Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

True Creator of the Deck of Many Things and Other Former TSR Employee Happenings...

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I've been talking to Rob Kuntz on Twatter lately. I asked him if he, Gary, or both of them created the deck. This is his reply.

He's also preparing for war against Hasbro for all the libel and other outrageous behavior against the original creators and TSR employees.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

In the 50th Anniversary celebration book the author shit all over the original creators which includes Rob Kuntz.
Check out some of this book's chapter titles:

14. Forging Family Through Queer Dungeons & Dragons - page 211
by Jay Malouf-Grice

16. Hack The Orcs, Loot The Tomb, And Take The Land: Reflections On Settler Colonialism, Indigeneity, And Otherwise Possibilities Of Dungeons & Dragons - page 259
by Daniel Heath Justice

17. Seeking The Unimaginable: Rules, Race, And Adolescent Desire In Dungeons & Dragons - page 275
by Aaron Trammell And Antero Garcia

19. Soft Communities And Vicarious Deviance In Dungeons & Dragons - page 301
by Victor Raymond (who blogs at the Sandbox of Doom) and Gary Alan Fine

:what:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
What the actual fuck is wrong with these people. They sound like the kind of insufferable cunts you'd want to punch after spending 5 minutes around.

S.torch

Liturgist
I'm just a dirty zoomer and never managed to experience the full glory of tabletop RPGs. I got really late to the party when it was basically over. However, I have to fully sympathize with what Mr Kuntz is saying here.

It's incredible how normalised has become to badmouth and belittle authors from the "past". Calling them names and throwing all sort of extravagant accusations, to the point you would think is a war criminal and not an artist just writing stuff in his/her studio. At one point you become numb to these accusations and ignore it, but is very perverse when you think about it. I put past in quotation marks because sometimes, like in this case, these harpies don't even wait for the authors to be gone. They directly slander them to the point of dehumanisation. Completely hysterical and disgusting.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm just a dirty zoomer and never managed to experience the full glory of tabletop RPGs. I got really late to the party when it was basically over.
You can still try it now. Basically most people who are into tabletop are freaks with mental diseases, obesity, their scalp is visible through bald spots or their dirty hair was last washed ten days ago, etc. I've not seen a table where at least one or two were these freaks. So you start with that.
Then you have to consider most people aren't exactly writers. Their roleplay will be so basic, it'll be cringe.
Then you have to consider that they're all normies in their interests and tastes. They'll laugh at stupid jokes and will marvel at their own dumb ideas that you've considered and rejected 20 minutes ago.
Good luck getting a good experience with this.
It won't be like in the movies, it'll be like this. You haven't missed much.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm in a discord server called "Free Kriegsspiel Revival" where the playerbase is seemingly dominated by middle-aged pious Midwestern family men. Totally different vibe.
Outside of such rare oases, Bester's description is 100% accurate and the norm.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm just a dirty zoomer and never managed to experience the full glory of tabletop RPGs. I got really late to the party when it was basically over. However, I have to fully sympathize with what Mr Kuntz is saying here.

It's incredible how normalised has become to badmouth and belittle authors from the "past". Calling them names and throwing all sort of extravagant accusations, to the point you would think is a war criminal and not an artist just writing stuff in his/her studio. At one point you become numb to these accusations and ignore it, but is very perverse when you think about it. I put past in quotation marks because sometimes, like in this case, these harpies don't even wait for the authors to be gone. They directly slander them to the point of dehumanisation. Completely hysterical and disgusting.

You can still find a game with old timers like me. They're mostly grandpas and grandmas at this point and just want to enjoy the game like they have since they started in the 1970s-1990s.

If you see anyone that says they like any version Wiztards DANDINO that's who you avoid. If you see someone that enjoys the original they're pretty much chill.

Amusingly, almost the entirety of my PnP D&D experiences were with jocks. Like half of a football team. My house was the "hang-out" house for a few years. The games weren't terribly serious though. They more often than not went just like the old 8-Bit D&D cartoon. Later in college I played a few session with a group of guys who also didn't fit the mold. House parties with cocaine and hot women kind of bros. My MTG group in college did have a few neckbeards, but they were the exception. Nearly all of us were fit, got laid regularly, and had jobs. I guess the whole culture around it had really changed by the 2000s. By 2011 I was basically out of the scene though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom