Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Torment: Tides of Numenera Website Launched, InXile Asks for Feedback on Pledge Rewards

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Lots of pathetic Fargo apologist ITT.

And maybe also some angry but naive basement dwellers that fail to grasp a simple truth : a producer's responsibility is to be pragmatic and find money, not to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
As a matter of fact, I do think ToN may deliver to some extent : after all Fargo's been rounding up some writers to do the shit right and seems to be genuinely preoccupied by the oldfag's way of life. But there is a clear distinction between the motivation to do "something new" for the sake of it - in the case of the original Torment - and picking up a hype to associate himself to a title he didn't work on. It is a choice made out of pure opportunism and not by any kind of affection to the genre (metaphysical wanking with a touch of teenager pathos, all intertwined with long-ass impressionist descriptions), thing he could have demonstrated in the past but didn't. My beef (and since it is a purely idealistic one, you're free to raise brows, scoff and troll) is that the basic motivation behind it is the same that bigass publisher's : to re-use existing IP because it sells.

So yes, Torment has become a buzzword and since it pisses me off so much I'm writing - not one but TWO - posts about it, I'm probably in the middle of some kind of hipster crisis.

Infinitron
Like marketing did great for PS:T ?
I'm ready to admit some games need marketing - now - but in what measure exactly is this kind of marketing needed ? How the hell did we choose which game to buy when the only thing we had at the time was some paper magazine reviews ? And what the hell is happening with those fucking indie games ? And why the fuck am I picking this marketing matter up when my initial remark was about opportunism ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PS:T had shit marketing and sold poorly.

It is a choice made out of pure opportunism and not by any kind of affection to the genre (metaphysical wanking with a touch of teenager pathos, all intertwined with long-ass impressionist descriptions), thing he could have demonstrated in the past but didn't.
Even if that's true, who cares? Like you said, he's not making the game, he just assembled the team and is letting them do their thing.

I'm also not sure if the motivations behind the original Torment were really that altruistic, as far as Interplay management was concerned.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Lots of pathetic Fargo apologist ITT.

This. He does nothing ese than say, Todd Howard. Yet, for sone reason the latter gets ridiculed for narketing speech, while for Fargo it seems to be ok. Codex hipocrisy at its finest. :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For fuck's sake Solar, GET OVER THE 3D THING ALREADY

You'd be sucking Fargo's cock more vigorously than anybody else on this forum if he just gave you those sweet 2D backdrops you crave.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Even if that's true, who cares? Like you said, he's not making the game, he just assembled the team and is letting them do their thing.

A producer with a consistent designer's background letting his team do the work without having anything to say ? Maybe there is something I'm missing.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
A producer with a consistent designer's background letting his team do the work without having anything to say ? Maybe there is something I'm missing.
Brother None can tell you more.

Hmmmm? Not much to add. Fargo has an extensive background as a designer but has done producer-level work for a few decades now. His style is to gather the most talented team he can, keep a fairly close eye on the process early on to ensure everything is heading in the right direction, and then slowly go more hands-off as the process continues. Initially he was going to do more design work on Wasteland 2, but the guys he gathered were doing such good work he had less to contribute, and by now is pretty hands-off on the process.

Fargo is the public face of the company but that doesn't mean he tries to do everything. For Torment, important names to know are probably Kevin Saunders, the project director (previous credits include Shattered Galaxy and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer) and Colin McComb, the creative director (previous credits include Planescape PnP, Planescape: Torment and, uh, the Complete Book of Elves).

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Thanks for taking the time to write it down when you had no obligation to. Good to know.

As I said, the game may be good and I'll be glad to buy it if it delivers but in the meantime, I'll still have my doubts and objections about how and why it is done.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Guys, you know what I really hate? When someone promises to make cRPGs in the manor I like and then asks the community for ideas about it.

ksaun

Arcane
Developer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
$0. We cannot risk healing our creative lead's tormented soul. We might end up with Rainbow Brite RPG or something. (Though I think Fargo picked up that IP, too... hmm...)

Hi Kevin. Looks like you've been flying undercover.

Lancehead

Liturgist
ims4H4oFIUUrC.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom