Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera announced for PS4 and Xbox One, gets new trailer

Andhaira

Arcane
How the hell a multimillionaire ends up banging something that grotesque?

Look at his house. Millionaires don't have tastes of the common people. He likes 'em surgically altered, e.g. his second wife here https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/674436481771962372/uIbe8vMJ.jpg https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHJktjOCMAAu4XG.jpg

Was the one posted above (lara croft) the third wife, also here with blonde hair:

newport-coast-residents-ashley-and-brian-fargo-and-leyla-milani-manny-khoshbin-manny-khoshbin-1555656051.jpg

If so who was the first wife, the cunt with the bentley?

And any pics of the new girlfriend?

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!

Honestly I think BF could very well be a member of the Wells Fargo family, considering he owned Interplay at one point. The seed funding for that had to come from somewhere.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Was the one posted above (lara croft) the third wife, also here with blonde hair:

Yes.

If so who was the first wife, the cunt with the bentley?

No, she's https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0727/6027/t/2/assets/suzanneambiance.jpg?13078991028411050254 the only normal-looking one.

Honestly I think BF could very well be a member of the Wells Fargo family, considering he owned Interplay at one point. The seed funding for that had to come from somewhere.

He is, but he claims that he didn't get much of anything out of it, other than extra-politeness whenever he has business with the bank.

Andhaira

Arcane

lol, no wonder he changed models. Even with the plastique look the third whore looks better than this creature out of the black lagoon.

So who was the sloot with the bentley? She looks really smoking. Just a random instagram offering for wealthy Arab Sheikhs and Russian oligarchs?

And any closeups of the current gf? She looked 18 in that photo with the Romeros & Avellone.

He is, but he claims that he didn't get much of anything out of it, other than extra-politeness whenever he has business with the bank.

Perhaps the bank funded Interplay, or gave him a Bank Guarantee despite him having little to no business background.

Random Fact(s): I had a job interview with Wells Fargo years ago; they never called me back. :( Didn't help I screwed the interview up a bit by being tired and not well prepared. The CIA was interviewing in the room next to me though. :obviously:

I can see it being interesting from the right angle. Like: compare the answer you give if it's someone else's life, then you want to be a good person so you admit that you should be treated equally, then does it matter if you're the unwilling sacrificial lamb.

But still, the classics are the best, and surprisingly untapped in gaming.

Take one that every first year philosophy student has heard. There's a bunch of kids in the way of a rail car. You're the driver, and you can switch tracks to one where there's only one innocent kid in the way. Easy fucking decision, right? 3 lives vs 1, simple as you can get.

Now, let's say you're not the driver, but a horrified observer looking on from a bridge directly above. The system is automated, so there's no way of changing tracks and saving the 3 kids....except that standing next to you is another horrified onlooker, who happens to be very fat. Fat enough to stop the railcar in it's tracks. And he's leaning over the edge in horror - everyone is looking at the 3 kids, so nobody is going to notice if you push the guy off the bridge into the path of the rail car.

Still as easy? Most people answer no...but 3 lives v 1, isn't that supposed to be an easy decision, wasn't that what we thought in the first version, right?

Let's take another version (my preferred pair of examples). You're a doctor working in emergency, and 5 horribly injured people get rushed in to the ER from a horrific rail-car accident. 1 of them can be saved without any organ transplants, but it's going to take your undivided attention for 12 hours. The other 4 can all be saved in that time, but they each need a healthy organ that the first guy has. Easy decision, right? In fact, it's how every hospital operates - normal triage procedure, you prioritise the 4 lives over the 1.

Now let's say that there's those same 4 people who can be saved but only with organ transplants. The hospital is clean out, there's been a wave of nutjobs pushing fat people in front of railcars, and it's taken up all the available organ transplant resources. In the waiting room is a perfectly healthy guy who has just come in for a check-up. Probably the healthiest guy you've met...his organs are likely to be in mint condition. And he's nodded off to sleep while waiting, he won't even notice if you creep up behind him and jab him with a needle....

4 lives v 1, just like before. Easy decision, right? Right?

There's been countless books and movies based on this very paradox. Yet I can't think of a single game that's used it. And it's one that's far better suited to gaming, where you have to make the calls, and there's no deus ex machina on hand to magically allow you to save everyone.

This is what we get for taking sartre antiphilosophy seriously. Only in liblol 'morality' can you trade the life of one person for others. The fat guy didn't get on the tracks, and the other kid only got onto the tracks while they were safe. Fuck those other kids, they are probably cunts anyway and they may even have got on the tracks just to force you into such an action for all we know. And if you did do either of these things then you would be going to jail.

It's not Sartre, it's consequentialism v deontology. I actually agree that it's a philosophical wrong turn, but that wrong turn happened around 800AD, so not the anti-philosophy that you're thinking of:) (the Sartre dilemma is a different beast - that's the story about 'do you join the resistance to fight the Nazis, or stay home to look after your sick mother' - Sartre is arguing that his type of puzzle has no objectively right/wrong answer, you only get it wrong if you refuse to make a choice, or pretend that outside circumstances made the choice for you; the examples I gave are much more traditional than that, and they're predicated on the belief that there absolutely is a right and wrong choice in each example, with the puzzle being why is right choice so clearly different, when the examples seem to be similar. Personally, I take it as evidence of moral communitarianism, that relationships and interpersonal duties matter - you don't need a relationship/duty to someone for them to matter morally, but just because 2 lives are equally valuable doesn't mean that you've got the same obligation to both.

I actually think it's clearest when you look at animal rights. It's more fucked up to cause suffering to your dog, than to a random wolf - in fact, you can leave the random wolf to die if you find it injured, but you're an asshole if you do that your pet dog. That doesn't mean that they don't both have intrinsic moral significance due to their capacity to feel pain - you're still an asshole if you just randomly go up and torture wild animals for no reason. And you're not under any delusion that your pet dog is somehow worth 'more', morally, than the wolf - in fact, you might believe the opposite, if the wolf is an endangered species. Nor is it all relative - it isn't because you, personally, care more about your pet dog - if you didn't care more about your pet dog, that wouldn't justify it, that would make you even more of an asshole. It's because when people say 'the dog is part of my family', they're describing - in very loose analogical terms - something that is actually real. Community, civic and familial relationships matter.

So going back to the puzzle, for me, the starting point is that the driver and the doctor aren't just people, they're roles. Those roles give them certain duties and responsibilities - you might have a really desperate society where you need doctors to be able to kill healthy people in order to harvest their organs and save 4 lives, but it wouldn't be what we recognise as a 'doctor' anymore.

Of course, I'm in a minority here - communitarianism is basically a type of 'virtue theory', which is very much the token '3rd party' of the consequentialism v deontology 2 party system. That's not a new thing - in fact, virtue theory and communitarianism took a 2000 year holiday, and were revived mid 20th century after (and as a reaction to) existentialism, post-modernism, etc - in 1800 it was all consequentialism (utilitarians, Bentham, Mills etc) v deontology (Kant, Locke, social contract theorists, etc).

I agree that consequentialism, trading lives for lives, is the stupidist of them (though there are better versions than simple utilitarianism, and numbers do matter - surely if you keep expanding the numbers, 1 life for 100, for 1000, for 10000000, you reach a tipping point). Communitarianism/virtue theory might be a minority view, but that minority does include Aristotle. Deontology has Kant. Nihilism has Nietzsche. Can't think of any consequentialists in that league.

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane

lol, no wonder he changed models. Even with the plastique look the third whore looks better than this creature out of the black lagoon.

So who was the sloot with the bentley? She looks really smoking. Just a random instagram offering for wealthy Arab Sheikhs and Russian oligarchs?

And any closeups of the current gf? She looked 18 in that photo with the Romeros & Avellone.

Perhaps the bank funded Interplay, or gave him a Bank Guarantee despite him having little to no business background.

Random Fact(s): I had a job interview with Wells Fargo years ago; they never called me back. :( Didn't help I screwed the interview up a bit by being tired and not well prepared. The CIA was interviewing in the room next to me though. :obviously:

I had a bank account with Wells Fargo. They sucked.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
220px-Muhammad_Saeed_al-Sahhaf.png

Hey guys, just to clear up some points that we may not have touched on enough in our Kickstarter update!

We've seen some comments suggesting that backer funds from the Kickstarter are going towards the console versions of the game. These are fair concerns but rest assured, not a single penny of that money went towards console development. On top of the Kickstarter funding, inXile has put in multiple millions of dollars towards development of the game for PC, Mac, and Linux. In addition, Techland is footing the bill for console development.

We said during the Kickstarter that we weren't going to compromise on the design and to this day, we haven't. It costs more money to do so, but we've designed multiple UIs and input modes for the game (one for mouse and keyboard and one for controller) so that there didn't have to be any concessions. Whichever platform you choose, we want you to have the best experience possible and will continue to strive to make that so.

I has also come to our attention that there were pictures from the home and wife of our leader in which one could get the impression that he is nothing but a nouveau-rich chav with a trophy wife and now has an expensive divorce at hand. These are fair concerns but rest assured they are not true. It was love and in fact he that is getting money from her. She also voiced over some of the characters of Numenera for free.

Also, the Infinitron was not exluded because it might ask inconvenient questions but because of the absolutely shamefurr dispray it put up in its disclosures. Like telling people outright that something new was going to be presented in August, when this was supposed to be an absolute secret.

:bro:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The history and founding of Interplay is well documented, not sure why he'd need a seed fund to make Bard's Tale 1.

What it tells me is inXile did in fact run out of money for their vision. They needed extra, and went to a company that has never published a game before (Techland are developers, not publishers - Torment 2 will be their first). The extra time isn't just to do the console port, it's to finish the game. Which again means they still don't really have enough cash to complete their vision... Which means the whole KickStarter thing is probably dead. These guys had been saying since the start how this was PC focussed, this was a PC game... now suddenly it's a console game too and there's no problem with that?

Wasteland 2 sold nearly 600 k copies. It must have brought far more money than the whole ToN kickstarter. They hardly do not have enough cash. Or maybe they just wasted it all on new Orleans studio?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
It's not Sartre, it's consequentialism v deontology.

Let me put it this way. Sartre and other continental philosophers are the equivalent of proponents of popamolism in philosophy. They are all form and no substance. While analytic philosophers are the equivalent of grognards. They don’t care about the form, the graphics, but only about the mechanics and the content. Popamole philosophers like Sartre are overrated and can’t hold a candle to any student who made a course on practical ethics.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What it tells me is inXile did in fact run out of money for their vision. They needed extra, and went to a company that has never published a game before (Techland are developers, not publishers - Torment 2 will be their first). The extra time isn't just to do the console port, it's to finish the game. Which again means they still don't really have enough cash to complete their vision... Which means the whole KickStarter thing is probably dead. These guys had been saying since the start how this was PC focussed, this was a PC game... now suddenly it's a console game too and there's no problem with that?

Wasteland 2 sold nearly 600 k copies. It must have brought far more money than the whole ToN kickstarter. They hardly do not have enough cash. Or maybe they just wasted it all on new Orleans studio?
Lets do some basic math and business calculations. We know two things about Wasteland 2, there were at least 100k keys out before it launched, and the kickstarter covered about half the total dev cost.

So let's call that 500k in new sales. Wasteland 2 sells for $40 full price, but has been discounted many times, let's say average selling price is $30 (this is probably higher than reality, but we don't know).

$30 * 500k sales = 15 million in raw revenue.

Steam/GOG/etc take a 30% cut. So that leaves 10.5 million as revenue to InXile.

They pay back what they spend making Wasteland 2, leaves 7.5 in profit.

Then they pay taxes, in California is gonna be p high, I'd expect that leaves them with ~4 million dollars to invest in future projects.

This doesn't even consider Fargo and the other owners of InXile might want some of that profit to go to them.

Lets do some basic math and business calculations. We know two things about Wasteland 2, there were at least 100k keys out before it launched, and the kickstarter covered about half the total dev cost.

So let's call that 500k in new sales. Wasteland 2 sells for $40 full price, but has been discounted many times, let's say average selling price is $30 (this is probably higher than reality, but we don't know).

$30 * 500k sales = 15 million in raw revenue.

Steam/GOG/etc take a 30% cut. So that leaves 10.5 million as revenue to InXile.

They pay back what they spend making Wasteland 2, leaves 7.5 in profit.

Then they pay taxes, in California is gonna be p high, I'd expect that leaves them with ~4 million dollars to invest in future projects.

This doesn't even consider Fargo and the other owners of InXile might want some of that profit to go to them.

Those numbers don't take into an account gog and console sales. There were also 70 k backers not 100k

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
If memory serves me right, Fargo invested 800k of his own money on W2 development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom