Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tomb Raider 2013

Angthoron

Arcane
Square Enix is the best mainstream AAA publisher today. Fuck you if you wish ill will to them.

Don't worry SE, I will always love you for DXHR and Sleeping Dogs.
Some great publisher if tomb raider sells more than 3 million copies and that's considered weak.
I don't particularly like any publishers, but as things go, Squeenix is among the least putrid mainstream ones, at least they have variety in their line-up, sure, some's shit, but some's genuinely good stuff. They're often dumb, but at least tolerable.

Sales expectation things though, yeah. I do wonder what metrics the publishers use to expect/demand 5-million sales overall.

DemonKing

Arcane
I just finished this last night and have to say it was a decent game, if not really too closely related to the previous TR titles. There weren't any puzzles that had me scratching my head for more than a few seconds but on the other hand the combat was much better than previous TR games to the extent that it was occassionally enjoyable this time around. The game is basically linear but you can backtrack and look for secrets left unfound if you wish and you can upgrade your skills and weapons over the course of the game which worked reasonably well. Overall a decent effort but it would be nice if they can actually capture a bit more of the spirit of the originals in the inevitable sequel.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Square Enix is the best mainstream AAA publisher today. Fuck you if you wish ill will to them.

Don't worry SE, I will always love you for DXHR and Sleeping Dogs.
Some great publisher if tomb raider sells more than 3 million copies and that's considered weak.
Also sleeping dogs was bad.
I didn't say that they have realistic financial goals. Sleeping Dogs was awesome.

Malpercio

Arcane
I played it for a while, then i realized the game wouldn't let me play without a QTE or scripted event every five seconds, then i realized if i wanted to do some island explore i should just replay the first 2 chapters of Risen, so i gave up.

I honestly had more fun with RE6 despite it being a shit game with the same problems (QTE, scripted shit everywhere), at least it had co-op.

MapMan

Arcane
I have a feeling that if the game had more actual tomb raiding and clever puzzles, less QTEs and pretentious bullshit then it might end up a good TR game... Meh.

Regdar

Arcane
Anyone tried playing commando Lara? Shit's fucking hilarious. :lol:

Lancehead

Liturgist
So those numbers that they "wanted to sell" aren't necessarily the break-even numbers, I imagine?

DeepOcean

Arcane
So raping old franchises can make them sell better, but make them so expensive that a modest amount of extra sales aren't enough. I remember that the old hitman and Tomb Raider games sold in the 2.0 - 2.5 million copies range, they made a massive investment only to sell a extra 1 million copies.

Kitako

Arcane
y7Xu922.jpg

Sodafish

Arcane
But wearing a jacket would hide the bewbies and reduce the emotional engagement.

DemonKing

Arcane
But wearing a jacket would hide the bewbies and reduce the emotional engagement.

Her bra must be made of Kevlar - every other part of her clothing gets ripped to shreds by the end of the game but somehow it survives intact.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"I hope like hell that Bioshock Infinite sells more than five million copies by the time April finishes."

I don't.
Good text though.

Ermm

Erudite
So, if Bioshock Infinite is the second biggest release after Tomb Raider in terms of sales, does it means it's also a flop?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Uncharted is a great game!

Seriously, Uncharted is not guilty about this "ludonarratie dissonance" bullshit. The story and characters don't contradict the story. The hero is an Indinana Jones type of hero from the beginning, being able to handle himself pretty well. Lara in the other hand should be a spoiled rich kid, but suddenly she can kill dozens of grown, armed men.

Uncharted was horrible as game and mediocre as movie(didn't played the third).
No platforms to jump on,no sense of danger when jumping or moving,nothing to think only press the awesome button to see the next screen,no talent required.
Horrible fights,horrible enemies and ai,boring as hell fights that took %90 of playing time.
Cutscene after cutcene that makes mgs series look like a game,over the top action scenes where it's good to seem 3-4 for times but becomes really boring after the 10-15(seriously how many soldiers and helicopters does enemy have)
Only saving grace for the series is great looking places that felt empty and soulles when you explore them.
I didn't spend that much on this shit but even that 15 bucks feels to expensive for this shit.
Your whole comment reeks of retardation, I don't believe you even played the game.
I'm sorry J_C but as much fun as I had, drunkenly playing Uncharted games with few buddies, he's absolutely correct.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
when the game offers you to kill hundreds of people

But they're all men, and therefore don't count. If all that horrible stuff was happening to a male protagonist, nobody would give a toss.
Case in point; Dead Space, where the various horrific, macabre, and excrutiatingly painful ways to die in the game were used as a marketing gimmick.
Case in point; name a male protagonist in a big name game production that gets sexually assaulted or harassed. That's the op's complaint. Or that's what it should be.

What is worse is seeing emasculated men defending this bullshit. Everywhere men are depicted as dumb, irresponsible, not better than children and on every action movie ever, men are disposable, targets to be shot. Women are depicted as responsible, courageous, caring, incapable of lying, if they are so good and being half of the population, why the world is this piece of shit? This game is based on a gimmick: Gratuitous shock scenes, you should care for Lara suffering. Why? Because she is a beautiful womin. Apparently, nobody care about ugly bitches.
She's a beautiful wymmyn because she's the protagonist. Just like Nathan Drake was a ruggedly handsome fella. Player is supposed to be attached to her and shocked for her because she is the protagonist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom