Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
JOQvJs.png

Prime Junta

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "fold" tbh. What, the animation? Most RPGs including PS:T have a dialogue interface that goes away when you end dialogue. Is it that you want a little window at the bottom where you can still peek at it after you're done?

It's the animations plus the sheer size of the dialogue/interaction UI, including the font size, the camera control, the very big and very in-your-face examine/interact icons, quest notifications, and objective panels.

Individually each of these things is a relatively minor annoyance, but they add up to something painful.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoa, found a place where sea is still a shitlord: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/sear/forums/ (or was eight months ago at least)

The Doom Thread - RIP AND TEAR. (2009-2016)

"Hey guys, we're bringing back classic Doom!"

> "press X to melee" animated kill sequences

> slow normal movement speed

> only a few enemies on screen at once

> multiplayer looks like a copy-paste of Halo 5

Yeah, no.

Of course there's also this:

Video games against depression and anxiety

I'm bipolar, depressive and have social anxiety. I constantly go back and forth between extreme moods, sometimes multiple times a day. I don't play multiplayer because I don't find it fulfilling (it feels like a waste of time) and I often don't have the motivation to play anything. So no, games really don't help anything and aren't an escape or coping mechanism at all.

That's sea all right.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

What are those red rectangles near the character portraits?
Those are... health bars?! :|
Health bars were added a while ago because people were confused there was no HP.
The Game Analists

They've tinkered with the basic Cypher System mechanics a quite a lot. There are four new stats: Health, Resistance, Evasion, and Willpower; each of the Pools affects these stats. Don't know yet if these secondary defensive stats will go down as my pools drain. I never was a huge fan of the Numenera mechanics, but I still think this is a bit of a shame -- they were different and these changes dilute this uniqueness quite a bit as well as making things murkier overall. Perhaps they were necessary for gameplay balance reasons or something though. There's no indication of how Health is calculated, other than that Might contributes 1:1. I have 28 Heath and 8 Might so that 20 Health came from somewhere.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:codexisfor:

I WANT MY MONEY BACK I WANT MY MONEY BACK I WANT MY DICKETY DICKETY DICKETY FUCKING SHIT PICKETY MONEY BACK

:philosoraptor:

Parabalus

Arcane
So I fired this up to hop on the hatetrain and, well, I clicked the fucking disable tutorial button in the options before starting the game - sadly left me without anything to complain about.

The start seems better than all previous versions. Don't have the feeling the "mystery" is spoiled at the start, rather, I'm left with the impression that I know as much about the Sorrow&co as Feng does about lore, same with trusting the specter.
Journal doesn't annoy me at all, only difference to "I've updated my journal" is that you get a headline. Maybe that crisis window is too much, but I skipped the first one and I doubt any others have it.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
So I fired this up to hop on the hatetrain and, well, I clicked the fucking disable tutorial button in the options before starting the game - sadly left me without anything to complain about.

The start seems better than all previous versions. Don't have the feeling the "mystery" is spoiled at the start, rather, I'm left with the impression that I know as much about the Sorrow&co as Feng does about lore, same with trusting the specter.
Journal doesn't annoy me at all, only difference to "I've updated my journal" is that you get a headline. Maybe that crisis window is too much, but I skipped the first one and I doubt any others have it.

Same.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
but I skipped the first one and I doubt any others have it.

Regarding the Crisis Objectives in general, those are intended to surface possibilities you might miss, but they do not reveal every possible option outright. You might notice the first couple of encounters are a little more directed, that's by design so people can smoothly learn the system. Later ones show fewer details since we can rely on players having more sense of how the game works.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
"It's O-K guyz, you can just completely pretend it isn't there, but it still is"

Fuck this game.

And fuck me for being a fucking moron and funding it.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Another grievance regarding the starting loredump: it completely screws the "mystary" structure. I mean, go figure, but there's a specific reason for this.

The setup is more or less the same as in PS:T. There were other versions of you before going around the world causing trubble, but you have no memory of this. However, in PS:T you learnt of the different incarnations fairly late, and at the start when someone recognises you, it leaves you fairly confused and wondering what the whole deal is about. Also, initially those things are actually fairly scarce, unless you've played the game once already and know how to read the telltale signs of incarnation shenanigans. That's cool.

On the other hand, in Tworment you learn of all the different incarnations and the changing god ("practical incarnation") immediately, which then leads to a very convenient streak of everyone either recognising you, or having interacted with different castoffs in the past. It makes me wish there was a "it was castoffs" button that I could use to reply to all convos, because that's what it all boils down. "ZOMG! Big strange stuff happened to me in the past!" says the NPC, and so comes the PC's/player's response: "ZOMG! You were visited by a castoff!" That's not cool, and it cheapens the whole premise by a ridiculous margin, to the point that all the new "ZOMG! CASTOFF STUFF!" I keep stumbling upon just gets less and less interesting.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Another grievance regarding the starting loredump: it completely screws the "mystary" structure. I mean, go figure, but there's a specific reason for this.

The setup is more or less the same as in PS:T. There were other versions of you before going around the world causing trubble, but you have no memory of this. However, in PS:T you learnt of the different incarnations fairly late, and at the start when someone recognises you, it leaves you fairly confused and wondering what the whole deal is about. Also, initially those things are actually fairly scarce, unless you've played the game once already and know how to read the telltale signs of incarnation shenanigans. That's cool.

On the other hand, in Tworment you learn of all the different incarnations and the changing god ("practical incarnation") immediately, which then leads to a very convenient streak of everyone either recognising you, or having interacted with different castoffs in the past. It makes me wish there was a "it was castoffs" button that I could use to reply to all convos, because that's what it all boils down. "ZOMG! Big strange stuff happened to me in the past!" says the NPC, and so comes the PC's/player's response: "ZOMG! You were visited by a castoff!" That's not cool, and it cheapens the whole premise by a ridiculous margin, to the point that all the new "ZOMG! CASTOFF STUFF!" I keep stumbling upon just gets less and less interesting.
But that was said in the very beginning. That was the first thing said about the story during the KS campaign back in 2013.

You are the Last Castoff, the final link in the chain of the lives of the being they call the Changing God. He once was a man who discovered a way to use the relics of the ancients to cheat death and skip across the face of centuries in a succession of bodies. But he never knew that his bodies lived on as his consciousness fled, a new consciousness arising in each. Now he has awakened an age-old enemy, the Angel of Entropy, and his days of change are gone as the Angel hunts him and all his works. That includes... you.

With the ever-present threat of oblivion looming over you, you must find your sire before he—and you—are eradicated by the avenging Angel. You will find allies and enemies among the other castoffs. You might inhabit their minds for a time through the devices called “the Meres,” turning their lives to your advantage.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
But that was said in the very beginning. That was the first thing said about the story during the KS campaign back in 2013.

i'd say there's quite a lot of space between all this (the details of which don't check out anymore, like the "he never knew" part) and "IT WAS CASTOFFS!" being the answer to everything that happens in the gaem

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Actually, the above stuff could be used for something very interesting if it was some sort of a quasi-detective story. Let's say all sorts of Stuff (tm) could be happening, and in all cases there would be some Strange (tm) people behind it, but you'd have no guarantees whether these would be castoffs, the changing god himself, or just some completely unrelated folks. You'd have multiple whodunits, lots of potential red herrings, some deductive thinking to figure out yourself who was the culprit behind every instance of Stuff, etc.

Instead, as it is now, there's Stuff (tm) happening, then you are ZOMG! SHAKEN BY A SUDDEN MEMORY! -> It was castoffs.

*farts*

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Actually, the above stuff could be used for something very interesting if it was some sort of a quasi-detective story. Let's say all sorts of Stuff (tm) could be happening, and in all cases there would be some Strange (tm) people behind it, but you'd have no guarantees whether these would be castoffs, the changing god himself, or just some completely unrelated folks. You'd have multiple whodunits, lots of potential red herrings, some deductive thinking to figure out yourself who was the culprit behind every instance of Stuff, etc.

Instead, as it is now, there's Stuff (tm) happening, then you are ZOMG! SHAKEN BY A SUDDEN MEMORY! -> It was castoffs.

*farts*
I agree.

But my point is the castoff theme is not supposed to be the main "mystary" in the plot or even a mystery at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom