Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Shogun 2

So will you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I will wait for reviews

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Quilty said:
I just played the scripted battle, realized that the AI is so scripted that most of the time it doesn't even respond to my actions, replayed it a couple of times, uninstalled. That cavalry charge at the beginning was heading straight for my archers. I replaced them with pikemen (or whatever they're called), and the cavalry units got decimated. Wat.

Shit just looks like reskinned Empire, not worth even trying out. The actual fights between units are again laughable. Five units slide endlessly around an enemy unit, then when that unit is perfectly positioned one of the units performs the fighting animation and resumes sliding around. Also, there's this annoying effect of ground shaking when a cavalry charges another unit. It's ridiculous, my entire screen was wobbling in all directions as if Godzilla was approaching. The damn thing persisted even after the charge ended and the fighting commenced: the entire screen just kept shaking and shaking.

Their historical battles have always have scripted AI.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Konjad said:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=428223

:salute:

Thanks for the link, Konjad. Awesome little mod which basically unlocks the campaign game albeit without tactical battles. Modder is now working on trying to put battles in. He constantly finds new stuff like different AI types and the like.

Played around with it for a bit and came away impressed with both the demo and the unlocked game with this mod. Art style is great, as is music and general atmosphere. AI in battles is still a big unknown but the campagin AI seems a lot more aggressive and determined than the latest CA offerings. With the mod the unlocked campaign game really reminds me a lot of the earlier shogun. Which is a good thing.

Will see if the honeymoon lasts before pre-ordering though.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthre ... 23&page=24

That same modder unlocked the tutorial battles and despite CA claiming the demo has no tactical AI people are now playing these against what appears to be a fully functioning computer opponent. It might not be a full AI, though chances are that it is, and results are mixed but generally positive. On normal AI can act moronic and some wierd behaviour in the siege. AI however also uses flank attacks, two pronged attacks and is also very aggressive on the offense.

Still, the jury is out wether this is a fully functioning AI. Modder is not certain about it himself.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Been playing the unlocked battles that the modders provided. Difficult to really get an idea of the BAI as it is in these two. One battle is a very streamlined siege affair and the other is a bit of a mess due to all sorts of factions being involved and scripting errors. Saw some issues crop up but also saw some pretty nice things. Think I can only make a real assesment of the BAI when I play the full game.

And yes, after all the shit CA pulled in the past I have just pre-ordered this one. Why? Art, music, atmosphere and campaign gameplay remind me a shitload of the first Shogun. What they 'streamlined' in character development is actually a pretty fun and interesting way of developing your characters. Campaign AI so far is pretty mean and totally capable of kicking my butt on the higher settings. In fact, it is doing stuff I have not see it do in any TW game before. A functioning AI is pretty unprecedented in this series so far so kudos to them for that. Game also runs flawlessly on my aging system with computer turns taking seconds instead of the minutes I got in Empire. I'm impressed with the modded demo so far and actually had fun with it.

Will see how it goes when I get the limited edition of the full game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Have you thought about. The AI in demo might be made by a different person than in the official release? You know. The official AI isn't done yet, so you prepare the demo and make a some simple AI.

Also, that demo was modified... The AI in unlocked demo could be massively better than the AI in release. Don't expect much, remember in these errors in the scripting.

FatCat

Educated
I told you faggots that game will be good , but nioooooooo.Pure hate must continue.Campaign is actually harder and more complex than previous games because of working naval invasions , food shortages , reasonable diplomatic AI. :P Mulitplayer is osumly improved and if it will get toolset eventually it even might be one of the best TW games.

As much of a bro you are Trash, and as much as I trust you when it comes to strategy games... I'm still hesitant. I'll wait a few weeks after release for you all to get all ragey and angry.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Can't really have an informed opinion untill I've played the full retail version and am frankly fully prepared to be disappointed. Like I said, the whole atmosphere is fun and I do like some of the apparant mechanics that are in there. AI seems to have been improved but really, the modded demo is far too limited to say anything with certainty.

It did however inspire me to install the original shogun (which runs surprisingly well on software mode and with windows 95 compatibility on) and am once again astounded how the Battle AI of that game simply kicks the shit out of anything CA has ever done since.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Trash is prone to novelty bias if I recall correctly, I take him with a grain of salt until a month after release(at which point he becomes rather credible as a source).

Eh, I was pretty much like that when Empire first came out. Of course, I thought it was going to be a solid base for mods to build from... little did I know that CA would never release the toolset. The thing is, the way the games are designed... turn based strategy with real time tactics, is a really great design, so with every new CA game you just get filled with anticipation of what is possible.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Well that's exactly what I'm talking about, all of us thought that Empire was okay but just a little unpolished when it came out. A month later and we were all bawwwing.

I'm just trying to be a learning animal about it, and will more or less ignore my own positive impression from the demo and the positive impressions of others until it's been long enough to know that it isn't just the 'oh wow shiny new shit' effect.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Campaign seemed pretty solid, from what I could tell playing the demo. Armies field of vision was sufficient to be able to tell what's going on without having to spam agents, movement allowance was enough to be able to pull off some decent strategic plays (in less that 5 turns), and the tech tree seemed nicely focused on what it should be in a total war game (hint: war).

Still will probably give it a little while, post release, before picking it up. The demo doesn't give any indication of the quality of the battle AI (which, given the amount of column inches dedicated to it in the previews and hype, is a little suspicious), and also with CA's ability to shit all over their own title when they push it out of the door, means a day-one purchase is still a terrible idea.

All round though, I liked the look of the demo.

and am once again astounded how the Battle AI of that game simply kicks the shit out of anything CA has ever done since.
Of all the AIs, I thought the first Medieval was probably the least worst. Shogun's had the tendancy to break treaties and invade you with far weaker forces, then retreat them once the battle started (repeat for 4 or 5 turns).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Dirk Diggler said:
Trash is prone to novelty bias if I recall correctly, I take him with a grain of salt until a month after release(at which point he becomes rather credible as a source).

True dat. :oops:

The basic concept of the TW games is rock solid though. In the end it boils down to atmosphere, AI, map design and the implementation of game mechanics to see if the game will be good. Not to mention the state of the game at release. Most of these are things that only become apparant from prolonged play. With CA's trackrecord I am highly sceptical even though the (modded) demo was good enough to pique my interest. Will see.

Bluebottle said:
and am once again astounded how the Battle AI of that game simply kicks the shit out of anything CA has ever done since.
Of all the AIs, I thought the first Medieval was probably the least worst. Shogun's had the tendancy to break treaties and invade you with far weaker forces, then retreat them once the battle started (repeat for 4 or 5 turns).

Campaign AI has always been shit, with indeed MTW being the least worst of the series. The Battle AI of Shogun (the one it uses during actual battles) is awesome though. Especially on defense it puts up a much stronger fight than any other TW game offers.

kris

Arcane
Trash said:
And yes, after all the shit CA pulled in the past I have just pre-ordered this one. Why?

Rate: Battered housewife

FatCat said:
It's their 3rd game on warscape engine , Empire was 1st so hopefully things will be different this time around.

Rate: Plant

Wait for the patches before buying. Always. Chances are they won't fix the problems, and then they will stop patching/include patch only in the expansion (which possibly won't fix the original game anyway).

This is how I have dodged a few nasties from CA now.

I still remember when we had to create a huge boycott thread over Medieval 1's expansion until they had patched the original Medieval that had the 'King dies at 56' bug. It worked, but I had enough of the company after that. Buy on the first day? :salute: More like buy on the second year....depending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom