Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Titan Quest queries at GameSpot

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Titan Quest

There's <A href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/titanquest/preview_6129210.html">an interview</a> with <b>Brian Sullivan</b> about <A href="http://www.titanquest.com">Titan Quest</a> over at <A href="http://www.gamespot.com">GameSpot</a>. The questions include stuff about the story, the setting, various aspects of game play, and this about character creation:
<br>
<blockquote><b>GS: How flexible is the character creation system? Will you be able to choose different genders and appearances? What are the choices available to you in terms of "class," especially since you evolve your class throughout the game?
<br>
<br>
Brian Sullivan:</b> Our character creation system is incredibly flexible. Basically, during the game, you will be able to create your character class by selecting two miniclasses from a total of eight miniclasses. This gives 28 possible character classes, allowing players to play a class they really like, and giving a lot of replay value. We did not want to keep the players locked into one of the five or so standard character classes. If they want to carry a big axe and throw fireballs, we wanted to allow them to create a character class that would support that type of gameplay. </blockquote>
<br>
Or you could just go with a skill based system and let the player develop how he wants without any dual class limits at all.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Or you could just go with a skill based system and let the player develop how he wants without any dual class limits at all.

There's a thought.

28 classes? Is this like Morrowind's bunch of classes that wind up being under the usual three archtypes of fighter, mage and thief?

Other goodies:

Teh Article!! said:
Most monsters will generally attack you on sight, because that is usually the most fun type of monster AI to fight against,

Maybe I'm just unimpressionable but I found that kind of tactic the most boring since it is so predictable. Not only is it predictable but it is used so repetitiouslly.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I will say that I was rather stunned by the gameplay video of the game. While it's just another action CRPG, it actually did look somewhat fun. That and I liked the big, nasty statues attacking the little tiny player.

Screaming_life

Liturgist
The game sounds shit:

GS: How intelligent are opponents, by the way? Will they simply attack you on sight until you die, or will the smarter ones use tactics? We know in one sequence of the E3 demo, a huge troll stomped on the scene and scared off tinier creatures. But is this a scripted reaction, or will creatures behave that way anytime the odds change?

BS: Our monsters will have many different levels and types of intelligence. The artificial intelligence for monsters is not only used to present different tactical challenges, but it also gives some personality. Most monsters will generally attack you on sight, because that is usually the most fun type of monster AI to fight against, but we will mix it up with monsters that use intelligent tactics, which will require a little thought on the best way to defeat them.

Monster AI is varied and used not only to present different tactical challenges but also give some personality BUT most monsters will generally just attack on sight!! so no variety, no tactics and no personality! :?

and why? because it's more fun! :shock: :?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Do you think it would be more fun if all the monsters were as intelligent as the Murlocs in World of Warcraft who do nothing but snare you, attack you at a distance, and run away to throw nets at you again?

Let's face it, it's an action RPG - and monsters rushing at you is a huge part of the 'action RPG' aspect. It isn't as if monsters in most games, including non-action RPGs do anything besides that. I will of course expect human enemies to run away, cast healing spells, buffs, or whatever, but I wouldn't expect a pack of zombies or mindless golems to do anything but fight to kill you to defend whatever treasure they're guarding.

BS: You will not be able to hire minions, but you will be able to summon pets. We have three different types of pets in the game, which become available through the skill system. All pets are fully autonomous, generally doing the "right" thing in any given situation. We will additionally have controls for hardcore players to give their pets some orders. We will also allow the player to configure their pets with skills, allowing players to customize their pets to match their play styles.
I think that sounds particularly cool.

Screaming_life

Liturgist
Sol Invictus said:
Let's face it, it's an action RPG - and monsters rushing at you is a huge part of the 'action RPG' aspect. It isn't as if monsters in most games, including non-action RPGs do anything besides that. I will of course expect human enemies to run away, cast healing spells, buffs, or whatever, but I wouldn't expect a pack of zombies or mindless golems to do anything but fight to kill you to defend whatever treasure they're guarding.

I wouldn't expect anything from an action rpg but he does say:

monsters will have many different levels and types of intelligence. The artificial intelligence for monsters is not only used to present different tactical challenges, but it also gives some personality.

It just brought back the whole sacred nightmare reading : "Most monsters will generally attack you on sight, because that is usually the most fun type of monster AI to fight against"

I don't find this fun... i would much prefer it if there were tactics other than rapidly clicking involved.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Sacred's monsters don't attack you if you're higher up in level then them. They just stand there and look rather dumb. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom