Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Alfons

Prophet
It's a quest. Some dude asks you to retrieve his knife out of his house that is occupied by some asshole, he offers you the cash in the house in return. The guy in the house might be difficult, I don't know because I use psi, but you can just flashbang him grab the cash and go out the way you came. It's incredibly easy to do at level 3 or 4 but I've done right in the beginning of the game, but doing that requires reloading merchants and quick loading a lot. It's sort of like the fallout 2 Navarro run, it's probably easier, and definitely doesn't give you something as impressive and doesn't break the game.

Atchodas

Augur
Oh thats Kohlesomething guy in slums area , i guess that is viable option, reward of 500 fakin charons can be gamechanging, depends how lucky you get ( or savescum ) i mean when i got steel armor at level 3 rathounds did 0 damage to me .
Next playtrough will definitely try this ,
also to people willing to savescum you can get AR Marauder Frame( also you can spend useless SGS credits on that too) that requires 37 mechanics and craft yourself bad ass assault rifle and use it at lvl 4 i changed it only at lvl 10 , had 7 INT and gun nut for extra power too

Alfons

Prophet
Quick loading is well within the games "rules" since if you sit through enough 90-minute increments you will get the same result...eventually.

Atchodas

Augur
Yeh sometimes i end up leaving Underrail On , while not playing it , not to savescum but to reset that trader to sell him more items lol , also i noticed that due to RNG trader inventory i had to do some savescumming mid game to get proper Chimera Frame , i mean i got 120 Mechanics and best frames i saw were 60~ chimeras after few reloads 99 Mechanics Chimera Frame powered by 9mm Acid Bullets was mine , traders being such RNG dependent might be the only problem with Underrail and that is actually not really a problem because you can just reload if you want to , any1 got idea which trader is the best to savescum for Shrapnel Bullets blueprint ?
Just met Al Fabet guy in core city lol STYG you know how to mock your players , enjoying the humor in the game very much lol , where are developers from anyway ? Europe ? which part of it ? more to the east :D ?

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
So I just got the game after noting it never went on sale (would have gotten it a weakish ago, but as I just mentioned...) and likely wouldn't ever go down.

I really like the interface so far, especially that you can see all possible feats at character creation. Could use some indication 1: That psiempathy is acquired from the game world (in less than a minute!) 2: what is a good rating for skills

I feel the dialog after the psi-pill should have some indication of how long your character was out for (is there any form of time keeping in this game? Didn't see a clock on the interface)

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm mapping out the game on an Excel spreadsheet (works quite well!), and every section I complete beyond SGS aggrieves me; I can't help but feel that Styg and co. will add more great stuff to the game with the final release that will necessitate another fifty hours of my time.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Nearly a month without dev log udates. I'm jonesing for a hit. A screenshot. Anything!
:negative:

I understood that there would be no more updates, as the next step is to release the game?
Could be wrong.
But an update on the progress towards the release, some screenshots and a bit of the changelog, just to sustain us till the release, a small doze, reeeeaaaalllyyyy little, I swear!

Kalasanty11

Learned
So, what is the status of the game now? Is final release going to have much more content? Also, is encounter design and AI good, compared for example to Knights of the Chalice?

Monocause

Arcane
So I just got the game after noting it never went on sale (would have gotten it a weakish ago, but as I just mentioned...) and likely wouldn't ever go down.

Waiting for a sale on a €8 game bringing massive incline? Come onnnnn

Effing this. Steam's making us spoiled brats to an absurd point where a game is dirt cheap anyway but people still want to wait for the price to drop.

The game is going to sell tens of thousands of copies at best, not hundreds. Now consider it's been in development for five years (part time development, but still). Now consider that Steam takes a hefty cut out of the profits. Now consider the tax and development costs. A number of other things that can/will affect ROI.

Eight euros is fucking peanuts. Buy it at full price ye twats.

Actually, Vault Dweller - could you chime in with your AoD experiences and say how's an indie dev's math look like? Let's assume generously that Styg, after five years on working on the game, sells 50,000 copies on Steam, 8 euros each. Substracting all the usual costs, could you do an estimate of how much of that money would be actual profit?

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Waiting for a sale on a €8 game bringing massive incline? Come onnnnn

Effing this. Steam's making us spoiled brats to an absurd point where a game is dirt cheap anyway but people still want to wait for the price to drop.

The game is going to sell tens of thousands of copies at best, not hundreds. Now consider it's been in development for five years (part time development, but still). Now consider that Steam takes a hefty cut out of the profits. Now consider the tax and development costs. A number of other things that can/will affect ROI.

Eight euros is fucking peanuts. Buy it at full price ye twats.

Actually, Vault Dweller - could you chime in with your AoD experiences and say how's an indie dev's math look like? Let's assume generously that Styg, after five years on working on the game, sells 50,000 copies on Steam, 8 euros each. Substracting all the usual costs, could you do an estimate of how much of that money would be actual profit?
Steam takes 30%, which is a standard (and fair) cut these days. Payment processing alone costs you 10% avg, so basically you pay extra 20% for the access to the biggest, trigger-happiest market in the world.

Then you have taxes. The US wants 30% from all US sales. If you make money by selling shit to the US citizens, uncle Sam wants his cut. It's the only western country in the world that does it. Since Styg's country doesn't have a tax agreement, I assume he has to pay taxes twice (although the US tax then becomes the cost of doing business and deducted from the local taxes).

So, basically, a non-US developer who sells 50,000 copies at $8, thus making $400,000 would give 30% to Steam and pocket $280,000. Let's assume that $200,000 are the US sales, so he would pay 30% to uncle Sam for the privilege and keep $140,000 plus the non-US $80,000, i.e. $220,000. Then he would pay the local corporate taxes, let's say another 30% and claim the US tax as expense plus other expenses, so let's say the taxable income is around $100,000 to keep the math simple. So he pays $30k and keeps the rest, which is $190k, less than half of what the game earned. If it's a corporation, then he has to pay some payroll tax (corporate tax) and income tax (personal tax) before he can touch his money.

Atchodas

Augur
So, what is the status of the game now? Is final release going to have much more content? Also, is encounter design and AI good, compared for example to Knights of the Chalice?
Underrail does not suffer from any "retardo AI" problems because you control 1 character and when all enemies nuke the shit out of you you dont think about their AI you think about surviving that stun . Also i seen some pretty simple patterns that does indeed work very well , AI will use CC first and then try to damage you , unless it is a flashbang ( flashbang incapacitates you but any damage will break it , dont worry AI will always have some AP to Flashbang you in the end of their turn so you are forced to skip yours, also surprisingly other enemies rarely break your Incapacitated status , if PSI enemy havent incapacitated you during his turn there is a great chance that his AR friend has an FB ready for you and they are just waiting to damage you first before doing it) , AI will use items they got in inventory , if you burst fire 3 enemy Raiders and kill none of them chances are that next turn they all gonna use Health Hypo and will be full hp ( if they got a health hypo in inventory ofc ) , enemy does not have to be "grenadier" to throw a molotov or flashbang on you most of raiders got some kind of grenade on them esp later in the game , but god forbid if he is grenadier he will throw so many grenades that you wont enjoy it for sure and end his turn with a FLASHBANG lol :D .PSI enemies deserves a special mention they will fuck you up badly if not killed fast also most of them packs a double cc and can spawn a doppelganger and doppelgangers are evil. Melee Enemies are bit dumber ( no surprise lol they should be dumber than PSI guy ) and they will run to you in a str8 line so if you got quick tinkering you can trap them easy , also there are no popamole ambush/cover system so using corners will lure even snipers very close to you ( dont think about it as a bad thing first time you meet a real sniper he will kill you 10 times before you know where he was shooting from ) , starting a fight carelessly or opening wrong door in Underrail usually ends with you getting CC'ed and killed before you could do anything . Havent tried much stealthing but i did most of the "stealthy" missions (all missions can be stealthed but few of them are stealth only or you aggro half of the underrail) with my crafted epic stealth gear and AI reaction was decent at spotting me if i wasnt careful , but i had 0 base stealth and 3 Agility so i guess if you make a dedicated stealth character he can be close to invisible ? havent tested this yet , also i havent tested much of PSI mechanics either

Last edited:

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
A huge issue im having is that not everyone in the game or in wiki articles (even on the main underrail wiki page) are in agreement about what constitutes North/South/East/West. I just spent maybe 3 hours trying to find the stolen train (like Southern train depot not actually being very southerly according to the compass) -- logically i figured a train needs tracks and so followed those leading from the protectorate outpost...but no luck, tracks disappear from one map to the next, im not sure how trains are supposed to move around down here.
after getting frustrated i tried the internets, but even on the underrail wiki some contributors are using writing "south" when they mean "down" and "down" when they mean "east". I finally figured out where the hijacked train is, but it doesnt make sense as to how it got there at least from what i can see of the map and its point of origin, nor did i find any clues or npcs giving indication of where to start looking.
a map would help, even one that was non-automated and just gave a general layout of the known structure of the underground. with how often people in the game get lost and in trouble youd think theyd have started to think about keeping some kind of records.

Atchodas

Augur
Underrail wiki is not a walktrough , it tells you what a quest wants and different ways to finish it and something like : go South Lel :troll:

i am so happy that on my release playtrough i will know where to go omg , lol gona be good .

Also using compass helps somewhat a bit because in underrail NORTH IS THAT WAY >>>> , going west means go UP etc etc . its hard to understand at first .

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
i mean getting lost and trying to follow other peoples directions, when nobody can agree upon what is north south up or down in this game.
is it that hard to have north and south be top/bottom of screen and up/down refer to elevation, or at least if youre going to contribute to the wiki use the conventions of the games universe. I also dont see any clues pertaining to the lost train quest - is it just one of those uncover the whole map until you find it things, or am i just missing the player relevant clues or journal or conversation that would at least suggest a starting point? ive now been to almost every major location in the game just trying to find the damned path to the stolen train.

Atchodas

Augur
There are no indications where the train is as far as i know , i almost went mad during that quest , and then there is that sniper on the train who 1hits you out of fog of war :D for me that was the quest that hardened me for the rest of the game .
It kinda makes sense in the end because well train was stolen and is lost if anybody knew the location where to look for it protectorate would be there gassing everybody .

Last edited:

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
fuck me im retarded. i literally found it less than a minute after posting. but i think part of the issue for me is that where the transition nodes are dont always give the best indication of where locations are situated with respect with each other. you may travel down two flights of stairs, go west and south, to end up somplace east of there...because tunnels are clusterfucks. shit even a blank map that one can self annotate would be perfect. have it show area transitions youve already uncovered, but not name or compass-point to them, and leave it to you to tag or mark them for future reference.

its a game i love to hate and hate to love so far though. but sometimes i get into it, im enjoying it, then i realize i have to slog through another hour of samey-looking corridors and tunnels, at a snails pace, with no way to even leave spoons morrowind-style to blaze my trail to the witch's gingerbread house. and i just ragequit and come back a week later.
but now that im done with Witcher 3, Consortium keeps developing unplayable bugs, POE is done and i dont care to replay it..

Last edited:

epeli

Arcane
It's this simple:
Compass_directions.png

But more often than not, the tunnels are maze-like. Things rarely are as easy as walking in a straight line from point A to B.

Once the map is implemented, finding things in-game will be much easier and I will also improve things on the wiki side. In the meantime, the stolen train really is directly south of Rail Crossing:
gbewvsi.png

The wiki should be mostly consistent, but as Atchodas said, the quest pages don't make a good walkthrough.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
like i said its partly my retardo partly reading other people's.
i know that north and south are left and right, just wish people writing about the game would stop mixing and matching standard vs underrail directions i just leave the compass on all the time though at this point its probably not necessary. and i even wandered right into that area while looking for Buzz's Shop/Faceless quest and it just looked like a room that was waiting for content to be developed -- ie no exits and just a few thugs to kill. so i thought id cleared it and never went back thinking that couldnt possibly be where the train was hijacked when i was just there 45 min ago.
found it again no problem, and now the quest progresses

Zdzisiu

Arcane
It's this simple:
Compass_directions.png

But more often than not, the tunnels are maze-like. Things rarely are as easy as walking in a straight line from point A to B.

Once the map is implemented, finding things in-game will be much easier and I will also improve things on the wiki side. In the meantime, the stolen train really is directly south of Rail Crossing:
gbewvsi.png

The wiki should be mostly consistent, but as Atchodas said, the quest pages don't make a good walkthrough.
Btw, is there any indication on how to disarm the bomb, or is it expected to just go with save-reload and trying of every combination?

epeli

Arcane
Btw, is there any indication on how to disarm the bomb, or is it expected to just go with save-reload and trying of every combination?

If your character has high enough traps skill (the requirement isn't very high, but I don't know the exact skillcheck), the correct options will be marked with [Traps].

There are many, many ways around that quest. If you end up in a situation where the bomb is armed and you don't have any traps skill - tough luck. Perhaps you should just run away before the whole depot is buried under rubble if you don't want to try blindly disarming it. (But the correct disarming sequence is listed on the wiki, at the quest's page, if you want to metagame it without savescumming.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom