Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Underrated and forgotten Divinity game?

Hi dear gamers. I'm new here. Have a nice one.
Anyone still playing Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga/Developer's Cut? What do you think about this game? I want to write my thoughts about game. I think this game is best Dragon Themed RPG ever for me and my favourite #1 game. This game have good gameplay,combat system and story. D2: DKS have one uniqual thing which I love that so much;become the dragon,battle with dragons.. I like especially skils in game. That's why I like the combat system in this game. Game is very old and not playable for everyone today but I'm still playing and love this game. Soundtracks are the best. Game is great for 2009 really. Today game is underrated. What a pity. What can I say. Whatever..

When I ask about this game in RPG groups or to any RPG fans even Divinity fans they don't know about this game and one thing which always make me sad, whenever I talk about "Divinity" even about Divinity 2: Developer's Cut, most rpg players thinks of "Original Sin".it is strange.. This game is real hidden gem. I think this game don't deserve treatment like this.What do you think about that why this game such underrated? Although I don't think it's possible I wish Larian Studios will release Remake of this game one day or sequel game like Divinity 2..
but I want to write about one another issue.. probably there will be no Divinity 2 Ego Draconis Remake or sequel game like Divinity 2 after Origianl Sin 2 success. But..... if there would be mods for this game?

Zlaja

Arcane
This action RPG had a fair amount of charm to it. Plenty of faults too, but I enjoyed it. Its decent humor (in the style of Divine Divinity) and a cool implementation of mind reading were the standout features. I also enjoyed the lack of endless respawning enemies.

wishbonetail

Learned
It;s a good ARPG but a serious downgrade from DIvine Divinity. Maybe consolization got something to do with this.
Also, 2009 is really old? Aww man...

Sarathiour

Cipher
Imagine unironically putting reddit as a thread tag.

I wish you luck on you endeavor, fellow gamer.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
While I love the idea of the game, the game itself is so poorly executed that I couldn't bear to play through it again. This is coming from someone who'll try out a game just because there's dragons in it.

The combat is mind-numbingly boring, and the scaling in the level system is pants-on-head retarded. Most games involving character and monster levels seems to have fairly linear scaling, so that enemies above or below your level smoothly become easier or harder depending on the difference. From what I remember of playing Divinity 2 (almost 10 years ago now), the scaling seemed more exponential in scale, with enemies more than 2 levels above you being nigh-impossible to beat, then rapidly becoming trivial just a few levels later.

But for me, its worst crime was gimping what should've been the best part of the game: turning into a dragon and flying around battling enemies. Your movement when turned into a dragon is painfully restricted in many places, in particular by a glass ceiling that in some areas is lower then the thing you're attacking, or so close to some of the higher ground that you can't fly over it, crippling any sense of freedom. As for dragon combat, ground-based enemies will almost immediately turn invisible, and the only things you can actually attack are endless boring stationary turrets 90% of the time, if you're really lucky there's some other flying enemy to fight.

I really, really wanted to enjoy this game, and had to force myself through it in the hope of finding some redeeming part, but it's just not fun.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Your movement when turned into a dragon is painfully restricted in many places, in particular by a glass ceiling that in some areas is lower then the thing you're attacking, or so close to some of the higher ground that you can't fly over it, crippling any sense of freedom.
I hated that so much. I played the game on xbox 360 and it pissed me off so much on how it wouldn't let me just fly around. Prototype and Spiderman let me fly around and it was awesome. This didn't. It sucked. Anyways, I still managed to beat it. Then completely forgot about it til now. The only thing I do remember is there being a cool little ghoul tower where you can make your own ghoul. That was so cool.

Look my friend I playing this game since 2017. okay I admit that game has flaws but you haven't even mentioned most of the things that are in the game. Skills tree,mindread,story,quests.as far as İ can see combat system is important for you.I also give importance to the combat system in RPGs. But I completely disagree with your thoughts.
While I love the idea of the game, the game itself is so poorly executed that I couldn't bear to play through it again. This is coming from someone who'll try out a game just because there's dragons in it.

The combat is mind-numbingly boring, and the scaling in the level system is pants-on-head retarded. Most games involving character and monster levels seems to have fairly linear scaling, so that enemies above or below your level smoothly become easier or harder depending on the difference. From what I remember of playing Divinity 2 (almost 10 years ago now), the scaling seemed more exponential in scale, with enemies more than 2 levels above you being nigh-impossible to beat, then rapidly becoming trivial just a few levels later.
Wanted to easily defeat enemies 2 levels higher than you? Is this what you don't like about the game? For this you have to be good at combat in the game. You must choose the right skills, you can choose your weapons and armors correctly and strengthen them with charms and enchanters. The game gave you these opportunities. Are you sure you didn't play the game in hard mode? :lol: :lol:
But for me, its worst crime was gimping what should've been the best part of the game: turning into a dragon and flying around battling enemies. Your movement when turned into a dragon is painfully restricted in many places, in particular by a glass ceiling that in some areas is lower then the thing you're attacking, or so close to some of the higher ground that you can't fly over it, crippling any sense of freedom. As for dragon combat, ground-based enemies will almost immediately turn invisible, and the only things you can actually attack are endless boring stationary turrets 90% of the time, if you're really lucky there's some other flying enemy to fight.

I really, really wanted to enjoy this game, and had to force myself through it in the hope of finding some redeeming part, but it's just not fun.
I don't agree with any of what you said about the game especially about the dragon part.. What you call a "glass ceiling" does not limit your movement forever. You can disable them and then attack these areas. So you said "the only things you can actually attack are endless boring stationary turrets 90% of the time, if you're really lucky there's some other flying enemy to fight.":lol: really? are you serious man? come oon pleaase. There are many enemy dragons in the game that you can attack with your Dragon. Besides that, there are huge weapons that shoot at you and you can defeat them with dragon.

Last edited:
This action RPG had a fair amount of charm to it. Plenty of faults too, but I enjoyed it. Its decent humor (in the style of Divine Divinity) and a cool implementation of mind reading were the standout features. I also enjoyed the lack of endless respawning enemies.
Yes game has flaws unfortunately. But I want to now. What problems did you encounter in the game?

Üstad

Arcane
I've bought Divine Divinity in this summer still haven't played yet. Didn't even know there was a game called Divinity II in the series.

I bought Divine Divinity in this summer still haven't played yet. Didn't even know there was a game called Divinity II in the series.
I'm not suprised kardeşim)) there are so many players which don't know about this game even Divinity players. Believe bana)) I recommend to play.. you'll like it. Y can trust me)) You won't pişman

It;s a good ARPG but a serious downgrade from DIvine Divinity. Maybe consolization got something to do with this.
Also, 2009 is really old? Aww man...
2009 is reeeaally old but game is not old for me friend.. I'm still playing and still love this game more than ever

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
I haven't played the game in 10 years whereas you've apparently made it your life, so forgive me for forgetting any uninteresting details.

okay I admit that game has flaws but you haven't even mentioned most of the things that are in the game. Skills tree,mindread,story,quests
I guess they weren't interesting enough to remember.

Wanted to easily defeat enemies 2 levels higher than you? Is this what you don't like about the game? For this you have to be good at combat in the game. You must choose the right skills, you can choose your weapons and armors correctly and strengthen them with charms and enchanters. The game gave you these opportunities. Are you sure you didn't play the game in hard mode? :lol: :lol:
The reason I mention the level thing is that it's very arbitrary and limiting. Brick walls become walks in the park just because some number raised a digit or two. Spend x time in y zone to get z XP and then you can roflstomp to the next area where the numbers are marginally bigger. All the skills and weapons felt like the illusion of choice when the real progress was that slowly increasing level number. All this whilst fighting endless identical braindead clone enemies.

What you call a "glass ceiling" does not limit your movement forever. You can disable them and then attack these areas.
So you said "the only things you can actually attack are endless boring stationary turrets 90% of the time, if you're really lucky there's some other flying enemy to fight.":lol: really? are you serious man? come oon pleaase. There are many enemy dragons in the game that you can attack with your Dragon. Besides that, there are huge weapons that shoot at you and you can defeat them with dragon.
Again, I haven't played this in 10 years, but my memory of the game was that dragon combat was 90% "fighting" boring shitty turrets and occasionally the game would deign to let you fight something else, all the while constantly bonking my head on arbitrary flight limits anywhere that was actually interesting to fly around. The only place I remember really getting to fly freely was mostly just empty space with floating islands and more shitty turrets, then landing and killing 1,823 near identical human enemies on foot.

You're making me want to (but not really) reinstall it so I can play it for all of 1 hour before I remember why I disliked it in the first place and then come here and describe my distaste more accurately. There's no way I could force myself to make it all the way to the part where you get to turn into a dragon though; last time I tried to replay the game I made it about as far as some big stone tower jobby near a forest before I decided it wasn't worth it.

Zlaja

Arcane
I've bought Divine Divinity in this summer still haven't played yet. Didn't even know there was a game called Divinity II in the series.

DD is a fun little game and you should play it. Just make sure to stay away from the actual second divinity game called Beyond Divinity (it's crap). There's a reason why the game being discussed here was originally called Divinity II, when released in 2009 (before the name switch to 'Divinity: Dragon Knight Saga' for the remastered version).

Üstad

Arcane

DD is a fun little game and you should play it. Just make sure to stay away from the actual second divinity game called Beyond Divinity (it's crap). There's a reason why the game being discussed here was originally called Divinity II, when released in 2009 (before the name switch to 'Divinity: Dragon Knight Saga' for the remastered version).
I've bought Beyond Divinity alongside with DD, I think it was super cheap together so I thought why not. Probably will play it atleast for once though.

Codex Year of the Donut
Divine Divinity is incredibly underrated. A lot of people on the codex say they like Diablo more than Diablo 2 but never played DD which is Diablo taken in a traditional RPG direction.

Zlaja

Arcane
Divine Divinity is incredibly underrated. A lot of people on the codex say they like Diablo more than Diablo 2 but never played DD which is Diablo taken in a traditional RPG direction.

I think some people went in with wrong expectations. Expected a game similar to Baldurs Gate I & II, and instead got an open world Diablo 1 with dialogue trees.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom