Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Unannounced cRPG and major title from the developers of Black Geyser set in the same world (Yerengal)

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In the latest Kickstarter update for the expansion DLC Tales of the Moon Cult for Black Geyser it is revealed that the developer, (G)rape Ocean, have secured funding for their next project - a new cRPG set in the same universe (Yerengal) as Black Geyser. It won't be Black Geyser 2, it's not time for that yet, however it will be a major title and work will commence as soon as Tales of the Moon Cult is released in February 2025.

We are happy to announce that funding is secured for a next product, which is going to be a major CRPG in the world of Yerengal/Black Geyser, but it isn't yet the sequel for Black Geyser. (Yes, we totally want a sequel too.) Negotiations to secure this indie-level funding kept a big part of our team busy, but now we are good. Therefore, the development of the next product will start as soon as the DLC is released. Since the core team is still very small, we cannot overlap these two productions, but the preparation of the next product had to be started now, otherwise a seamless transition won't be possible from the DLC to the next product.

The next CRPG, while not yet a sequel, will aim to improve several aspects that were suboptimal in Black Geyser, and certain features will be modernized as well.

The idea sounds great and I'm glad that they will be able to continue as a studio and delivering new games. Although it sound promising that they will fix certain aspects that were suboptimal in Black Geyser it feels worrisome that they also aim to modernise certain features as well. The term "modernise" could very well be a codeword for decline.

I'm tagging GreenMagicSpell just incase she might know something about this newly announced game.

Last edited:
I think Black Geyser was a solid base to start. IIRC it was their first game and it can be turned into sth. good if they improve the right things.
It's also pretty cool that they keep using the same world for a different game. Gives them the opportunity to add more depth to the worldbuilding.

MjKorz

Educated
Enjoyed Black Geyser from start to finish. Almost felt like I'm playing an old Infinity Engine game. Hope the new game they have will improve upon party member characterization with more dialogues, interjections and personal quests as I felt that was the weaker part of Black Geyser.

Also: add endgame epilogues for party members to deliver that BG2 nostalgia killmove.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Cool news, I like Black Geyser for what it is. I wish someone in the industry to make a game about sword and sorcery, riches, glory, unknown mysterious monsters and deadly dungeons rather than having another take on BG/BG2 recipe filled to the brim with romances and modern roleplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom