Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Watch the Totalbiscut vid above Trash. It is very informative.

Normally can't stand him but it is informative, though also pretty much common knowledge. Nice to have it spelled out tho. What he forgets to mention however, and this came very much to the fore in the eurogamer article, is how gaming journalism as a whole has been so soaked and intertwined into the marketing and pr from those whose games it covers that it basically lacks the ability for self purification. Integrity as a standard simply cannot exist in an enviroment like this.

Well, he says it's gonna die. Same difference, no?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
But it's important to understand the inner workings of that situation.

Deleted member 7219

All print media is dying. I give it 20 years. In 20 years the generation which has no access to the internet (grandparents generation, if you're mid-twenties like me) will have died out. You'll still get people who prefer the written word when it comes to journalism, but not enough to keep newspapers and magazines afloat.

Also, I don't quite understand how gaming websites can be expected to keep afloat without donations. To many they probably think taking money from publishers is a necessary evil.

Renegen

Arcane

Normally can't stand him but it is informative, though also pretty much common knowledge. Nice to have it spelled out tho. What he forgets to mention however, and this came very much to the fore in the eurogamer article, is how gaming journalism as a whole has been so soaked and intertwined into the marketing and pr from those whose games it covers that it basically lacks the ability for self purification. Integrity as a standard simply cannot exist in an enviroment like this.

He's not really adding very much. He's admitting in the video he gets paid by Sony to promote Planetside 2. Then he goes on that he needs to be paid because the time spent doing that is lost for other revenue generating videos blah blah blah etc etc Basically he takes money to promote a game. If anything he's saying his kind is the future, and his kind have even lower standards.

Repressed Homosexual
She's proof appearances often deceive. She seems innocent and is quite cute, and yet did this false advertising.

Plus she has worked for Playboy and her Twitter name is atheist.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't think a vast majority of people really understand HOW involved Journalists are with publishers (of which he explains very clearly) and WHY not one single gaming website or youtube channel will ever give you an objective and un-biased piece of journalism, of which this piece clearly explains.

It's not bribes or intimidation (well there is that, IF you do not want to be blacklisted by Publishers like the Codex is) but the sheer fact they are too ingrained with Publishers, to provide the function of objective opinions. As well as there being NO standards of which any of these people are beholden too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

He's not really adding very much. He's admitting in the video he gets paid by Sony to promote Planetside 2. Then he goes on that he needs to be paid because the time spent doing that is lost for other revenue generating videos blah blah blah etc etc Basically he takes money to promote a game. If anything he's saying his kind is the future, and his kind have even lower standards.

Potentially even worse standards, yes, but at least they don't even pretend to be journalists.

I don't think a vast majority of people really understand HOW involved Journalists are with publishers (of which he explains very clearly) and WHY not one single gaming website or youtube channel will ever give you an objective and un-biased piece of journalism, of which this piece clearly explains.

It's not bribes or intimidation (well there is that, IF you do not want to be blacklisted by Publishers like the Codex is) but the sheer fact they are too ingrained with Publishers, to provide the function of objective opinions. As well as there being NO standards of which any of these people are beholden too.

Ahem. ;)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://botherer.org/2012/10/26/guest-post-robert-florence-on-the-last-few-days/

Walker's latest piece with original author Robert Florence (the guy who was fired) on his further experiences.

Because here’s the thing. This story – my column, Lauren’s reaction, Eurogamer’s edit, my stepping down, the whole aftermath – is not about writers. It’s about PR. It’s about these marketing people who have a stranglehold over most of the industry, and control the narrative of the whole scene. They’ve even controlled the narrative of this disaster.

Do you think Lauren acted entirely alone in pressuring Eurogamer to change my piece? Do you think she has that power? I don’t. Who do you think MIGHT have that power?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Awful, partly, because I’ve discovered that the games press is controlled by PR to a greater extent than I had ever dreamed – and I’m a pessimist.

I think this goes to show that the distinction between the two has become so vague that one might wonder if on average it exists at all.

You can contribute hugely to the scene without ever once speaking to a PR person.

Even with niche games lots of devs point you towards their pr firm if you ask them for interviews. If niche products with hardly any budget do that think about the big players.

Machocruz

Arcane
Even if they weren't corrupt, most of these "journalists" still wouldn't know what the hell they are talking about, which is as bad or worse. These people don't have the experience or insight to back up their opinions. I knew for sure something was awry when I read a review that called Oblivion "revolutionary." Yeah, maybe if you have only known JRPGs or shit like KOTOR. But if you've played the best Ultima games, or Fallout, or even Daggerfall, you would not make such a declaration. Because it's not true. You would see it brings nothing to the table at all, and everything it does was done better years ago. It's the same thing with all the other recent games they GOTY circle-jerk over.

Basicially what Alex Kierkegaard says: If you're not an expert on games or a genre, you have no business reviewing them.

Machocruz

Arcane
That's why we get stuff like IGN's 100 Best RPG's of All time, that doesn't list Arcanum, TOEE, Gothic 2 or VtM;B...

Ignorance mixed with pandering. Even if they had played those games and could think analytically about them, they still wouldn't make it into what is essentially a popularity contest.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I have to talk about Lauren Wainwright. Her first reaction after the column went out was to claim the piece was libellous. Lauren is clearly a writer with many friends in the games press and in games PR. I think it is shameful, and very telling, that none of them talked her out of a course of action that could only end horribly for everyone involved. The internet is a savage thing, and these friends let her fling herself into its jaws. I feel for Lauren in a way, because I don’t think she’s corrupt. I said as much in my piece. I think that she’s behaved how she’s been conditioned to behave by her fellow writers and by her PR friends. I think she did one of the worst things one writer can do to another, but I don’t think she’s “on the take”. And her actions since, supported by people who know better, have made her a focal point for a piece that was never about her. She has faced the ugly side of these internet dramas, where people dig into your past and highlight all your mistakes. She’s faced nasty comments based on her sex and her looks, because that’s what some corners of the internet do to women.
And it has to stop.
Because here’s the thing. This story – my column, Lauren’s reaction, Eurogamer’s edit, my stepping down, the whole aftermath – is not about writers. It’s about PR. It’s about these marketing people who have a stranglehold over most of the industry, and control the narrative of the whole scene. They’ve even controlled the narrative of this disaster.
Do you think Lauren acted entirely alone in pressuring Eurogamer to change my piece? Do you think she has that power? I don’t. Who do you think MIGHT have that power?

There's a little thing here that's been nagging me. If she did not acted all alone as he suggests. If her actions aren't entirely hers. Then how can he even say that he doesn't think she's on the take? On the contrary, it goes quite some way to suggesting that she's pretty much the very defenition of that.

And if that's not enough.

http://i.imgur.com/QwWqp.png

Machocruz

Arcane
Note the dead eyed look, similar to that which graces the visage of Geoff "I'll suck yo' dick!" Keighley. Common signifier, or coincidence?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Totalbiscuit ‏@Totalbiscuit
I realize the latest Mailbox may have given a bunch of people rope to hang me with. That was the point, I'm wrestling with the issues myself

Dexter

Arcane
Another great article on Forbes from Kain: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...how-video-game-journalism-went-off-the-rails/

Also, from the perspective of a shill: http://www.gamefront.com/critics-in-the-headlights/

It's definitely going all sorts of places now: http://www.incgamers.com/2012/10/incgamers-podcast-special-the-florencewainwright-incident/

Also, this:
QwWqp.png

Multi-headed Cow

I like Totalbiscuit asking people to call him on shit while he deletes negative comments on his videos.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I like Totalbiscuit asking people to call him on shit while he deletes negative comments on his videos.

Well written documentation of bias and providing legitimate evidence of it, is different from deleting shit posts.

Oh and here was his challenge:

Totalbiscuit ‏@Totalbiscuit
I'd love people to actually call me on bias and provide legitimate evidence of it.

Unless he deletes actual posts specifying this request above.

Also LOL that Lauren chick actually believes she is a Journalist. She should look the word up some day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom