Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tunguska: The Visitation - top-down survival shooter inspired by S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Wow, I just sank nine hours straight into this. Pleasantly surprised. A mini-review:

I'll start with the best part. The combat is terrific. In melee, position and timing are crucial, but generally, a hard hit followed by two faster hits means staggering and certain death to most unarmored targets. In shoot-outs, the PC has to land several hits with all the irl mechanics in place, such as: standing still gives greater accuracy but also poses a greater risk of being shot; moving or shooting in succession means poorer accuracy due to the spread and recoil; shooting behind the cover isn't going to do much, but at least you are in the cover. Weapons have different ranges, which you—or the enemy—can use to an advantage. Experimentation with approaches leads to fun and advanced solutions.

Shoot through as Rambo would or tactically gain better angles by running from cover to cover, lure the guards to mines by throwing rocks, choke them in stealth from behind, utilize night/day situations, throw grenades, wait around the corner to bludgeon someone incoming to death, carefully sneak under the opened window, erect and unload both sawed-off barrels into an unsuspecting enemy, and much more. Man, I've not had such fun with combat for quite some time.

Quests (likely) don't branch, but some exploration and thinking on your feet happens, so it's alright. Experiences come from quests, killing, and gathering. There are two exp bars: one for survival skills and one for combat skills. Crafting is present; you need to gather the ingredients, grow them, buy them, etc. Health healing is generally neither cheap nor quick; more often than not, you need to eat and sleep rather than crack a stimpak. I suppose, with all the above combined and differently invested skill points, one can go as far as calling it: "There are different builds."

I won't go into describing the graphics—they're there, they're alright, and they serve their purpose. I have to stop at sounds and music, though; those are perfect. Satisfying reloading clicks; telltale gunshots allowing you to recognize which weapon the enemy is using; bandits yelling profanities with heavy Russian accent; sparse, ominous tones during the exploration; traditional Russian songs heard by the campfires; the right kind of stressful radiation or anomaly tickings... An auditory heaven.

If you are a fan, the love letters to Roadside Picnic will make you smile, as they are on point and plentiful. Even if you are not, the atmosphere should seem solid to you; the game is just the right blend of sci-fi (ghouls, anomalies, weird science) and the brooding naturalism of Tunguska's 1980s (mostly realistic weaponry and equipment, contemporary environment, culture, and architecture, etc.). Fyi, people often compare it to the Stalker game, but let us be reminded that it all started with the book and not with the film or the game.

This is how an indie should look. Traditionally a bit rough around the edges, which can be referred to, depending on personal preference, as "adding to the charm" or "somewhat needlessly cumbersome," but all in all, the game is a neat treat in the "got heart and spirit" department and comes equipped with a combat system that hits the sweet spot of balancing realism and gaming liberties. If I were a red panda, I'd raise my sixth finger in a thumbs-up.

Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Announcing Shadow Master Event for Stealth Fest!
c6968e9fbfd1d5dd1fce60b898a26878f407f93b.jpg

Steam is having a Stealth Fest in late July. To follow the "sneaky spirit", I decided to make a DLC that specifically caters to folks who really enjoy the stealth gameplay!

The Shadow Master DLC will include:

- A new game mode called "Sticks and Stones", where you are not allowed to use any guns - only melee weapons ("sticks") and grenades ("stones").

- New melee weapon: Sledge Hammer, which has an enormous blunt damage that crushes through armor!

- New melee weapon: Combat Knife, which is not only the fastest melee weapon, but also allows you to perform a fast stealth kill against humans, and magnified damage against unaware ghouls.

- New ranged weapon: Ballistic Knife, which silently shoots a knife for a short range and can be paired with the Ballistic Shield.

- New crossbow bolt type: Explosive-Tip Bolt, which explodes upon impact.

- New armor: the "Death Shroud" Stealth Armor, which reduces visibility at night and also reduces player's footstep noise.

- New hitman quests where you will be given a target to silently eliminate for some blood money!

Well, I have less than a month to make all these happen so I better get going now :)

Fargus

Arcane
I grabbed this game on sale with two dlcs, excluding dead zone because it looks like tryhard shit. And so far... it's not garbage. Picked a burglar background and took down three militia men, didn't want to pay border guard. Game reminds me a bit of Cold Zero.

I also had to use shitty unity mod tools to change one of the character creation portraits because they all look too retarded and subhuman. Wish unity trash was easier to mod.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Time to Wishlist Shadow Master DLC! And A Small Update
Like usual, I always end up doing more work than I originally planned :P I found myself writing a whole "novel" for the Shadow Master DLC, and I really hope I can get everything done by 7/24. If not, may be a few days late. It didn't help that I also got strep throat and I've been feeling really sick these days.

Anyways, please check out the steam page for the DLC :)

Also a few updates in 1.69-7:

- Fixed a bug with motorcycle spawning far from the player in ravenwood

- Raised the point of aim when locking on to an enemy, while using ChaseCam and Gamepad control scheme

- Fixed the inaccurate aim of the crossbow

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I applaud the effort, but the game is pretty formulaic and barebones. The tedium of backtracking is also tiresome. I've killed legionnaries and pretty much up to this point the game was more of the same. The controls are pretty awful and i don't think the isometric alike view/top down camera is suitable for this kind of genre, especially with cover being a big factor in combat. Author also pretty much shamelessly copied rookie village from stalker.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I applaud the effort, but the game is pretty formulaic and barebones. The tedium of backtracking is also tiresome. I've killed legionnaries and pretty much up to this point the game was more of the same. The controls are pretty awful and i don't think the isometric alike view/top down camera is suitable for this kind of genre, especially with cover being a big factor in combat. Author also pretty much shamelessly copied rookie village from stalker.
I think that's unkind in the same way as saying to a dog he isn't a lion. Sure, lion king of the savannah and all, but teh doggo is there for you, and he shouldn't be a lion same as octopuss shouldn't be a grasshopper.

Last edited:

Rotorist

Rotorist Workshop
Developer
The Legionnaire situation felt odd. When I tried paying them off to fuck off for a while they attacked me regardless - is there a way of dealing peacefully with them? I fully get that this could have been one of those "can't trust anyone in the zone, Stalker" situations, but this felt more like scripts going off the rails.
It used to be the case that you could pursue the paying them off path and they'd betray you immediately. There was no peaceful way about it, ultimately. Now it's supposed to be a valid way to complete not-Sidorovich' quest but they'll turn aggro later on. Could very well be bugged, who knows.
You can with a hidden dialogue branch. If you have 1000 rubles, you can pay them off and complete the mission peacefully, but they will not leave and will shoot you on sight the next time you are back there.

Rotorist

Rotorist Workshop
Developer
Seems decent, but i think i will refund, i'm such a graphical whore unfortunately.

The assets used here belongs in games made some 20'ish years ago, makes very little sense. It reminds me of games like never winter nights 1 or so.

He could spend maybe $100-200 on modern stock assets to make the game look at least twice as good. Bet it would sell better and it could be advertised better with some pretty nice looking screens. I mean its not running on a 20 year old engine, Unity is capable of higher poly count than 800'ish for a tree and 20 for a rock..
lol 200 dollars barely buys you a few car models. Besides, nobody makes post-apocalyptic soviet environments :)

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
The Legionnaire situation felt odd. When I tried paying them off to fuck off for a while they attacked me regardless - is there a way of dealing peacefully with them? I fully get that this could have been one of those "can't trust anyone in the zone, Stalker" situations, but this felt more like scripts going off the rails.
It used to be the case that you could pursue the paying them off path and they'd betray you immediately. There was no peaceful way about it, ultimately. Now it's supposed to be a valid way to complete not-Sidorovich' quest but they'll turn aggro later on. Could very well be bugged, who knows.
You can with a hidden dialogue branch. If you have 1000 rubles, you can pay them off and complete the mission peacefully, but they will not leave and will shoot you on sight the next time you are back there.
So, there are some quest branchings after all! Nice!

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
So far, I especially loved the part in the story when the player gets

stripped of their possessions. I had to repeat that part like 8x, but that was the charm. I finished it by garroting two guards, arming myself with one of their guns (ammo almost spent though) and planting three mines--as the only other immediately-available loot-- by the three entrances to the "prison building" where the cutthroat-guards kept passing through on their patrols. All done carefully in stealth.

It was such a gaming treat to wait hidden behind a wall and to listen to the sounds of boom and doom and the following commotion. It was surpassed only by the feeling of leaning into the doorframe, shooting into the appearing crowd, insta-killing two more guards. Five down, three more to go... The rest was "just" a proper shoot out with me shooting from behind doors, them trying to cover behind the tables and outside door-frames, etc.

Thinking about it now, I must've been super-lucky that they didn't throw a grenade in my small room :D

Last edited:

mkultra

Augur
Seems decent, but i think i will refund, i'm such a graphical whore unfortunately.

The assets used here belongs in games made some 20'ish years ago, makes very little sense. It reminds me of games like never winter nights 1 or so.

He could spend maybe $100-200 on modern stock assets to make the game look at least twice as good. Bet it would sell better and it could be advertised better with some pretty nice looking screens. I mean its not running on a 20 year old engine, Unity is capable of higher poly count than 800'ish for a tree and 20 for a rock..
lol 200 dollars barely buys you a few car models. Besides, nobody makes post-apocalyptic soviet environments :)
Which asset store are you looking at?
There are many assets from $1-$10, tons of free ones too (though of course one need to read what kind of license it comes with). I'd absolutely look outside of Unity Assetstore, i took a quick look and it seems very expensive there, there are hundreds of other places.

What defines post-apocalyptic is mostly in the texture department or that it looks somewhat broken, quite easy to add i would say. So even if there might not be many post apocalyptic assets many can easily be adapted.

When i worked for Kenshi (which is also a kind of post apoc. RPG) all the assets for that game he purchased in the OGRE asset store (i believe it was), i was quite impressed with the character animations and buildings he had found for the game (might not look impressive today, but this was 11 years ago).

I could probably provide you with free assets (trees and flora / groundcovers) and post apocalyptic textures which have quite a few of, for free / for a mention in credits. PM if you're interested. My biggest graphical mod (Skyrim Flora Overhaul) have ~4m unique downloads, if that counts for anything, and like mentioned i also did some work for Kenshi (some trees, flora, textures).

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Rotorist
Would you be so kind as to talk a bit about how this game came to be? I believe a full-fledged game such as this must be a colossal project for just one guy. Did you do everything by yourself? How did you get inspiration? What were your motives?

Last edited:

Rotorist

Rotorist Workshop
Developer

Which asset store are you looking at?
There are many assets from $1-$10, tons of free ones too (though of course one need to read what kind of license it comes with). I'd absolutely look outside of Unity Assetstore, i took a quick look and it seems very expensive there, there are hundreds of other places.

What defines post-apocalyptic is mostly in the texture department or that it looks somewhat broken, quite easy to add i would say. So even if there might not be many post apocalyptic assets many can easily be adapted.

When i worked for Kenshi (which is also a kind of post apoc. RPG) all the assets for that game he purchased in the OGRE asset store (i believe it was), i was quite impressed with the character animations and buildings he had found for the game (might not look impressive today, but this was 11 years ago).

I could probably provide you with free assets (trees and flora / groundcovers) and post apocalyptic textures which have quite a few of, for free / for a mention in credits. PM if you're interested. My biggest graphical mod (Skyrim Flora Overhaul) have ~4m unique downloads, if that counts for anything, and like mentioned i also did some work for Kenshi (some trees, flora, textures).

I would love to have some flora/ground textures :) That would be great!

The thing with the assets in asset store is that they don't fit my needs. Tunguska is a top down game which means the buildings need to be more wider than usual, and walls must be less tall to look more comfortable from way above. I require a distorted proportion. I can model all sorts of buildings, the only painful part is of course texturing, because textures.com gets really repetitive after making a few buildings. But I think the graphics could use a lot of detailed ground decors, such as little rocks, tire tracks, etc. But I have a hard time finding those textures.

Rotorist

Rotorist Workshop
Developer
Rotorist
Would you be so kind as to talk a bit about how this game came to be? I believe a full-fledged game such as this must be a colossal project for just one guy. Did you do everything by yourself? How did you get inspiration? What were your motives?

Sure :)

It was started way back in 2014 or so, when I was contemplating a 3D top down zombie shooter with RPG elements. I was playing a game called "Dead Horde" (https://store.steampowered.com/app/27940/Dead_Horde/) which had an art style I kinda liked, but the gameplay was really bland, so I was thinking what if I made a zombie game with similar aesthetics but more in-depth mechanics and a better story? So I started working on a prototype, figuring out how to add animations to characters, writing AI (the AI was inspired by F.E.A.R.'s GOAP system), and you can see one of the earliest prototype videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQmZ0IsS_VQ (you can browse my channel to see all my dev videos)

Later I thought the zombie theme was over-done, and I happened to play This War of Mine and thought it would be cool to make a top down shooter related to a besieged city like Sarajevo. I bought a bunch of books about the Bosnian war and read them to get inspiration. It didn't really work out because a city scene would be way too complicated to model for me. Also, I first envisioned a paused real time combat tactical gameplay, and even got it to work, but I realized that controlling just per character in a stealth setting felt really good (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVEu2J5k88w) so I ditched the team tactical idea and focused on single character.

One day I had an epiphany, that why don't I just make a top down stalker? I had all the combat mechanics made already, and all it needed was a background story. Plus, it would be easy for me to model a rural russian setting since it didn't have to have a bunch of buildings to model. So by end of 2017 I had a full-feature demo released to the public (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uROEpiWRtlw)

Then my second kid was born, I was really busy taking care of the baby, and I also ran into a block with writing the story. So I did very little for the next two years, almost gonna abandon the project. Then COVID happened, I suddenly found myself no longer going to work or taking my older kid to school, so I decided to pick up the old project, simplified the scope, chopped up the big scene into small maps, and a year later I managed to complete it and release it. After that, it was just all about fixing the game according to player feedback and keep making DLCs :)

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I grabbed this and all the DLCs recently when it was on sale. Looking forward to playing it in the near future.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
:lol:Rotorist

Sure :)

It was started way back in 2014 or so, when I was contemplating a 3D top down zombie shooter with RPG elements. I was playing a game called "Dead Horde" (https://store.steampowered.com/app/27940/Dead_Horde/) which had an art style I kinda liked, but the gameplay was really bland, so I was thinking what if I made a zombie game with similar aesthetics but more in-depth mechanics and a better story? So I started working on a prototype, figuring out how to add animations to characters, writing AI (the AI was inspired by F.E.A.R.'s GOAP system), and you can see one of the earliest prototype videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQmZ0IsS_VQ (you can browse my channel to see all my dev videos)

Later I thought the zombie theme was over-done, and I happened to play This War of Mine and thought it would be cool to make a top down shooter related to a besieged city like Sarajevo. I bought a bunch of books about the Bosnian war and read them to get inspiration. It didn't really work out because a city scene would be way too complicated to model for me. Also, I first envisioned a paused real time combat tactical gameplay, and even got it to work, but I realized that controlling just per character in a stealth setting felt really good (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVEu2J5k88w) so I ditched the team tactical idea and focused on single character.

One day I had an epiphany, that why don't I just make a top down stalker? I had all the combat mechanics made already, and all it needed was a background story. Plus, it would be easy for me to model a rural russian setting since it didn't have to have a bunch of buildings to model. So by end of 2017 I had a full-feature demo released to the public (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uROEpiWRtlw)

Then my second kid was born, I was really busy taking care of the baby, and I also ran into a block with writing the story. So I did very little for the next two years, almost gonna abandon the project. Then COVID happened, I suddenly found myself no longer going to work or taking my older kid to school, so I decided to pick up the old project, simplified the scope, chopped up the big scene into small maps, and a year later I managed to complete it and release it. After that, it was just all about fixing the game according to player feedback and keep making DLCs :)
So, you have two kids and you create games as a sole developer... Are you like Will 21 Char, chugging energy drinks by gallones or something? Only 3 years of development of a game with pretty advanced features in just one person.

mkultra

Augur
Rotorist

You can use skew tool in photoshop to adjust the textures for your needs.
what textures would that be? this is a 3D game, if they require adjustments you should do it in the UV-mapping.
Skewed perspective on a 3D model will not look good.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom