example.
Well bad controls are tolerable I should've stated "broken" controls. Where you can't make your character do what they're supposed to be able to do.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
It really comes down to laziness and stupidity. Lazy, stupid design decisions--whether that's writing in a story driven game, encounter design and combat system in a combat driven game, world design in an exploration game--are the only things that kill it for me. If devs fuck something that could have been interesting up, I'll deal or maybe stop playing after a bit but not dismiss the game. But shitty ideas, especially to pad, add 'challenge,' or just complete the game with as little effort as possible is grounds for dismissal of the game out of hand.

ChristofferC

Magister
It really comes down to laziness and stupidity. Lazy, stupid design decisions--whether that's writing in a story driven game, encounter design and combat system in a combat driven game, world design in an exploration game--are the only things that kill it for me. If devs fuck something that could have been interesting up, I'll deal or maybe stop playing after a bit but not dismiss the game. But shitty ideas, especially to pad, add 'challenge,' or just complete the game with as little effort as possible is grounds for dismissal of the game out of hand.
You must hate Dragon Age. :D

tred

Augur
I can't stand anime too...it's just...I don't know...maybe too much bizarre stuff on those kind of games (at least the ones I tried).

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Just overall mediocrity I think. I'm the kind of person who can suffer through a lot of retarded/broken crap if the game similarly excels at something else. To exemplify, I like Morrowind more than Skyrim, because the former's cool gameworld and atmosphere make up for all the broken mechanics; while Skyrim does a lot of things competently, but excels at nothing, and ultimately just devolves into total mediocrity once you get past the novelty. Or MotB - the graphics were shit on a technical level, performance was pretty bad, camera and interface were awful, and the combat overall revolves around mages spamming aoe - and I still had a blast with it because the story, c&c, setting and art design were good enough to make the flaws negligible.

In Codex terms I guess I simply can't stand BanalShitBoring games, at all.

Also, Bioware games, but that's an extension of the above, I think.

Renegen

Arcane
Besides the obvious, I automatically reject a game that could've been FPS but instead is 3rd person or worse has the un-centered 3rd person viewpoint of today in games like Mass Effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom