Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Twitter embeds not displaying on firefox

Monk

Arcane
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...-global-enhanced-tracking-protection-settings

Found it, it was this config set to Strict. It works on Standard.

You can click the shield on the left side of the URL bar to turn off ETP for one site or another.

Also, I read somewhere that custom settings are recommended (with everything checked) and choose "all cross-site cookies".

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...-global-enhanced-tracking-protection-settings

You can click the shield on the left side of the URL bar to turn off ETP for one site or another.

Also, I read somewhere that custom settings are recommended (with everything checked) and choose "all cross-site cookies".
but then it will show ads. twitter is not worth having ads on every page

Monk

Arcane

You'll need uBlock Origin or similar to block ads in both the webpage and anything embedded.

The problem is that cross-site cookies won't be blocked. To avoid that, I had to use the multi-account containers addon.

Wunderbar

Arcane
QCHBNfg.jpg

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

You'll need uBlock Origin or similar to block ads in both the webpage and anything embedded.

The problem is that cross-site cookies won't be blocked. To avoid that, I had to use the multi-account containers addon.
no this setting blocks ads on the codex and also the twitter embeds on my iphone

Monk

Arcane

no this setting blocks ads on the codex and also the twitter embeds on my iphone
You want to block ads in embedded tweets but not in this website?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can add this to about:config.
Code:
urlclassifier.features.socialtracking.skipURLs = *.twitter.com, *.twimg.com
urlclassifier.trackingSkipURLs = *.twitter.com, *.twimg.com
Then go to twimg.com and twitter.com and disable cookies & persistent storage for them.

You'll be able to to turn on tracking protection with the embeds visible, while not letting them actually track you.
I've been on this forum for five years and I've never had Twitter posts properly embed. Would like to try this but I'm a bit retarded. Could you give more specific instructions?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Could you give more specific instructions?
Open a new page and navigate to about:config. Linking to it won't work so you have to open it manually.

Copy over the first setting's name, select 'String' and click the '+' button on the right hand side. Then do the same for the other key. The value is the same.

Then go to twitter.com, go to site information -> more information -> site permissions and disable cookies and site data. Do the same for twimg.com.

1685704808471.png

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Could you give more specific instructions?
Open a new page and navigate to about:config. Linking to it won't work so you have to open it manually.

Copy over the first setting's name, select 'String' and click the '+' button on the right hand side. Then do the same for the other key. The value is the same.

Then go to twitter.com, go to site information -> more information -> site permissions and disable cookies and site data. Do the same for twimg.com.

View attachment 36844
When I turn cookies off for Twitter, it doesn't allow me to access the website. Is that normal? Also, how do I open Page Info for twimg.com? When I search for the website so I can open up page.info, it doesn't work. That is probably because it's not a real website right? How do I open the permissions/page info for a website that I'm not currently on?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
When I turn cookies off for Twitter, it doesn't allow me to access the website. Is that normal?
Yes. Use this addon and don't use the website directly.
how do I open Page Info for twimg.com? When I search for the website so I can open up page.info, it doesn't work.
View attachment 36846
Followed your instructions but it still isn't working properly. Here is what I put into my about:config.

1685706951597.png

I also did the other one. When I pressed string and then plus, it gave an empty bar like I needed to type something. I just pressed the checkmark. Did I do that correctly? When I click an embed it succesfully redirects me to the nitter page.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Followed your instructions but it still isn't working properly. Here is what I put into my about:config.
Put only the key into this box. Select 'String' and '+', and only then input the value (again, not the entire key).

#KeyValue
1.urlclassifier.features.socialtracking.skipURLs*.twitter.com, *.twimg.com
2.urlclassifier.trackingSkipURLs*.twitter.com, *.twimg.com

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
You are an absolute legend! Thank you very much for your patience and help. it honestly feels so strange actually seeing embeds after years of not be able to.

As a side note, sometimes I can't see images either, and it's a series of numbers that I have to right click on and press "open image in new tab" to view. Any idea why that happens?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
As a side note, sometimes I can't see images either, and it's a series of numbers that I have to right click on and press "open image in new tab" to view. Any idea why that happens?
Maybe it's an intermittent failure and you just have to reload the page.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
NameValue
urlclassifier.features.socialtracking.skipURLs
*.twitter.com, *.twimg.com
urlclassifier.trackingSkipURLs
*.twitter.com, *.twimg.com, www.redditmedia.com, *.reddit.com, *.vk.com, vk.com

Updated version for Codex embeds.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Twiglard I can see Twitter embeds but when I click the link, I can't see the actual page. I keep getting "Tweet not found" error. Something to do with new Twitter API or?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
@Twiglard I can see Twitter embeds but when I click the link, I can't see the actual page. I keep getting "Tweet not found" error. Something to do with new Twitter API or?
You might have the nitter redirect addon enabled or something. Other than that it's the fault of Twitter.

Caim

Arcane
Speaking of, would it be possible to allow Nitter embeds just like Twitter embeds? Or is that not possible because of how Nitter works?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
disabling privacy badger for this site solved it for me

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom