Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TRUE HIGH RES VERSION:

y6svx0S.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Maybe they should have gone with Sagus Cliffs instead of The Bloom. That looks like it could have been a more comfortable area for the general public.

Diablo169

Arcane
Someone photoshop the nameless one and party in there so I can get an idea of scale plx. I prefer the concept art bloom as well.

grotsnik

Arcane
The background seems to be just a direct rip from the concept art (the topmost tower with the smoke stack, specifically), so that could be why they've fuzzed it up.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I kinda expected it to be more jagged and spiky instead of smoothed and curvy.

Blaine that way it just looks like London during the Industrial Revolution.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
From the Kick update:

"The big debate: playing games in 2D vs. 3D – I know many of you are interested about our decisions regarding the art direction. There has been much talk about the costs associated with "2D development," the quality and scope that can be produced by a small team, and the impact that this might have (for funding) of other departments. And trust you me, I understand from where these expectation emerge. But to be clear, what we are really talking about here is not a 2D game, but what you might call a 2.5D game, with just a portion of art production that is 2D in nature. Bear in mind, any extra time we spend noodling in 2D will be made up 10-fold when we get to our beta build and we are not ripping our eyes out trying to figure out how to get all that geometry to render efficiently on screen. Our early tests are showing very promising frame rates for our 2D assets, freeing up additional processing power for characters, FX, lighting, post-processes, etc."

Uh, that makes me dazzled, confused and dumb. Don't get any of this. Can someone tell what dafuq is it gonna be then? 3D or 2D?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have an odd feeling that the ending pledge upping spree I was hoping for/expecting will not come. Maybe it's just my mood.
Well, here's to hoping I'm wrong. Godspeed you crazy fools... I hope your games make us proud.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the Kick update:

"The big debate: playing games in 2D vs. 3D – I know many of you are interested about our decisions regarding the art direction. There has been much talk about the costs associated with "2D development," the quality and scope that can be produced by a small team, and the impact that this might have (for funding) of other departments. And trust you me, I understand from where these expectation emerge. But to be clear, what we are really talking about here is not a 2D game, but what you might call a 2.5D game, with just a portion of art production that is 2D in nature. Bear in mind, any extra time we spend noodling in 2D will be made up 10-fold when we get to our beta build and we are not ripping our eyes out trying to figure out how to get all that geometry to render efficiently on screen. Our early tests are showing very promising frame rates for our 2D assets, freeing up additional processing power for characters, FX, lighting, post-processes, etc."

Uh, that makes me dazzled, confused and dumb. Don't get any of this. Can someone tell what dafuq is it gonna be then? 3D or 2D?

The 2D graphics in the game originate from pre-rendered 3D models. Unlike, say, adventure games from the early 90s where the backgrounds were actually drawn entirely on paper by artists and scanned into the game. That's what "pure 2D" is.

Dermi

Novice
From the Kick update:

It's quite simple, I'd say. You get 2D backgrounds with 3D characters and props placed on them + some tricky way of using real time lightning, hence 2.5D. not exactly 2D (backgrounds and sprite characters), but also not entirely 3D (because of prerendered backgrounds). So, 2.5D means, more or less, a mix between two.

EDIT:
Now, come to think of it, Infinitrom may be more on the right track, when it comes to this 2.5D. Oh well... ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom