Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

rvzhX.png

Does XenForo have an addon that can take a Kotaku link in a post and replace it with a screenshot of the content? I think we need to automate this shit because people just don't learn.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-09-editors-blog-new-editorial-policies

For the last few years we've maintained a public "How We Work" document that makes it clear to anyone who uses the site what policies we have in place to govern our actions.​
Following recent events, we've decided to update these policies. Some of the additions were already informal guidelines and some are based on internal discussions in recent weeks.​
While these discussions were going on we chose not to attend a Call of Duty review event pending a final decision on how we would approach such things in future. As a result, our review of the game will probably be a couple of days late next week.​
You can read the whole updated "How We Work" document if you like, or alternatively here are the key additions:​
  • We do not attend "VIP" review events at hotels or abroad.
  • If it is ever necessary to review games at a company's offices then we will cover travel and accommodation costs ourselves and disclose the conditions under which the game was reviewed.
  • If we accept travel or accommodation from a company then we disclose it.
  • We will only accept games, items for reviews and things that enable us to do our job (i.e. consoles, peripherals).
  • Games and other items received through work may not be sold or traded. If they are no longer useful for work then they will be given to the GamesAID charity.
  • Staff and contributors are not permitted to do "mock reviews" for or provide consultancy to games publishers.
  • Staff and contributors may not write about a company they have worked for in any capacity within the last two years.
:salute:

Gerrard

Arcane
Eurogamer
Oblivion 10/10
Bioshock 10/10
GTA4 10/10
Fable 2 10/10
Fallout 3 10/10
Mass Effect 2 10/10

So I guess they are just genuinely terrible and not corrupt. Good to know.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I thought you were full of shit, but then I checked your facts. However they only have Mass Effect a 8/10. And Halo 4 only got a 8/10. heh

deuxhero

Arcane
Don't forget Eurogamer is the one that admited Skyrim is actually a piece of shit and had a number of flaws they forgot to mention in their reviews a mere month or so after it came out.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Don't forget Eurogamer is the one that admited Skyrim is actually a piece of shit and had a number of flaws they forgot to mention in their reviews a mere month or so after it came out.
Don't all the reviewers do the same? AAA+ game is released, 10/10 GOTY. Then it's sequel is announced, and all the previews start to praise how it will fix all the horrible issues and gamebreakng stuff on the original...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron

Yep. Basically business as usual. At game release, IF you have a positive score you don't get a Blacklist and publish your review and the Publisher is all happy and sends you Doritos and Mountain Dew, but AFTER you can then summarize all it's shortcomings (which should have been done IN THE FUCKING REVIEW). And yes, Eurogamer still is in the good old boys "business as usual" club, even with their statements. Which is just trying to build creds on this "scandal".

deuxhero

Arcane
Don't all the reviewers do the same? AAA+ game is released, 10/10 GOTY. Then it's sequel is announced, and all the previews start to praise how it will fix all the horrible issues and gamebreakng stuff on the original...

Yeah, but this didn't even take a few months.

thesoup

Arcane
It's not only that, but people tend to get overhyped and become just blind to the flaws. Happens to everyone. They also have to play as much as possible in a short period of time and get that exclusive review as fast as possible to get dem ad revenue moneyz. I usually think less of a game on my second playthrough or after some time after I've played it. I know lots of people who said Skyrim is the best thing since sliced bread, but after a week or so they said it was "meh" because the hype dropped and they got bored of it. Same with Oblivion. Everyone played that game in 2006, but the general opinion wherever I go is that it's shit.
I genuinely believe lots of "reviewers" are honest and love doing what they do, it's just that they're incompetent and incapable of critical thinking.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Everyone played that game in 2006, but the general opinion wherever I go is that it's shit.
I genuinely believe lots of "reviewers" are honest and love doing what they do, it's just that they're incompetent and incapable of critical thinking.
That reminds me of a friend I have who's literally in denial about not liking Diablo 3. Ranted and raved at me for the first week or two about how amazing it was, then suddenly got really silent about it and insisted he stopped playing it because one of our friends powerleveling ahead of him ruined the experience for everyone.
But yeah, I agree that waiting for a week or so after playing a game or watching a movie just to let the initial hype leak out of you before giving an honest critique of it is always a good idea.

xilo3z

Educated
http://www.gamespot.com/news/natural-selection-2-review-pulled-6399748

Gamespot pulled down their review for Natural Selection 2 for being an absolute abortion and people flinging shit at them for being retards.

Yeah can someone explain this? I read the "bad" review (I know nothing of the game) via good ol google cache, and looked in the comments to see what inaccuracies and wrongs the guy did but the only one people were bitching about was that he listed the games price at $30 instead of $25... That is it. The rest of the comments were bitching that his review was hurting the metacritic rating (O NO!) and how he is going to run the developers out of business with that review because they are a small indie team (O NO!!!!). Oh and that he called the artwork "cool" but yet commentators were all saying "dude that art is AMAZING you dumbass! Review has inaccuracies! Art is not cool its AMAZING!"........ It was like thousands of comments all stating these same 3 views over and over again and just attacking the guy for his taste in games.

Did Gspot really just pull the review because people weren't happy with the score or was there actually shit really wrong with the review (again like I said, never heard of the game before)?

Brinko

Arcane
http://www.gamespot.com/news/natural-selection-2-review-pulled-6399748

Gamespot pulled down their review for Natural Selection 2 for being an absolute abortion and people flinging shit at them for being retards.

Yeah can someone explain this? I read the "bad" review (I know nothing of the game) via good ol google cache, and looked in the comments to see what inaccuracies and wrongs the guy did but the only one people were bitching about was that he listed the games price at $30 instead of $25... That is it. The rest of the comments were bitching that his review was hurting the metacritic rating (O NO!) and how he is going to run the developers out of business with that review because they are a small indie team (O NO!!!!). Oh and that he called the artwork "cool" but yet commentators were all saying "dude that art is AMAZING you dumbass! Review has inaccuracies! Art is not cool its AMAZING!"........ It was like thousands of comments all stating these same 3 views over and over again and just attacking the guy for his taste in games.

Did Gspot really just pull the review because people weren't happy with the score or was there actually shit really wrong with the review (again like I said, never heard of the game before)?
Here's a comment I found where I got the link to the article laying out some problem with the review:
"I feel it's not as much as being inaccurate, as the fact that he didn't actually review the game - He spends all his words on ranting about lack of tutorial and the possibility of teams being unbalanced (numbers or skill wise) and doesn't talk AT ALL about how the actual game plays.
He does not mention the variety of alien classes, how the play, how the gunplay is, just for an example of crucial points of interest that NEED to be in a review, considering they are the major points of the game.
He spends far more time talking about the commander role which while important in the scope of the game, only 2 players out of 12/16/20/etc will experience it per game - It is far more relevant to talk about the FPS portion."

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not only that, but people tend to get overhyped and become just blind to the flaws. Happens to everyone. They also have to play as much as possible in a short period of time and get that exclusive review as fast as possible to get dem ad revenue moneyz. I usually think less of a game on my second playthrough or after some time after I've played it. I know lots of people who said Skyrim is the best thing since sliced bread, but after a week or so they said it was "meh" because the hype dropped and they got bored of it. Same with Oblivion. Everyone played that game in 2006, but the general opinion wherever I go is that it's shit.

:bro:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you love your work but do it so badly that you are actually destroying the medium in which you have chosen to work the next logical step is to quit, not deflect and rationalize.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hey Marcus, why exactly are you so qualified to talk about integrity in games journalism? Aren't you the guy who used his connections to network into game development on Blacklight: Tango Down after working with GameTrailers, then maintained a journalistic position while the game was in development and constantly tried to promote it every chance you got? And then it came out, fucking sucked and was on sale for $1 like 2 months later?

Ever heard of "conflict of interest"?
I wonder if he'll give me a reply.

grotsnik

Arcane
So this is/was apparently from the LinkedIn of Julien Chevron, who reviewed Call of Duty Black Ops 2 today for the French division of Eurogamer. He gave it 9/10, and called it 'the best in the series'.

PR Manager - Activision
August 2004 – Present (8 years 4 months)

Achievements :
- The 2 most imposing and important PR campaigns by Activision-Blizzard France for Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2 and Call of Duty : Black Ops, the 2 biggest launches in the history of entertainment in France and the world.

Infuckingcredible. But remember, you armchair conspiracy theorists, you need to have a little trust in games journalists. They conduct themselves just fine, even if we don't always see it. THERE ARE NO CONFLICTS OF INTEREST.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom