Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Whores gonna whore. :declining:

These idiots in the gaming press should keep their yaps shut instead of revealing their inner douchebag. Perhaps it is just in the nature of a drooling PR whore to insult anyone who doesn't agree with whatever they are selling.

I put them on the same level as used car salesmen.

Repressed Homosexual
He's right that the gaming industry is embarrassing because it's full of over excited young males who try to create drama and nitpick stuff to fuel their sense of superiority over and over again. In other fields of trivial journalism, people actually have lives and consider corruption a fact of life, and move on.

I wouldn't touch the industry with a ten foot pole.

Multi-headed Cow

Has videogame journalism collapsed yet? Haven't been keeping up with the thread.

Emily

Arcane
Has videogame journalism collapsed yet? Haven't been keeping up with the thread.
it will only die when people stop giving a fuck about ign,gamespot etc scores. And by people i mean young retard children and their mothers who need authority approval to enjoy a game. So yeah it isnt coming in near future.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Didn't an Activision PR rep do a review of Black Ops 2 for Eurogamer? Guess they figured that there is no use hiring a middle-man because the games press are just unofficial PR interns anyway.

Edit found an article on it:
http://www.examiner.com/article/adventures-outside-of-journalistic-integrity-update-1
It's said that a picture is worth a thousand words—in the case of the following picture, all thousand words are four letters long and begin with an F:

Click here for picture

This requires a bit of backstory. See, that picture is the score that the Eurogamer.fr (the French-language Eurogamer) review of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 awards the Xbox 360 version with. Note the reviewer:

Click here for picture

The briefest of glances at Julien Chevron's LinkedIn page reveals a 7-year span of time during which he worked at Activision, the publisher of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. This only ended in November of 2011. Consider his position as reviewer of this particular game given this delicious slice of text from his LinkedIn profile:

Click here for picture

Translated through Google:

"Achievements:
- The two most important and impressive PR campaigns Activision-Blizzard France Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Call of Duty: Black Ops, the two biggest launch in the history of entertainment in France and in the world."

So basically, Julien Chevron was a PR manager for Activision who worked on two huge PR campaigns for Call of Duty games, including the first Black Ops. Remember, this is an individual who Eurogamer.fr apparently deemed fit to review Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. The review now has a small writeup from an editor explaining that they felt that 1 year away from Activision was sufficient to wash away any conflict of interest.

It isn't; rational human beings realize that seven years of doing PR for a company irreparably skews one's perceptions of that company (and by extension, its products), and it's disingenuous for Eurogamer.fr to state otherwise. Reviews are subjective, and those offering up their opinions of a game for the sake of gamers who are seeking unbiased information need to have no ties to that game so that their impressions are as close to the average gamer's as can be. Being responsible for the PR campaign for the original Black Ops is just about the most blatant link to Activision and Call of Duty—especially the Back Ops games—possible; the only thing that would constitute a worse conflict of interest would be if he had actually worked on Black Ops 2.

Look at the score again:

This picture is worth a thousand words, and all of them are profane. Thank you, Eurogamer.fr, for yet another shining example of journalistic integrity in game journalism.

Dexter

Arcane

This shit is even funnier, look at all the Edits and read some of the Comments xD
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/reviews-go-live-for-hitman-absolution/0106621

jwalker.png

Writers response: https://twitter.com/BenParfitt/status/270463103811067904

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This shit is even funnier, look at all the Edits and read some of the Comments xD
UPDATE 1: The internet masses seem to be up in arms that we dared to neglect to mention the reviews from the likes of Videogamer, GameSpot and PC Gamer which were more in line with Eurogamer. The truth is we hadn’t seen them. So feel free to hunt those down for a broader perspective.

UPDATE 2: OK. After lots of comments and people engaging with us on Twitter, it’s probably right to point out that other outlets have indeed scored the game along the same lines as Eurogamer or lower. These include PC Gamer (66%), Edge (7/10), Gamespy (7/10), Gamespot UK (7.5/10) and Gametrailers (6.9/10).

We should also add that other positive reviews have appeared on the Metacritic, too, including GamesRadar (4.5/5), Spong (8/10) and GamesMaster (9/10).

The game currently has the following Metacritic scores – PS3 (83%), Xbox 360 (79%) and PC (79%).

UPDATE 3: We have changed the headline from "Critics delighted with Agent 47's return in Hitman: Absolution" to "Reviews go live for Hitman: Absolution".

UPDATE 4: We have now added links to every review mentioned here.
HAHA OH WOW

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, does the new Hitman just suffer the misfortune of being releases at a wrong time, when most big gaming news outlets need to prove to their readers they are something more than PR rags or is it genuinely so shitty that not even lavish bribes can move the score over 80%?

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
So, does the new Hitman just suffer the misfortune of being releases in a wrong time, when most big gaming news outlets need to prove to their readers they are something more than PR rags or is it genuinely so shitty that not even lavish bribes can move the score over 80%?
i7DdjJmsWloQU.gif

Emily

Arcane
That's... certainly interesting. Can the gif be salvaged by putting it in context or is as dumb as it looks?
are you kidding me? Just look at it. How much dumber can you go in an "silent assassin game". He even takes off his mask

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, does the new Hitman just suffer the misfortune of being releases at a wrong time, when most big gaming news outlets need to prove to their readers they are something more than PR rags or is it genuinely so shitty that not even lavish bribes can move the score over 80%?
Both

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He's right that the gaming industry is embarrassing because it's full of over excited young males who try to create drama and nitpick stuff to fuel their sense of superiority over and over again. In other fields of trivial journalism, people actually have lives and consider corruption a fact of life, and move on.

I wouldn't touch the industry with a ten foot pole.

I hate random top 5/10s about older games that anyone can come up with where the douchebag clueless mainstream blogger makes annoying authoritative comments followed by "let's hope" a bunch of times.

I especially do because I was one of those in the past, and now I'm fucking embarassed of it.
So was that something you did as a hobby..?

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Paul Rooney ‏@SilentHitoshura
My goodness @MCVonline Hand over control of your twitter to grown up now! You are doing everything wrong!!! Stop!
@SilentHitoshura @MCVonline I am SO glad critics are ripping them apart. Bullshit like this needs to be reported everywhere.
Details
20h
2581_71356063474_656763474_2276706_3977535_n_normal.jpg
Michelle Buckeridge ‏@MichelleBuckers
@MCVonline Isn't Lauren entitled to employee confidentiality, even as probationer? You've just trashed her career to 9,500 followers.
Details
20h
image_normal.jpg
Matt Hill ‏@gethill
@MichelleBuckers @MCVonline It's been retweeted 57 times so I would imagine a fair few more than that, too
Details
19h
9c3884d1e00d99c0a82407108f5fdbae_normal.jpeg
Tane Piper ‏@tanepiper
@MCVonline wow, classy
Details
19h
Adam Gulliver ‏@AdamGS
Wonderful immaturity from @MCVonline. Firing someone publicly like that is a dick move.
Details
19h
9F09FDAD-67A2-4528-B271-59243164E375_normal
Mat Murray ‏@matmurray
@AdamGS @MCVonline Disgusting really.
delightful

evdk

Patron
Bah, she probably got a hefty sum for acting as a lightning rod and now can look forward to a cushy job at a PR firm, once the storm blows over.

grotsnik

Arcane
Fucking doritofag apparently also hates Method Man, fuck that loser !

In 'oh, shit, real people actually read the Codex' news, I've just noticed David Rayfield vocally expressing his dislike of DwarvenFood 's offhand portmanteau slur in this thread expressing his vocal dislike of David Rayfield's dislike of Method Man.

Including my tiny contributions. pic.twitter.com/vD05kTfg

I should probably add ‘Fucking Doritofag’ to my writing CV.

Having interesting thoughts about my future writing about games. Thanks to anyone who has appreciated anything I’ve written. You’re awesome.

Also, big shout out to Penny Arcade fans, GAF, mens rights groups and that dude who called me a ‘fucking doritofag’.

Truly, no other form of journalism, from music to sport to political to imbedded war reporting, has the kind of ravenous wolves going online to call journalists silly made-up insults for facetious reasons like this one.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
method_man.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom