Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Torment Kickstarter Update #30: George Ziets joins inXile full-time as Lead Area Designer

hiver

I still have not played MoTB, but I'm guessing Goerge joining full time is a good thing.
Do. Not. Guess.

Know. thats a pillar of incline, right there.

Also, go play it.

hiver

Oh, it's definitely on my list, one of the top spots even.
:rpgcodex:

- well, seeing where some threads in site feedback are going, this may be a moot point. But i guess you know what i meant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 7219

I still have not played MoTB, but I'm guessing Goerge joining full time is a good thing.
Wasteland 2 shows that there is much room for improvement in inXile, so hiring talented people is the way to go.

You haven't played MotB? Wish I was in your shoes - I remember how great it was to play it through the first time.

Seriously, get NWN2 from GOG and start a playthrough of just MotB, it really is one of the all time great RPGs.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And because this is the Codex, I will disagree with the above.

I'm not that excited about MotB. It's great compared to NWN2 OC (what isn't? NWN1 OC, maybe), and it's good on its own too, I guess, but I don't think it's nowhere near what it's made to be by some people. Very overrated, not even close to being an "all time great RPG".

Edit: To be fair, though, I played it seven two times.

This will also serve to keep you from being overly excited about the game and ending up disappointed. You can thank me later. :codexisfor:

hiver

I'm not that excited about MotB. It's great compared to NWN2 OC (what isn't? NWN1 OC, maybe), and it's good on its own too, I guess, but I don't think it's nowhere near what it's made to be by some people. Very overrated, not even close to being an "all time great RPG".
Well, sure. It is DnD and Neverwinter nights 2 game.
Yet it was the only really good game that came at that time and in the middle of a large period of decline.

Which is the reason it made people react to it so nicely. Though i remember a lot of screaming about the spirit meter and other stuff, from the more casual crowd.
I myself was really, reaaaally pissed off about some things
(like the wall and how that all went down, for example)
- buuut... it is a little jewel with quite a few sparkling smaller sections and features and parts, that shine from under the garbage of DnD setting and various NWN things.

Rake

Arcane

This will also serve to keep you from being overly excited about the game and ending up disappointed. You can thank me later. :codexisfor:
Yes but do you consider Torment an "all time great RPG"? If yes, what shortcomings MotB had compaired to it?

himmy

Arcane
Though i remember a lot of screaming about the spirit meter and other stuff, from the more casual crowd.

With the risk of being called a filthy casual, I'll say that all three of my attempts at playing MotB were stopped short by that mechanic. It wasn't fun in Bloodrayne and it wasn't fun in here. At least two of the times I ended up with a horribly crippled character following my attempts to fight some sort of liches in some urns or something like that. I liked the mood of the game and I welcomed the departure from the East Coast West Coast, but the soul meter mechanic was just highly unappealing to me, as it seemed to create a state of perpetual artificial crisis.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
East Coast

Nice Freudian slip there...filthy casual. :cool:

The only thing I remember of the spirit meter in MotB was "suppress suppress oh shit I ran out of things to suppress OH THANKS TREE suppress suppress game over yay!"

The game just wasn't big enough to really run out of time. Don't know what people were doing.

throwaway

Cipher
Yes but do you consider Torment an "all time great RPG"? If yes, what shortcomings MotB had compaired to it?

Not as personal (or great) a story, not as unique a world. The false promise of bringing down the wall. The NWN2 engine. In that order.

hiver

Though i remember a lot of screaming about the spirit meter and other stuff, from the more casual crowd.

With the risk of being called a filthy casual, I'll say that all three of my attempts at playing MotB were stopped short by that mechanic. It wasn't fun in Bloodrayne and it wasn't fun in here. At least two of the times I ended up with a horribly crippled character following my attempts to fight some sort of liches in some urns or something like that. I liked the mood of the game and I welcomed the departure from the East Coast West Coast, but the soul meter mechanic was just highly unappealing to me, as it seemed to create a state of perpetual artificial crisis.

You see what you did there?
You made infinitron able to larp a hard core gamer... fer shame... fer shame!

Also, bloodrayne? BLOODRAYNE?
What the hell did she had to do with any kind of spirit meter? Or even some kind of blood-hunger meter? wtf? you could jump on someone neck every two seconds.

it seemed to create a state of perpetual artificial crisis.
super dread curse... a being able and driven to consume souls? and you wanted to have a happy time in disney?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rake

Arcane

Not as personal (or great) a story, not as unique a world. The false promise of bringing down the wall. The NWN2 engine. In that order.
Well, i was looking for his answer. I agree that MotB isn't in the same league as Torment, but what is?
He appears to not think much about MotB which follows Torment's design, that's why i asked him. Having worse story than Torment doesn't excludes a game from being great, or else everything is shit.

Septaryeth

Augur

I honestly think it's not that difficult.
I don't recall any situation in Chapter 1 that will force you to consume more than one spirit per day.
Thus your craving should remain at a very low level and energy only deplete at a very slow rate.
Afterwards you get to consume undead(do not increase craving)/lower craving through spells, and since there are abundant of them it's easy to keep both craving at min/spirit energy at max.
In fact it can make the game too easy as you get to craft all sorts of overpowered items by resting in the tomb/kill undead/consume to gain essence/repeat.

Apparently evil path is slightly more risky before Chapter 2, but once you acquire the skill to devour humanoid as well as undead, there is nothing stopping you from just eating everything and have both craving and energy max out.
You get even more powerful items that are only available by eating specific individuals.

InternalRevenue

Educated
As I recall there was a bug or oversight with the spirit meter that would drain it very quickly whenever you traveled. You could end up dying or horribly crippled just traveling from Mulsantir if your meter wasn't full. Got patched pretty quickly though.

DeepOcean

Arcane

With the risk of being called a filthy casual, I'll say that all three of my attempts at playing MotB were stopped short by that mechanic.
Man, how did you managed that? The first time I played, I was playing a good character, the second time I played I was playing an evil world eater and both times I never got even close to dying and both times as a wizard. Did you gave up before the tree cleaning you up while playing a good guy?Honestly MotB without the spirit bar would plunge from a great game to a mediocre game as the player would be completely detached from the reality of the curse, it was a great way to make the player feel that was a real problem that needed to be solved or dominated.

Because when I look at Ziet's employee photo, I see a guy who REALLY gets into having an office near the beach:D

The only way I can see that being an actual motivating factor for him would be if his doctor has advised him that if he doesn't get some sunlight he's going to die.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I agree, it felt like an odd mechanic at first but in the long run it improved my immersion and enjoyment of the game.

It wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying to devour Myrkul or the Founder or Akachi if you hadn't spent the rest of the game managing the curse and devouring all the random plebs that crossed your path.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom