Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dhralei

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The screenshot looks okay. Doesn't overwhelm me though:3/5:

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
And yeah, update is a bit underwhelming.

Only a screenshot and some level designer talking about it.

Fryjar

Augur
I guess its safe to say that they needed to rush the update out after finding out that the picture had been leaked. They had originally probably planned for a more expansive update going along with it.

Diablo169

Arcane
I just checked the Project Eternity updates and by comparison their screenshot update also contained big stretch goals some more lore and a campaign almanac. Update for this screenshot should have been more interesting imo.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Someone photoshop the nameless one and party in there so I can get an idea of scale plx. I prefer the concept art bloom as well.
mpXsDQj.jpg

Kirtai

Augur
I wonder how many exquisitely polite emails are flying back and forth right now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess its safe to say that they needed to rush the update out after finding out that the picture had been leaked. They had originally probably planned for a more expansive update going along with it.

Nah.

imweasel

The screenshot looks okay, nothing special.

Reminds me of a low budget adventure game for some reason.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Kind of disappointed, that chances of Torment surpassing PE in funds raised, are growing ever smaller. It's a pride thing. This game deserves to be king, like its daddy before it.

imweasel

Kind of disappointed, that chances of Torment surpassing PE in funds raised, are growing ever smaller. It's a pride thing. This game deserves to be king, like its daddy before it.
I'm sure it will still make 4 million. I was hoping for a better screenshot myself, but graphics aren't everthing. It's the content that matters. :P

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Baldur's Gate always outsells Torment :(

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I still haven't quite figured out why there's such a surge of pledges at the end of high-profile Kickstarter campaigns.

On the one hand, you've got Adam Heine and others who profess to have done extensive research into Kickstarter trends stating that updates and stretch goals don't affect the final funding outcome that much. If this is taken at face value, then the final updates/stretchs goal must constitute only a small part of the reason for end-of-campaign surges.

It's unrealistic to believe that high-profile projects suddenly receive far more publicity and exposure near the end of their runs than at any other point, so that's out. Nearly everyone who wants to donate will have heard of the campaign by the final few days—and if not, then it's unlikely they'll discover the campaign right before it closes, either. (I've missed out on some campaigns I'd liked to have funded by missing them entirely, which is part of the reason I joined the Codex and read it almost daily.)

Finally, pledges can be raised or lowered at any time during a campaign, and you aren't charged until the campaign's over—unless you use PayPal, but PayPal represents only a fraction of the final amount, and so doesn't explain the surges.

So once again, I've arrived back at the conclusion that surges are caused by last-minute pledgers who don't realize that they won't be charged until the campaign's conclusion, who live paycheck-to-paycheck and therefore wait as long as possible to see how much they can afford (but they could change their pledge at any time, so...), or who wait until the last minute for some other reason I can't conceive of.

And even all of these factors combined don't go very far to explain why surges happen. In conclusion, I just don't get it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Blaine People are undecided. Psychologically, it's easier for them to commit to pledging when they know it's their last chance.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I figure a plausible explanation is that a lot of people have trouble letting go of their money, but when the deadline approaches it gets more and more difficult to resist especially since the goodies that are offered during these kickstarters are said to to exclusive so you won't have another chance again, save for extreme prices on ebay later.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Blaine People are undecided. Psychologically, it's easier for them to commit to pledging when they know it's their last chance.

I figure a plausible explanation is that a lot of people have trouble letting go of their money, but when the deadline approaches it gets more and more difficult to resist especially since the goodies that are offered during these kickstarters are said to to exclusive so you won't have another chance again, save for extreme prices on ebay later.

I'm not trying to "steal" your explanations after the fact, but I agree, and have often thought the same.

Still though, that's a big-ass surge to be caused primarily by indecisiveness. I think it's harder for me to understand that mindset, since I've been waiting for these games for a decade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom