Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail

Luka-boy

Arcane
Is it good? Not interested in the ships so much but I want musket fights.
The game's fine, but I wouldn't get it if what you're interested in is land battles from that era. The primary focus is naval combat and I'd even say land battles are in general worse than in their previous games.

Reading some comments from the devs, I get the feeling they added it as an extra and a way of testing the new engine for their American Revolution game. It's no wonder they are skippable with no negative consequences in the campaign.

I mean, disembarking from ships and having them bombard the enemies is cool, but having to deal with a ton of small units zooming around the place, not to mention enemy units retreating and coming back thirty seconds later that you won't even see until they're almost at firing range is infuriating. Way more than in UGCW.

Also hey good news, scaling is a toggleable option now.

Andnjord

Arcane
Is it good? Not interested in the ships so much but I want musket fights.
The game's fine, but I wouldn't get it if what you're interested in is land battles from that era. The primary focus is naval combat and I'd even say land battles are in general worse than in their previous games.

Reading some comments from the devs, I get the feeling they added it as an extra and a way of testing the new engine for their American Revolution game. It's no wonder they are skippable with no negative consequences in the campaign.

I mean, disembarking from ships and having them bombard the enemies is cool, but having to deal with a ton of small units zooming around the place, not to mention enemy units retreating and coming back thirty seconds later that you won't even see until they're almost at firing range is infuriating. Way more than in UGCW.

Also hey good news, scaling is a toggleable option now.

More than any mechanical problem, my main gripe with the land combat is that the scenarios are just completely forgettable. I can remember most of the battles from UG:CW and how they play out in game (and some of my favourite maneouvres and strats), and several of the sea battles from Age of Sail. But nothing for the land battles. Which is fine, because you're suposed to buy this if and only if you're interested in the naval combat.

If it's muskets you want, get the Ultimate General: Civil War game from the same developpers, or get Grand Tactician: The Civil War (yes, those names are terrible, especially when viewed side by side :? )

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
This is an impostor, the true age of sail was made by akella 20 years ago.
iu

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The naval combat is pretty disorganized when you have to control multiple ships. There are way to many things you have to watch, which requeres a lot of micromanagement. The land combat, like people already said, is a secondary thing for this game. In that regard Ultimate General is a way better game. For some reason the visuals of Admiral are also worse than in General.

oscar

Arcane
It's pretty good. Finding it quite a bit easier than Civil War though (though a lot of the difficulty even in Civil War was working out what are the skill point traps and what is efficient use of your money). Capturing ships gives you a huge advantage over sinking them (you can send them back to the admiralty for rep or keep them for yourself if you have enough rep, much much better than buying them).

Taking the option to ignore land battles also makes the game easier as more cash to spend on your precious beautiful ships.

Naval combat feels plausible and satisfying. Age of Sail naval tactics weren't that complicated (as Nelson himself showed). Try cut their T if you want to shoot them up, get in close and grapeshot them to hell if you want to board.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1069650/view/2939151018135576877
mprovements in land battles
We are happy to announce further improvements in land battles.
You can see the changes in the video:

Patch v1.1.6 rev.38061

1. Fixed an issue where if a part of a unit entered at the corner of the defender's sector, range attack was canceled
2. Fixed an issue with no re-suppling when the unit moved inside the supply range of a supply unit
3. Fixed an issue where a unit could remain stuck with reloading animation
4. Fixed a bug due to which artillery could get stuck while trying to go through destroyed sandboxes

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
What happens when I sail to the edge of the map? Do the ships hit a wall like in the Truman show?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom