Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
People still play WoW?

Multi-headed Cow

A buddy of mine hasn't stopped since vanilla. Doesn't even raid, just levels up alts to level cap until the next expansion raises it and then goes from alt to alt, then starts new characters when he runs out. He loves him some MMOs and WoW most of all.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
A buddy of mine hasn't stopped since vanilla. Doesn't even raid, just levels up alts to level cap until the next expansion raises it and then goes from alt to alt, then starts new characters when he runs out. He loves him some MMOs and WoW most of all.

Ironically I had more fun leveling than raiding. Your friend doing that doesn't surprise me.

Multi-headed Cow

Doesn't really surprise me either apart from the length of time he's been doing it. I never did raiding in my limited WoW time either (Apart from pick up groups for strat/scholo/UBRS) since the one time I looked into it the guild wanted goddamn forms stamped in triplicate to play videogames with them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Two Eras End In UK Games Journalism

We try to steer clear of journalism-journalism around here, but it’s a strange, sad day for anyone who’s been involved with or followed the UK games journo scene for a while. Friend-of-RPS Tom “Tom Bramwell” Bramwell is leaving Eurogamer after 15 years today, and Future Publishing is closing CVG after 33 years of life.

The Bramwell news is bittersweet – he’s leaving of his own volition, in search of new adventures after having been in one place for so long. I can highly recommend his exit interview with (newly-promoted – congrats!) dep ed Wes Yin-Poole, in which Tom says scurrilous things about major game executives (plus Edge magazine staff), reminisces about his favourite games and consoles, and reveals which articles got him into the hottest water. Also something something Doritos. Tom has steered one of the UK’s most impressive games writing ships for a long time, and he’s got the stories and scars to prove it. He is, trust me, one of the good guys.

All the best to Tom for whatever comes next, and congratulations to Eurogamer’s new editor and similarly upstanding fellow Oli Welsh.

Over at Future, it’s allegedly the end of the line for CVG – or Computer & Videogames, as it was once known. With 33 years of service to its name, both in print and online, CVG is the oldest games publication in existence. (Or was.) Whatever the name has meant in recent years, I sincerely doubt I’m the only person here for whom CVG was the first games mag they ever read. While Future has yet to officially announce the closure, trade site MCV broke the news, citing “sources close to the business”, earlier today.

The reported closure comes as part of an aggressive ‘streamlining’ process at Future, which recently saw the company’s London office closed, Official Nintendo Magazine cancelled and several lay-offs as a response to ongoing cashflow woes. A number of Future writers have also left games journalism rather than go down with any ships.

While no-one disputes that the company – and indeed much of the surrounding industry – is facing massive upheaval, Twitter today had many voices in games media lamenting the decision to close CVG despite its no longer being at the peak of its powers, given it’s such a well-known brand and one which did survive the transition from print to online.

The publisher recently merged sci-fi publication SFX and Total Film into a revised GamesRadar, while these days it claims TechRadar and PC Gamer as its leading online lights. Perhaps there really was no room for CVG in these belt-tightened times, but it’s very sad to see the old oak topple after so long. Commiserations and best of luck to all those affected by the closure.

These are dark times, there is no denying.

Update – and the stalwart Mike Rose of Gamasutra just announced that he’s leaving games writing too. What is it about today?

Dr Tomo

Learned
2014: Go Fuck Yourself
Seriously

[Note: The Badger could be anyone -- a game developer, a member of the gaming press, even a writer for another game blog. They could be just one person or multiple people. You'll probably never find out who they really are, which is part of the fun. Welcome The Badger to Destructoid everybody!]

I've never hated so many people in the gaming community in all my life.

Because of 2014, I learned to hate do-nothing, two-faced AAA game developers who have crafted a culture of brand loyalty that rewards consumers with self esteem points every time they stand up for one of these mega-million companies every time they sell us another pile of stale junk food hamburgers disguised as a "must have experience for every hardcore gamer". I've learned to hate prima donna indie game developers who put their ego before their work, spending more time mouthing off on Twitter than actually making anything. I've learned to hate self righteous, victim-blaming game enthusiasts who treat anyone who dares not to cater to their particular tastes like a violator of their civil rights.

I've learned to hate that Hatred is something that we think is worth talking about. I've learned to expect that everyone else in the vocal minority who bothers to use the Internet to talk about videogames is similarly filled with hate, and is fueled by all the self interested thinking and monstrous behavior that comes along with it.

I hate that I am preoccupied with hating all these things. I hate myself for it and I don't know what to do about that. So I'm going to start blaming people, including myself, and see if that helps.

sheik-620x.jpg

Big game publishers

Big game publishers have fucked up the videogame community in ways that we may never recover from. They've used billions of dollars in marketing money to brainwash a legion of regular people into thinking that being a selfish, entitled little twat is cool and fun. They've tricked us into thinking that they love us when they give us free things like pre-order bonuses or giveaway games with subscription services, in the same way a crack dealer forms a bond of reciprocation with a new customer when they hand out free hits on a street corner.

They've created a culture where consumers value their own worth by how much they consume, and how much developers pretend to love them. People often stereotype gamers as being a bunch of brainless pricks who'd line up to buy a dick-sucking robot that steals their credit card numbers while complimenting them on their cock size. If any of that's true, it's because of the culture created by the Big Money publishers. They're pimps with nothing to offer other than money; money that they gained by draining consumers dry, offering them a million different varieties of tepid bullshit or buggy, broken virtual BJs in return.

If big publishers would start valuing games that do more than suck our dicks (or clits, depending), if they started rewarding us for being individual thinkers instead of hive-mind, brand-loyal zombie shitheads, maybe we wouldn't have so much fear and hatred pointed at anyone who dares to challenge the status quo in this community. They've built an army of wet-garbage fuckers, wearing "I fuck wet garbage!" t-shirts, who will gladly attack anyone who suggests that they try fucking less wet garbage. It's disgusting to watch. It's even more disgusting to watch other people watching it, sitting idly by with "ah, it's such a shame" faux-concerned looks on their faces as they cash in on the whole nauseating process. I'll get to them next.

IronCyndi-620x.jpg

Game "journalists," dingleberries, and other blood suckers

People have been calling out game journalists for being fucking useless, self important hacks for a long time now, but that feeling came to a fever pitch in 2014. The irony is, they revealed how fucking worthless they can be by failing to properly respond to being criticized for otherwise meaningless bullshit. When being called out for being unethical, fearful, lying fucks over issues that were petty and worthless, they behaved like unethical, fearful, lying fucks, revealing the originally petty and worthless criticisms to be somewhat valid.

Before 2014, my main issue with game journalism as a whole was that a lot of writers pretend to be actual journalists when they're not, or that they prop up their opinions like they're facts. Some journalists have pissed me off because they seem to actually think that they are in some way better than their audience because they have been lucky enough to land a job that's the artistic equivalent to jerking off in public, while their audience only gets to do so in private, for no monetary gain. Personally, I'm more likely to trust a guy who jerks off for fun than one who does it for money, but I take that on a case by case basis. I try not to be prejudiced either way. Regardless, this isn't a problem unique to "gaming journalists." It's an issue with "entertainment journalism" in general. I don't fucking trust that Talk Soup prick with his shit-eating grin any farther than I could throw him.

Anyway, this is the year that I learned to truly hate game journalists, YouTubers, and anyone else who would try to turn a brainwashed group of subculture malcontents to their "side" for fun and profit.

Sheik%20Painting-620x.jpg

People have woken up to the fact that there is money and power to be had by propping oneself up as a prophet and leading the army of previously discussed garbage fuckers into battle. These garbage fuckers are a very small percentage of game enthusiasts as a whole, but they are loud, persistent, and dedicated to "winning" whatever bullshit culture war they've been dragged into. Gaming culture is a political game all its own now, with all the lying and manipulating and that goes along with it. The only goal of these so-called "leaders of the culture war" is to demonize "the other side" in order to make themselves look important. They want to be heroes, so they invented a problem then claimed that we have to solve it or else we'll... lose our videogames? Have less fun in our lives? I'll be fucked if I know, but they seem to have scared the garbage fuckers into a frenzy, so I'm sure they came up with some fear tactic that's working for them.

You can't forget that the years of ire and disrespect that the gaming community has received from the mainstream media has us all on the defensive. When you already feel judged and hated for who you are and what you love, it's easy to latch onto some charismatic sweet talker with shit-mildew on the corners of his mouth from all the ass he's kissed, announcing that he is the role model and freedom fighter you've been waiting for. The mainstream media has had a good laugh at the situation, pointing at it as proof that we're the obsessive, deluded geeks that they've always said we were, but as someone who actually gives a fuck, it's a sad state of affairs.

The only thing that game journalists had to do about it was announce that there are only two sides worth caring about -- assholes vs. and not-assholes. If you run around the Internet picking fights, threatening people, getting in holy wars over the political, social, or ethical ramifications of fucking videogames, then you are an asshole. Want to critique a game? Fine. Want to say you think a game might be harmful or harmless? Whatever. But the second that you turn that discussion into a fight, you're a proven asshole who is either truly unable to measure your priorities, or a disgusting shit who's only interested in pushing others down in order to prop yourself up. Over fucking videogames. Jesus H. Christ.

Instead of making that statement clear, game journalists either ran from any sort of role modeling or guidance out of fear of being disliked, or they played into the ongoing culture war shit fight for hits. Either action is cowardly and unethical, speaking to the behavior of a ego-driven asshat who puts his own reputation or page-view count above being a decent fucking person.

ShiekAndAsianLady-620x.jpg

Anonymous Internet Douchebags

Here is where some of the self-blaming comes in. In case you haven't guessed, I work in the game industry. And yet, I'm still bitching here, just like all all the other clowns on social media or whatever-the-fuck-chan who see the Internet as a toilet for their emotions, too scared or selfish to try to use it for anything particularly useful.

Part of the reason I chose to write this anonymously is because I want you to feel like this could have been written by anyone in the industry. I want you to think it could have come from Notch, or Shigeru Miyamoto, or Geoff Keighley. It's not that I'm afraid my words will come back to bite me. It's that I'm hoping that they'll have more of an effect if they aren't tied up in your preconceived notions of who I am and what "side" you think I'm on in whatever shit-for-balls Ping Pong game you may be currently preoccupied with.

That's an explanation, not an excuse. I have no excuse for being a hypocrite and using this anonymous forum to vomit all my anger and frustration onto your computer monitors. I have no excuse for not standing beside my words and being a decent role model for all the people out there who are also hiding behind anonymity, being fucking terrible to other people without fear of the consequences. There is no excuse for that. Just explanations.

IronPlay-620x.jpg

The truth is, anonymous Internet douchebags like me are the cause of almost everything that went to shit for gaming culture in 2014. Shaped by an identity created to validate them for being unsympathetic pricks who see communication as a contest where the one with the biggest e-penis wins, fueled by game journalists/bloggers/YouTubers who role model that behavior in their mercenary, page-view hunting "writing," and empowered by a mainstream media that has taken their months-long tempter tantrum and made it front page news, these turds are the manure that burns in the engine driving the entire game industry forward, regardless of what direction it's headed in. Anonymous Internet douchebags may be trying to hide from responsibility, but they are ultimately to blame for everything they complain about in the industry.

Maybe they'll figure out that they have a lot of power someday. Maybe they'll notice that they can create a culture that values making things, lifting others up, and doing more than breaking things, telling yourself how awesome you are, and whining-as-protest in an "effort" to get other people to fix all our problems. If all the people out there in videogame land agreed in unison to make our culture less shit by simply saying "hey dude, stop being an asshole," the next time they witnessed someone threatening, attacking, or stigmatizing someone over fucking videogames, then maybe 2014 wouldn't have been the steaming pile of undigested rotten meat expelled through the anus of an oblivious, cannibalistic naked titan that it was.

You don't need to blog about it, or make a YouTube video, or start a hashtag, or otherwise make it about your own fucking ego through "signal boosting". Just don't walk away from it the next time you see some noxious shit going on in videogame culture. I know your "real life" is probably stressful enough as it is. I know you probably turn to videogames and videogame discussion as an escape from your actual responsibilities. Fine. Great. Wonderful.

But your little videogame clubhouse is filled with leeches, roaches, and shit. If you don't like it, it's your own fault. I'm going to do more to help change that in 2015. I hope you do too.
*source
I guess it was a disappointing year for a lot of people.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I don't play most AAA stuff, lots of niche releases went better than expected, the couple of others I played were handpicked (Dark Souls 2, USF4), so it's been an awesome year for me.

Last edited:
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like this year.
A lot of drama and lulz to be had that I don't even have to pay for.
Plenty of CC and antagonists to be had too.
Aside from that, there's a noteworthy enjoyable RPG that come out which I like quite a lot.

Edited : May have wrong guy. Too many butthurt bloggers with samey pathetic high school writing.

Last edited:
Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
More like, "let's swindle more money out of the sheeple", am I right? Let's examine an article by Jason Schreier
18jx52b0ni1pvjpg.jpg
, cautiously sucking Ubisoft's dick while screwing over anyone dumb enough to believe him. Remember this name guys/trannies, almost every single line of his article is a lie.

http://kotaku.com/next-years-big-assassins-creed-is-set-in-victorian-lond-1665343788

Next year's Assassin's Creed game will take place in London during the 19th century, Kotakuhas learned thanks to an early leak. Farewell, Napoleon; hello, Jack the Ripper?
An early "leak" that routinely explains the specifics of the new AssCreed title in a way that's obviously addressing the wider audience. We write leak, but imply "corporate PR stunt".

This new entry in Ubisoft's annual open-world action series, slated for release in the fall of 2015, will take us through the dirty back alleys and rattling stagecoaches of London during the Victorian era, a historical period that fans have wanted to see in an Assassin's Creed game for quite some time now.
I've seen plenty of fans demanding a Japanese, WWII-era or modern-day AssCreed. Don't recall anyone giving a shit about Victorian London, certainly not after Revolution-era Paris. Even casuals are feeling over-saturated with done-to-death generic settings like 19th century London.

Victory is something of a shift for the series in a few ways.
Right, it's an annual infusion of generic consoletardation that is indistinguishable from all the other titles in the series. That makes it something of a shift.

For one, this is the first Assassin's Creed game helmed by Ubisoft's Quebec studio, as opposed to their primary Montreal office, which has led development on the biggest Assassin's Creed releases since the first game in 2007.
Oh wow, instead of being made by Shitpiss studio. it will be made by Dickshit studio! Huge shift!

Of course, just about every major Ubisoft game is developed by teams of hundreds that work across all of their studios across the world, from Canada to China.
Which makes your already irrelevant "shift" even more irrelevant.

But it's significant to see anAssassin's Creed game led by a new team
It's significant because it's significant.

We also hear that this will be the only main Assassin's Creed next fall—unless something changes, we won't see two separate entries like we did this year with Unity and Rogue
I'd rather get another Black Flag clone like Rogue than a bland AC2 clone like Unity/Shmoonity/Victory/Courage/Revenge/Goodness/Blandtitle/Welovemoney/Return of the Ezio.

The annualized Assassin's Creed franchise is in a strange spot at the moment and has seen calls from some fans to take a year off, something that doesn't appear to be happening. And given how impressive Victory looks so far—and the implication that it must be pretty far along to already be looking this good—perhaps it doesn't need to.
Unity looked 'impressive' in videos and screenshots too - it wasn't until after the game's release that all the servers broke down, and it became apparent that the game is riddles with tons of bugs, atrocious optimization , citizens popping in and out of sight, graphical glitches, traditionally-moronic AI, non-existent difficulty, and "pay to open this chest" micro-transactions.

Still, it was just a week ago that Ubisoft had to apologize for the technical problems marring its newest major game in the franchise,Assassin's Creed Unity.
"If I briefly acknowledge the flaming-pink elephant in the room without making any undesirable conclusions from it, this will get criticism off my back, right?" - Jason Schreier, while rereading his rough draft.

Tepid reviews of Unity haven't helped, and a humble Ubisoft has opted to no longer charge fans for that game's major expansion, Dead Kings.
"Shit, I flew too close to the truth, better nullify my previous statement with something that makes Ubisoft looks good. See, they're humble and giving away free DLCs, now buy more crap from them!" - Jason Schreier, after getting an angry letter from Ubisoft.

Earlier this year, we told you about Unity and Rogue before they were announced. Today we can tell you about Victory, thanks to a seven-minute "target gameplay footage" video leaked toKotaku that demonstrates what Ubisoft's dev team expects from the upcoming Assassin's Creedgame. The video is surprisingly slick and could pass for an E3 presentation
That's because it is an E3 presentation and everyone knows it. Ubisoft logic: "If we make an E3 presentation but pretend the sheeple aren't SUPPOSED to be seeing it, that'll get them more excited! Muahahaha reverse psychology."

To the eyes of Kotaku staffers who have played recent AC games—and likely to those of you seeing the shots in this article—Victory appears to be using the version of the Anvil engine seen in Unity, the best-looking incarnation we've seen so far.
Wow a sequel that looks marginally better than its predecessors. Cause, normally, it's the other way around. Jason Schreier has so little to say about his subject, next thing you know he'll be telling us AC Victory will have towers, fights, jumping, and side-quests! :lol:

The video begins with an assassin, presumably the game's protagonist, climbing up a tower and looking out at the city of London. We get a quick overview of the city as the camera flies from alley to alley, showing us some of the game's potential side activities (gambling in a pub, street-racing with carriages, and so forth). We then cut back to the assassin, who leaps down to the street, makes his way into a nearby horse carriage, and accepts an assignment from a mysterious masked woman. The task: kill a man named Roderick Bulmer, who has been trafficking little girls for the assassins' ancestral enemies. "The templars must receive our message," says the woman. "You must send it in blood."

Mid-conversation, the carriage is attacked, so the assassin makes his way out and takes out several enemies—who are bearing templar insignias—while keeping his balance atop the moving buggy. It's frantic. A few quick kills later, the assassin arrives at the Charing Cross railway station, where he swaps his hood for a top hat and runs through the crowd, ignoring side quests ("stop that thief!") as he hunts down Bulmer, who is standing among the crowd in the middle of a train plaza.

Our assassin hops and leaps to a platform overlooking the trains, takes out a guard, then uses what appears to be a new item—a grappling hook—to swing over to Bulmer and stab him in the chest.
:retarded: Victory will have towers, fights, jumping, and side-quests? WHAT A UNIQUELY EXOTIC RISQUE-VENTURE FROM GOOBERSOFT!!

The takeaway from the footage isn't just that Assassin's Creed is in a new place and era yet again. It's that, apparently, Ubisoft is pushing for some gameplay innovation.
You're just gonna start splitting hairs and over-embellishing petty gimmicks now, aren't you?

We can see that in the multiple fights on moving vehicles
Cause, we didn't have multiple fights on moving ships in Black Flag/Rogue!

And we can see that in the introduction of the grappling
Stealing ideas from your primary competitor now counts for innovation. :roll: Oh, and that's it, by the way. Jason Schreier couldn't squeeze more than two ngh-irrelevant gimmicks out of his hard-working asshole to try and make this annual piece of crap look good.

It is always unfortunate when internal assets, not intended for public consumption, are leaked. And, while we certainly welcome anticipation for all of our upcoming titles, we're disappointed for our fans, and our development team, that this conceptual asset is now public. The team in our Quebec studio has been hard at work on the particular game in question for the past few years, and we're excited to officially unveil what the studio has been working on at a later date. In the meantime, our number one priority is enhancing the experience of Assassin's Creed Unity for players.
PLZ STAHP WATCHING OUR E3 PRESENTATION ITZ TOP_SECRET MYSTARY INSIDE A RIDDLE WRAPPED IN ENIGMA!! :hearnoevil:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.joystiq.com/2015/01/27/joystiq-closing-shop/

Rumor: Joystiq closing shop
by Alexander Sliwinski @Sliwinski (5 hours ago)

'AOL is likely to shutter' Joystiq, reports Recode. Hey, wait a minute... that's us! Well, we may as well handle this the same way we've been covering the video game industry for ten years.

"We do not comment on rumor and speculation," one staffer told us, wishing to remain anonymous, preparing for their lucrative PR career. Others are still trying to figure out next steps. Another anonymous staffer said, "We're still working until we can't."

Sources tell Joystiq that the staff is aware of the closure, but corporate hasn't officially told them, so they are unable to acknowledge anything out of concern that it will cause immediate shutdown. We've reached out for more information. We will update, as we always have, when we know more.

:hero: :hero: :hero:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
That reminds me: Do modern-game players actually know what a joystick is?

Gamepads, sure...but joysticks?

GrainWetski

Arcane
Didn't Joystiq just recently remove reviewscores? Guess that was the final straw for their overlords(game publishers).

bylam

Funcom
Developer
That reminds me: Do modern-game players actually know what a joystick is?

Gamepads, sure...but joysticks?

Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen seem to have revived interest in flight sticks at least. I've seen quite a few people saying "OMG dis is teh best control eva" when they tried it out.

Semi related note - I got to use a joystick during the Global Game Jam this weekend because a crazy ass programmer made his entry on an Oric emulator (well he made it on the Oric but you can try it on the emulator). http://blog.defence-force.com/index?page=articles&ref=ART43

Perkel

Arcane
pewdiepie triggering polygon

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom