Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ubisoft pulls the plug on Might & Magic X

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ubi-Milky [developer] Jun 28 @ 12:21pm said:
Hello everyone thank you for your posts.

The server for Might and Magic X - Legacy was shut down on the 1st June.

We are aware that this will prevent you from accessing any unlockable extra content that was available with the game originally. Please see our forum post for a description of ULC content - https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/1241617-Online-Services-Update-Forums

We are also now aware you are unable to progress past Act 1 of the game, because of an activation needed. We are busy investigating a possible solution and will do our best to update you when we hear back from the Might and Magic team, thank you.

-Ubisoft Support

https://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/3115908865100513179/?ctp=4

Also, purely from an anecdotal standpoint: to this day, my copy of M&M X still retains all of the DLC and bonus content including the recently-played so-called "Meow Dungeon", all of the artifacts, no restrictions, and launching via Steam (which is how I originally purchased it) still launches Ubisoft Connect which accepts my login credentials without any trouble.

So I don't know how true the statement of "the Might and Magic X server has been shut down" really is. Why is my game still working then? My suspicion is that there are only problems for new players of the game, those who are attempting to register to play M&M X, and not for those like me who installed it a long time ago, played it, got frustrated with it for various reasons, put it aside, then, a few years later, picked it back up again and still seem to have zero issues with the content being available.

Odd.

No it's real. I have a different computer than I had back when I played it. I can't activate any of the DLCs or anything now. Have you simply had it sitting on a hard drive this entire time? Because that'd mean that you have the file permissions set from years ago.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It was installed on a separate Steam Library SSD that I re-added to Steam after a recent re-installation of Windows 10 on my rig. That's what makes it even more confusing. Unless there's something specific in the Steam location of M&M X that unlocks the content. If that were true, then it should be a trivial matter of providing that fix to everyone who owns the game.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I *think* it changes some values or files in the installation when it verifies which is why people who had an installation / saved games from before the servers shut down didn't have anything removed. It strikes me that since the company had whatever permissions needed to be granted that just rolling that out as a patch should be trivial, but they haven't because they're greedy and/or incompetent. Probably "and".

Zeriel

Arcane
It's far from the first time they've done this stuff, and to much bigger games too if people think they are giving Might & Magic a hard time. There was that famous video about the Driver game for instance. The Ubisoft model is to cut your losses early and not give a fuck about the customer backlash.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Sure. It's just the first game that I cared about. Either way, they should figure this will harm sales. Not in the sense of sales for the title that they've discontinued, just sales for anything else. I won't be giving this company another dime and will be mentioning it if the company comes up in conversation.

Fortunately, between saturation of the market and their games all being the same thing, I don't think this is a very big decision or sacrifice.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
sounds like ubisoft indeed was looking into solution to broken game problem

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I'd hope the delisting would signal a re-release on GOG, but there's precedent for Ubisoft to just sit on old games and do nothing.

On one hand temporary delisting would be the default course of action even if they are working at this very moment to fix it and republish it.
On the other hand, it's Ubisoft we are talking about and the game bombed hard even at launch, so there's a good chance they absolutely don't give a shit about salvaging it.

racofer

Thread Incliner
wye3cpv9q4b.gif

Wunderbar

Arcane
Might and Magic X May Return to Steam

Might and Magic X was delisted from Steam after a problem was discovered with the way the game interacted with Ubisoft servers — or more specifically, servers that were already shut down earlier in June.

As shown on Ubisoft's Multiplayer and Online Services availability page, Might and Magic X was one of many games that had its online servers shut down. That shouldn't have been a problem for a single-player game, but players on the game's Steam Community discussions reported that it was effectively broken — they were unable to access any of the bonus content in the game.

After this issue was discovered, Ubisoft made the decision to delist the game from Steam. That certainly sounds like a death blow for this legacy game, but the good news is that it's not all over just yet.

We reached out to Ubisoft about the Might and Magic X shutdown on Steam and got a bit of positive news — there's a chance that the game will make its way back to Steam.

Here's what Ubisoft had to say on the matter:

ubisoft said:
We are constantly assessing what’s needed to deliver the best possible experience for our players. On June 1st, we shut down various services for several legacy games on PC, including for Might & Magic X – Legacy, as they could no longer meet our security standards. During that process, we unfortunately encountered an unexpected issue with this title, preventing new and returning players to access the game and its DLCs. We are currently investigating all available options and will keep players informed as we can share more. In the meantime, we made the decision to remove Might & Magic X – Legacy from sale until further notice.

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/might-and-magic-x-may-return-to-steam

Sounds like the usual corporate non-answer, but who knows. Maybe they'll release a drm-free patch, it's not like the piracy may hurt sales.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
LOL!

More like...

You do not own your games AT ALL!

Steam can erase them, GOG can, google drive, youtube, imgur, photobucket, etc etc etc can erase your content whenever they want. Hope they don't put usage locks on DLs where after x-times opened or used it DISAPPEARS or cones up with a charge screen or worse (auto-charges your bank account). Fuck, I bet your VPN, anti-virus, and lifelock shit could just quit on you and force you to reapply a new charge even before sub ends. That's the fucky net for you.

Legally, they cannot. The issue is, who as single customer has the resources to fight them up the courts?

Under both EU legistlation and Nice agreement which EU, US Canada and some 100other countries are signatories of defines digital goods as Goods, not Services and as such you have ownership over every licensce you buy regardless of the endless amounts of propaganda to the opposite.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Might And Magic X Legacy - manual code fix to gain back access to Act 2, DLC and Uplay rewards

https://www.reddit.com/r/MightAndMa...gic_x_legacy_manual_code_fix_to_gain/h4b3gnl/

Haven't tried it myself since I already completed the game and uninstalled, but this looks legit.

Seems like it works. Game starts up giving some of the bonus items, etc. Thanks for posting it to our attention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom