Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

FeelTheRads

Arcane
LOL, Torment's site is currently broken, and you can't access https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/user/private :lol: Users can't log in to see their fucking keys!

Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used twice in /var/www/torment.inxile-entertainment.com/include/lib/dispatchers/page.class.php on line 150

Actually, if you go directly to https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/user/private/rewards this section will open though with messed up styles, and you can log in.

Ctrl+F5

They've changed the site, it's conflicting with your cache.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
LOL, Torment's site is currently broken, and you can't access https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/user/private :lol: Users can't log in to see their fucking keys!

Warning: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used twice in /var/www/torment.inxile-entertainment.com/include/lib/dispatchers/page.class.php on line 150

Actually, if you go directly to https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/user/private/rewards this section will open though with messed up styles, and you can log in.

Ctrl+F5

I've got a Planescape: Torment retrospective PDF in my rewards now.

A compilation of stories, design insights and experiences from key members of the Planescape: Torment development team. Features the following contributors:
  • Chris Avellone – Lead Designer
  • Colin McComb – Designer
  • Feargus Urquhart – President
  • Scott Warner – Designer
  • Tim Donley – Lead Artist & Art Director
  • Aaron Meyers – Artist
  • Eric Campanella – Artist
  • Brian Menze – Artist
  • Dan Spitzley – Lead Programmer
  • Scott Everts – Technical Designer
  • Adam Heine – Scripter
  • Dennis Presnell – QA

Also these:

Last edited:

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh, important question.

Bleed the Man Would you call The Bloom a "major city" or major hub?

Isn't a city a major hub? It has 4 proper districts with one that's a sort of Tormenty "small dungeon", and the Gullet, which is another dungeon, and other small story locations that aren't the city proper.

It's smaller than Sagus but not by a lot. It has 8 or 10 hours of content, I believe.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Found the Codex NPC/Quest. It's a nice little serve to us, and it's smack bang in the middle of the path, I reckon 90% of you will find it without help, and when you play through it you'll *know* you found it, reload read the dialogue from the start and get the jokes they made before the penny dropped.

Last edited:
Weasel
It has 4 proper districts with one that's a sort of Tormenty "small dungeon", and the Gullet, which is another dungeon, and other small story locations that aren't the city proper.

It's smaller than Sagus but not by a lot. It has 8 or 10 hours of content, I believe.

That's about what I was hoping for when they had the post-KS Bloom funding goal aimed at Ziets fanboys (confession: I'm a bit of a Ziets fanboy) to "see more of the Bloom in-game". Didn't expect it to come at the expense of one of the more memorable stretch goals, though, obviously.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Ctrl+F5

Thanks, I already got my key and I'm going through the tutorial area.

Moth

Learned
So, that massive day one patch was console only, right? I have nothing to wait for if I had it preloaded from the beta, correct?

Just trying to avoid screwing myself over here. Unlike that time I backed it

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, that massive day one patch was console only, right? I have nothing to wait for if I had it preloaded from the beta, correct?

Not sure what you mean. There was a 1.5GB update to the Early Access beta this morning. That's the full release.

Arthandas

Prophet
:negative:
2014_07_17_00003.jpg

Moth

Learned

Not sure what you mean. There was a 1.5GB update to the Early Access beta this morning. That's the full release.

Ah, alright, thanks. There must have been a minor fix since then, because my download for the game was an hour and a half after launch, and only four
megs.

I was also confused because some faggot told me that the 8 gig PS4 patch was for all launches.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
despite having reviewed it

Is this post your review?

No, my review is in spanish, and I'm not going to translate it. I gave it an 8.3. As I said, enjoyed it a lot, but kinda diminishing enthusiam since I finished. I was considering higher ratings for much of my playthrough, but every time of self reflection made me doubt that I wanted to rated it that high. (I don't give much credit to scores though, I just try to not break what I think is the scale of the magazine to avoid confusion) This is just my raw opinion on the game without much of a filter. As I said, don't really know what to make of it, I enjoyed it a lot, I was also dissapointed, kinda a lot as well.
Did you like it more than Pillars or less?
I liked it less, but I fucking love Pillars so I don't think my opinion on the matter will be of much use to most.
You're right. It won't matter.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Ragequit.gr 6/10 (this one looks like it was written by a Codexer)

+ ΘΕΤΙΚΑ
  • Very rich world and setting, ripe for use in other games, preferrably not with "Torment" in their title or similar pretenders' claims.
  • A few, tragically too few moments in the Bloom, speak of the game that may have been, back in 2013.
- ΑΡΝΗΤΙΚΑ
  • This is not Torment by any stretch of the imagination. Just comparing itself to the 1999 masterpiece, is anathema.
  • Extremely poor audio-visual presentation, even by indie game standards. For a 4.5 million dollar Kickstarter, this is a disgrace.
  • In spite of its rich world and lore, it utterly fails to create an emotional connection with the player or make us care about anything going on in the Last Castoff's story.
  • RPG mechanisms, character development, inventory acquisition and management are at amateur levels.
  • Meres and their sad, sad implementation. It would have been preferable to save some face and not include them at all.
  • The bitter aftertaste in players' mouths, that this was merely a tech demo for selling the Numenera world to prospective publishers for future projects. There is no game here.
  • The silently cut stretch goals of the Kickstarter campaign. In light of the project's extremely poor quality, the argument of "We wanted to focus on polish" seems even weaker. High tier backers should be furious.

:bravo:

biggestboss

Liturgist
Does anyone else think that the game would have been better without any voice acting? I just finished the first crisis and there have been about ten lines of spoken companion dialogue, and ten of them were terrible.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
No, my review is in spanish, and I'm not going to translate it. I gave it an 8.3. As I said, enjoyed it a lot, but kinda diminishing enthusiam since I finished. I was considering higher ratings for much of my playthrough, but every time of self reflection made me doubt that I wanted to rated it that high. (I don't give much credit to scores though, I just try to not break what I think is the scale of the magazine to avoid confusion) This is just my raw opinion on the game without much of a filter. As I said, don't really know what to make of it, I enjoyed it a lot, I was also dissapointed, kinda a lot as well.

meri or hc?

The meri one is a good review, mostly spot on.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

Herein lies Tides' problem - hunting around the map, clearing inane sidequests in search of various pieces of information starts to feel less like a game and more like a chore.

Perhaps it's due to the inconsistent writing, which jumps between out-of-place informalities and overly scientific vocabulary, even within dialogue; perhaps it's due to the sluggish way the game runs on a console as powerful as the PS4, with framerate drops on a near-constant basis and unforgivably long loading screens; perhaps it's the way that the combat system feels half-baked and impregnable - either way, Torment: Tides of Numenera is slow to the point of irritation, and it's often genuinely difficult to play.

It's not helped by the visuals, which leave a lot to be desired. The settings and backgrounds themselves are lovely, with crisp, well-drawn areas to traipse around, but the characters are barely visible, creating a pretty huge disconnect between the player and the story playing out on screen. There's also a bizarre dearth of visual set pieces - that the Castoff's visions of their previous lives play out solely in text boxes, rather than being facilitated by any real action, is a particularly baffling decision.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

meri or hc?

The meri one is a good review, mostly spot on.

Meristation.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
He seems pretty angry for someone who gave the game 6/10.

That's not how these things work in gaming reviews:

10/10 means "Buy and have fun"

8/10 means "Mediocre and serviceable"

6/10 "Horrible game. I can't give a 0 because publishers"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom