Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Top Selling PC Games - September

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Icewind Dale 2

<a href="http://www.npdtechworld.com/">NPDTechWorld</a> has released their list of the <i>Top 20 PC Games Sales for September</i>. Only one CRPG on that list, <a href="http://icewind2.blackisle.com">IWD2</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>1 The Sims: Unleashed Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts $29
<br>
2 Battlefield 1942 - Electronic Arts $45
<br>
3 Warcraft III: Reign Of Chaos - Vivendi Universal Publishing $52
<br>
4 Unreal Tournament 2003 - Infogrames Entertainment $46
<br>
5 The Sims: Vacation Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts $28
<br>
6 The Sims Deluxe - Electronic Arts $42
<br>
7 The Sims - Electronic Arts $43
<br>
8 Roller Coaster Tycoon - Infogrames Entertainment $17
<br>
9 Mafia - Gathering of Developers $48
<br>
10 MS Zoo Tycoon - Microsoft $25
<br>
11 The Sims: Hot Date Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts $29
<br>
12 Medieval: Total War - Activision $38
<br>
13 Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault - Electronic Arts $46
<br>
<b>14 Icewind Dale 2 - Interplay $45</b>
<br>
15 Sponge Bob Square Pants: Operation Krabby Patty - THQ Inc $20
<br>
16 Madden NFL 2003 - Electronic Arts $38
<br>
17 Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone - Electronic Arts $23
<br>
18 Sim Theme Park World - Electronic Arts $17
<br>
19 Backyard Baseball 2003 - Infogrames Entertainment $19
<br>
20 Grand Theft Auto 3 - Take 2 Interactive/Rockstar $47</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href="http://ve3d.com">VoodooExtreme</a>

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The sad thing is, I think there are only five Sims products.

I agree though. I just never understood why the Sims does so well in sales. I just don't see anything remotely fun about them.

Vikjunk

Novice
Saint_Proverbius said:
The sad thing is, I think there are only five Sims products.

I agree though. I just never understood why the Sims does so well in sales. I just don't see anything remotely fun about them.

I think the reason Sims is popular is the same reason the tycoon series are popular. Your building something in the game and people like to see how your Sims/tourist react to what you built...

Deathy

Liturgist
Vikjunk said:
I think the reason Sims is popular is the same reason the tycoon series are popular. Your building something in the game and people like to see how your Sims/tourist react to what you built...
Speaking of that, Rollercoaster Tycoon has been in the top ten for 4 years now, I think.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rollercoaster Tycoon deserves to be. It's a damned good game with a solid design. It's a hell of a lot of fun.

As for The Sims being like those type games, it's really not. With the Tycoon games, you can set things up and watch them work. Take Rollercoaster Tycoon, for example. You can make a really extreme coaster that's fun as hell, but makes people sick. Just set a maintenance guy to patrol only near that coaster, and you no longer have to worry about vistors complaining about the vomit.

In The Sims, no matter how rich you get, you still have to make your person use the bathroom, eat, shower, and all that other mundane crap. You're stuck doing the same thing, over and over and over again. It's just silly.

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
Chris Sawyer has just produced RCT2, and it's not getting great press. I read a review at Gamespot and they said it wasn't different enough, which I found amusing in some ways.

First, they said the graphics were the same as the old ones. So they're having a go at it for sticking with great graphics that everyone liked instead of changing to new, possibly less well liked graphics just so they can say they did.

Second, they seemed quite surpised it was still a park building game. There were a lot of comments that amounted to "the gameplay still boils down to building Roller Coasters."

Deathy

Liturgist
The problem I have with it, one that makes me disinterested in the game, is that it looks no different than the first one.
I have the first one, why should I by this one?

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
I feel something akin to that everytime MS releases a new version of Word. However, there are new features in RCT2. If any of them attract you, buy the game. If not, stick with the old one.

As for graphics, why should they change them if people like them? Did you not like the old ones? I thought they were great, and I'm glad they're still in there.

I think people need to get away from expecting a new version to be a different game. New versions should be the same game with improved/added features, better support and exploitation of today's platforms and technology, and the absence of things that detracted from previous versions. It should not change the fundamental proposition of the game or the gameplay.

If you want a different game, buy a different game, not a new version of the same game.

Deathy

Liturgist
Oh, I agree that a sequel should be similar to the original.

The only problem with that is that it should be different enough to warrant being called a sequel and not an expansion pack.

With RPG's, it's a lot easier to use the same engine with minor enhancments, because the story is a lot more important. In freeform simulation games, such as RCT, a sequel using the same engine just doesn't deserve status as a sequel.

RCT2 is essentially a stand alone add on pack, from the information I see. I'd imagine that releasing an expansion pack for a 4 year old game is pretty poor business sense, so they made it a stand alone title.

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
Unfortunately for us all, the only way to really assess these things is to try them.

Fortunately for me, Game's new returns policy means I'll be able to do that and not get landed with a dead 'un ;)

Lysa is a big RCT fan. I expect she'll get 2 soon, and I'll let you know how she feels about its merits.

One thing - I would be careful about using the word "sequel". Sequels are often more than just new versions. The relationship between sequel and original is extension. The relationship between versions is revision. In other words, we can reasonably feel robbed if a sequel is not different to the original, whereas a new version that does exactly the same thing (only better) is acceptable.

Ibbz

Augur
The thing is though, RCT 2 should of been an expansion pack. I do have it and the only noticeable changes i've seen is some new amenties, and a few more parks.

Sheriff_Fatman

Liturgist
Making it an expansion pack would have precluded the side of new versions relating to new technology and new platforms. The original game was written for older versions of Windows and lower spec machines.

Plus, there is only so much you can bolt onto a piece of software before it develops a flat head, nasty scarring and a tendancy to run off with local virgins.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, I loved RCT. I plan on getting PCT2 when it comes out, because there are features in that new feature list that appeal to me. I've been playing RCT since I first got it, off and on, so I figure I can stand to toss another $50 over to Chris Sawyer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom