Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TOEE - The paralympian's dungeon crawl

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
The Walkin' Dude said:
Yes but I hear you can level up above the 10 levels. Its sounds, well, lame considering the game has only available content for those 10 levels. Is this true?

As taxacaria implied, this is optional every time you start a game via the Co8 front-end. Quite useful for soloing the game :wink:

John Yossarian

Magister
I think you need patch 3 to fix the loot bug, and a lot of the items followers carry are theirs, so they won't sell them or give them to your party members (but you can steal them, or just kill the little fuckers. Damned free-loaders.)

Selenti

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
One reason I can't get back into ToEE is the fedex quests that you have to do to get up to level 2, and then the grinding. It takes so long just to get started with the actual game in ToEE that I just don't feel like it.

Sounds pretty pansy to me. I always went to the Moathouse at level 1, if you have to outlevel everything to beat it, you deserve mind-numbing tedium of leveling up on talkspam quests.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Jedi_Learner said:
Patch 3 just refuses to load the game on my computer. And to install Patch 2 I needed to install Patch 1 first. Followers just refuse to sell the loot they get from the Dungeon crawls and become encumbered. It's funny when the Blacksmith in Hommlet goes, "Give me a moment Sartarius, this customer (follower) was in front of you. There, now what can I do for you?" Not fun. :roll:

I'd recommend playing with Co8 mod 5 with the Cumalative fixpack. Use humble NPCs as this 'cures' the issue of NPC looting (radical 'fix' but such is life).

Don't use patch 3. It stinks. Use Co8 instead (or you can just install Moebius' .dll hack which Co8 uses which is available at Sorceror's.net IIRC). Using patch 1 to install patch 2 is quite common (I have to do it).

Link to comprehensive instructions for installing Co8:
http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3300

As for the game being harder in the beginning than the end, yeah kind of due to DnD ruleset. At level 1, a monster farts and you die. At level 10, you fart and the dungeon blows up.

Does Co8 improve the game? It cures a hell of a lot of bugs, adds things Troika just didn't have time to implement and also adds some optional new content (as well as not optional new content - although very few people complain about being able to buy masterwork stuff ;) ).

Just a quick thought on evil alignments - the game isn't really as well developed for parties of evil alignment as it is for good and neutral alignments. But it is worth playing through as evil just for a change as there are a few interesting quest lines which result.

Not sure what the hivemind's obsession with katanas is all about. All the stuff added in the way of new weapons is directly from the world ToEE is set in. Hell, the original game had a coolie hat.

Much cooler than a katana is the Sword of Omens which is in the original game. The really cool stuff added by Co8 is hidden and can only be consoled in. Some of our toys for testing are very nifty :)

bryce77

Scholar
i loved the co8 katanas i liked to make a fighter car and give him the elven chainmail and put a coolie hat on him with 2 katanas i would craft them one with fir e magicks and one with ice magics i would call them FIERY and ICEY ; :)

Texas Red

Whiner
Julio, how can you only install the bug fixes?! I have asked here and on the official boards and they told me it cant be done.

bryce77

Scholar
it means while u play the game u choose not to go into the new areas !!! anyway there is no reason to play vanilla toee anyway, it's not like co8 changes anything radically; it only improves. i would recommend ALL first-time toee players to play with co8 installed and never once experience vanilla toee

Ladonna

Arcane
Listen to Julio.

There is no, none, zero reason to play the unfinished vanilla TOEE. Co8 really makes the game a lot better.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
So is there a FAQ of this mod that tells me what was added, changed and modified? I'm having difficulty finding one. And can I choose not to include certain things? I read somewhere that this mod allows you to make level 20, which I feel is unecessary and will ruin the balance. Thank you.

bryce77

Scholar
dm_lubeck_milde8.jpg

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Jedi_Learner said:
So is there a FAQ of this mod that tells me what was added, changed and modified? I'm having difficulty finding one. And can I choose not to include certain things? I read somewhere that this mod allows you to make level 20, which I feel is unecessary and will ruin the balance. Thank you.

No FAQ but the readme is as comprehensive as it could be made. You can choose to disable certain things via the Frontend and in the install process. You can set the levelcap to level 1 if you want to, whatever floats your boat.

denelyon

Novice
Also, the cap won't be automatically changed. IF you want it at 10 leave it alone. Options, buddy-boy, it's about options. Another thing, you complain about so-called "extra content" which is actually content from the original module. Atari screwed this entire project by forcing Troika to release it before it was ready.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Didn't Atari force them to cut content to lower the rating, from Mature to Teen or something like that denelyon? And I didn't mean to come across as complaining.

Selenti

Liturgist
Yep. One of the dialogues cut, to give you an example, was when you're working for the Temple. One of the head priests in there explicitly takes a piss while talking to you.

Gwendo

Augur
FOr me, the most frustating thing in this game, is that my characters, no matter how high their skills, miss hits 70% of the time.

It's disgusting and boring.

Sodomy

Scholar
Gwendo said:
FOr me, the most frustating thing in this game, is that my characters, no matter how high their skills, miss hits 70% of the time.

It's disgusting and boring.
Assign higher rolls for your STR for fighters.

Gwendo

Augur
Done that. Also invested on Dexterity. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be in lower levels, but it's frustating.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Hitting gets better as you go along, but you'll properly want to have a check at a item database (Gamebanshee) or something if your're playing TOEE alone with no mods so you know which items are more developed and varied. My Paladin was only able to find a + 2 Longsword and thus couldn't hit some of the bosses in the final encounters. I had to rely on summoning powerful creatures at the end. And my Monk wasn't exactly helpful towards the end either. :?

Sodomy

Scholar
Gwendo said:
Done that. Also invested on Dexterity. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be in lower levels, but it's frustating.
That may be part of your problem; Dex doesn't affect To-Hit in D&D.

Are you sure you're proficient in the weapon you're trying to use?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom