Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Max Damage

Savant
klhjTe1.png
Every TW AI diplomacy is carefully designed to try and get you into more trouble. He's also asking me to pay him on top of that, the audacity of this fucker...

Tomb Kings are actually the one true good ally in the game since they reverse the "you're too powerful" penalties into bonus relations. They also have like 1/10th the economy of a normal race so if you feed them decent amounts of money they can benefit immensely and really cover your back/profit on trade/give you trade goods if you're like dwarfs and need them.

Max Damage

Savant
1nDzErx.png
Love how autoresolve would give me defeat even though I have loaded hero and army vs 1,5 shitstack and walls.

In terms of special mechanics, faction balancing, or start position? High Elven characters outside their island tend to have pretty bad starts. Tyrion and especially Alarielle are very easy though.

Bretonnia and Grand Cathay are the two factions that I'd say are both very powerful, easy to use, and have very simple starts. Being an order faction also tends to mean less surprise gangbangs since chaos happily declares on chaos but good diplo usually keeps most order factions fairly peaceful with each other.

If you want something a bit harder but still comfortably powerful and not too complex to play then try Dark Elves, Skaven, Dwarfs or Greenskins.

Last edited:

kris

Arcane
Which faction is the best for starters other than high elves?
Iron dragon / Cathay is a pretty straightforward and easy start.
Malekith and Lokhir / DE same.
First one is TW3 faction I presume, I don't have TW3 yet.
I missed it was the thread for 2.

Thorgrim in that case. Just build the walls everywhere and you will be hard to beat.
Karl Franz is also more straightforward in TW2 than TW3.

Last edited:

Üstad

Arcane
Graphics and camera are so terrible both in battle and campaign map. I remember literally memorizing how every unit looks like and what their animation are in Medieval Total War 2. Due to terrible graphics and effects I can't even see the arrows and projectiles without laser trail effects which looks horrible. I appreciate the better texture and whatnot,the effects and lighting are complete SHIT.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Graphics and camera are so terrible both in battle and campaign map. I remember literally memorizing how every unit looks like and what their animation are in Medieval Total War 2. Due to terrible graphics and effects I can't even see the arrows and projectiles without laser trail effects which looks horrible. I appreciate the better texture and whatnot,the effects and lighting are complete SHIT.

iirc there are mods for those complaints

Üstad

Arcane
Is there a fix for garrisons or we're doomed to play whack a mole with patrolling armies? Settlements should have upkeep limit for garrisons we should garrison it with whatever we want and on top of that we whould able to recruit paid garrisons. Total war games using this system because the AI is too retarded with armies, which is the reason behind armies locked with their lords not being able to split away. But by locking garrison troops in cities we wouldn't run into this problem and AI would continue to run with 20 stacks as the game intended.

I browsed reddit(my mistake I know) about this appereantly Ogre Kingdoms in Warhammer 3 have similar system but oh boy people were freaking out by the proposal they're being able to control the garrison, the horrority.. Honestly I don't blame the company anymore when you have such a retarded fanbase such crappy mechanics doomed to occur.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there a fix for garrisons or we're doomed to play whack a mole with patrolling armies? Settlements should have upkeep limit for garrisons we should garrison it with whatever we want and on top of that we whould able to recruit paid garrisons. Total war games using this system because the AI is too retarded with armies, which is the reason behind armies locked with their lords not being able to split away. But by locking garrison troops in cities we wouldn't run into this problem and AI would continue to run with 20 stacks as the game intended.

I browsed reddit(my mistake I know) about this appereantly Ogre Kingdoms in Warhammer 3 have similar system but oh boy people were freaking out by the proposal they're being able to control the garrison, the horrority.. Honestly I don't blame the company anymore when you have such a retarded fanbase such crappy mechanics doomed to occur.

Make a smaller army as a bait and park your main army near it in ambush stance, this will help again playing whack a mole a bit.

Make a smaller army as a bait and park your main army near it in ambush stance, this will help again playing whack a mole a bit.

This works insanely well. AI absolutely cannot handle it. In WH2 its balanced out by the fact that it will increase your supply lines a lot if you have to rely on it for more than 1 or 2 armies but in WH3 its busted strong since supply lines are so weak. Also helps level new lords, either as a temporary caster for your first army (since you can usually get a caster lord very early while caster heroes can take time), or just for when you want a 2nd army with red and blue lines filled.

An alternate twist is to build walls and have a lone lord camp outside it on ambush stance. Lots of times enemies will have a stack capable of sieging a city (and fighting manually is suicide with those random shit units), but turning it into an ambush stance battle can tilt autoresolve towards you in a massive way.

Üstad

Arcane
Bound spells are supposed to have limited uses right? Teclis has a spell with 2 use limit, but whenever I use the spell the number does not decrease. Is it bugged? If yes, what's the solution?

how the hell do you play vampires? sooner or later (sometimes *instantly*) you're going to be gangbanged either by the dwarves who can do nothing but steamroll orcs and coalize in the east, or the empire, who can do nothing but steamroll *you* and coalize in the west. sometimes one of them attacks, soon another, and another, and another. sometimes it's just one who allied with all the others and that's just game over. while you're still struggling to pacify your first two provinces.
unfunny trivia: playing as an italian is a truly miserable experience because fucking retarded illiterate anglos adopted "region" to mean "province" and "province" to mean "region". every time, my brain has to stop and make the math backwards. a wall? hadrian should had took off and nuked the entire site from orbit.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
how the hell do you play vampires? sooner or later (sometimes *instantly*) you're going to be gangbanged either by the dwarves who can do nothing but steamroll orcs and coalize in the east, or the empire, who can do nothing but steamroll *you* and coalize in the west. sometimes one of them attacks, soon another, and another, and another. sometimes it's just one who allied with all the others and that's just game over. while you're still struggling to pacify your first two provinces.
unfunny trivia: playing as an italian is a truly miserable experience because fucking retarded illiterate anglos adopted "region" to mean "province" and "province" to mean "region". every time, my brain has to stop and make the math backwards. a wall? hadrian should had took off and nuked the entire site from orbit.
dunno how it is without Mixer, but with Mixer I just bribe the humies bordering my province and focus on the Dorf as they are more likely to attack you and diplomacy is kinda useless with them

and with Mixer as everyone in Empire are major factions, it is less likely that they are going to steamrolled by Karl and their civil war is usually kinda longer unless AI Franz managed to score lot of Federation

In WH2 you abuse free skeletons in a ball, the degen/regen aura chariots, and overpowered spellcasting. You don't make other units, wherever you want to go you bring multiple armies armies that are 1 lord, 1 or 2 heroes (incl the necromancer on his regen chariot), the degen chariot, rest skeletons.

Unfortunately WH2 punishes melee super hard unless you have god-tier units, and Counts neither get them nor the economy to support them if they did. Their units are sort of balanced for MP with the assumption of smaller army sizes where their healing spam is much more powerful but that doesn't work in campaign.

well, i play sfo so it should be a bit more balanced environment. yet no amount of skelespheres can whitstand 6-8 factions attacking all at once from all the sides by the first 30 turns. and hell, i even modded out anti-player bias. i tried at least twice with each different leader, for as much as i can curbstomp the empire, sooner or later it supercoalizes and becomes unstoppable. same for the midgets.
only vampire cunts and orcs i need to win the game at least once with.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I didn't have many issues when playing Vlad. Admittedly, turn 30 or thereabouts was probably the hardest, with Karl-Franz coming after me with his starting army because I dared poke at Stirland. But I preservered, and then got my first big battle site in the Moot. That allowed me to raise some very powerful units (SFO prevents that, I think, by giving you a unit cap similar to the Tomb Kings one?), tho I went overboard and got into hefty negative income. So I started to sack rather than occupy settlements just to stay afloat. After a couple of turns like that, I managed to stabilise my economy and started proper conquests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom