Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, at this point I'm just backing it and hoping for the best.

IF some more solid and definite INCLINE information comes out, then I'll up my pledge.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I am in the same boat, however, these guys really did create some magical shit through several titles so it was no fluke. I believe.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I am in the same boat, however, these guys really did create some magical shit through several titles so it was no fluke. I believe.

Yeah. I would be ranting and raving at this point if it wasn't for shit like this:

STRETCH TRADITIONAL RPG BOUNDARIES

Stretch Goals will allow us innovate even further, adding companion creatures, co-op, user-crafted content, and more…

• Crave fellowship and a companion creature? Vote for the addition of a vorpal bunny or mini-brain.
  • Need a fighter's prowess in combat, a mage’s spell craft, or a thief's lock pick skills? Invite a friend to join you online for a cut of the loot. All your buddies’ offline? Use a Doppelganger Gem to borrow a friend's character as an invulnerable ethereal companion AI. Afterward, your friend will receive a message, with video highlights and rewards.

And certain other nagging issues.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter video said:
The RPG Masterpiece lost for a generation returns
For a moment there, I thought I was watching another Grimoire pitch. Backed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1126518

Halfway through our first day and already over $165,000 pledged towards Underworld Ascendant! Crazy cool. The team and I feel humbled, and hugely thankful for your support.

Wonderful to see how many of you are reaching out with your comments, suggestions, and thoughts on where we should go with the game. When we were developing the original Underworlds we did it largely in isolation from our fans. Much better this way! We encourage you to keep the dialog coming.

Most of all, we are thrilled to have you along with us on the creative journey to shake up the fantasy RPG genre once again.

Finally, I wanted to acknowledge that some of the descriptions we have of rewards and the like on the Kickstarter page could be written more clearly. For instance, a number of people asked if they get the full digital copy of the game at the $20 and $25 dollar pledge tiers? Absolutely yes! The use of “discounted” on these tiers was just to try to say that the full retail price of the game will be higher than these pledge tiers, since we want to offer our Kickstarter backers the game at discount.

We are revising the text to improve clarity (except the pledge tier descriptions themselves, where changes are not allowed once you go live.) We have also added some additional Q&A to the FAQ. I ask your forbearance while we work through these kinks. While we are veteran game developers, we are comparatively new to running a Kickstarter, especially one of this scale and complexity. But we’re learning.

Updated FAQ:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm in for the 20 kwabux cheapskate tier, if only for Looking Glass nostalgia. Like the people above me wrote, I've some serious doubts about the viability of those stretch goals. We'll see how it goes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My advice to OtherSide Entertainment: http://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=114.0

1) It's evident now that the audience of interested backers just isn't that huge. With that in mind, it may have been wise to set a slightly higher minimum tier for getting the game. Like, a $25 or $30 Early Bird tier. Shroud of the Avatar had relatively pricey minimum tiers and that worked for them. More money from less people.

2) Putting an exclusive in-game item in every single tier was a mistake. In other successful Kickstarter campaigns that I've participated in, the minimum tier for getting the game typically has no exclusives. Instead, an exclusive in-game item is placed at the tier one or two places above it (which is typically around $50 or $60). This entices people to upgrade from the minimum tier to that one. By placing exclusives at every tier, you've cheapened them to the degree that people will just ignore them. Copper Ring, Silver Ring, Gold Ring, who cares?

It would have been wise to show the fans a preview of these tiers before launching the Kickstarter. inXile did that with the Torment Kickstarter back in 2013 and they received a lot of valuable feedback.

Apexeon

Arcane
Yeah, at this point I'm just backing it and hoping for the best.

IF some more solid and definite INCLINE information comes out, then I'll up my pledge.

Yeap may as well. I chipped in and sent them a few casks of wine.
If I spot incline I will send them wine not made in china.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
My biggest concern is those stretch goals. I'm almost hoping they don't reach any of them because they mostly sound unnecessary and expensive. Coop is especially iffy in any sort of cost/benefit analysis.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
My biggest concern is those stretch goals. I'm almost hoping they don't reach any of them because they mostly sound unnecessary and expensive. Coop is especially iffy in any sort of cost/benefit analysis.
You know a KS is shit when backers don't want it to reach a certain goal.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What they need to do is get Chris Roberts to link them in a Star Citizen update. There should be at least some overlap.

Darkzone

Arcane
Why haven't their SOTA buddies made a Kickstarter update pointing their backers at the new KS? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/posts

That's the surest way to succeed on Kickstarter. At least they posted about it on their site: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=47929

If that was so easy. Shroud of the Avatar had Richard Garriott, they don't. Shroud of the Avatar had 22k backers. They have after one day 3400 backers, so i would guess that they will reach 12k backers in 29 days. The difference will be also in the amount of pledged money for a backer. SotA had $86 in the end and UA has currently $58. So yes there will be around a million in difference, between them both.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
$200k of funding reached in 25 hours.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
If Otherside blow their wad prematurely and callin favours on day1 they lose the ability to momentum surf and manipulate over the 30 days.

Also, I think they need to leverage the "Looking Glass Rebirth" good will in their press. There are plenty of people who would jump on board if they heard of a LGS rebirth that wouldn't make the connection through an underworld campaign only.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Unless the engine has made huge advancements I can't possibly see Unity running well in a game like this. I will back it in spirit.

I'd hope they switch to Unity 5 once it's available, and in the meantime keep prototyping with Unity 4.

Might & Magic X has shown that this engine can reach it's limits fast.

Speaking of Unity, Warhammer End Times will be the first game using Unity 5 commercially. Look at the screenshots:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_warhammer_end_times_vermintide_announced-16248_en.html

Looks very good.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, I think they need to leverage the "Looking Glass Rebirth" good will in their press. There are plenty of people who would jump on board if they heard of a LGS rebirth that wouldn't make the connection through an underworld campaign only.
Yeah. I didn't even know that Thief and SS2 were made by the same people who did Underworld until yesterday, and it took a lot of reading to put it together. Having missed the Underworld boat back in the day, I wouldn't have looked twice at this KS without Codex encouragement; but if it said "From former Looking Glass" across the top, I would have immediately been more like, holy shit, take my $.

Alchemist

Arcane
Ultima Underworld was the true roots of "popamole" RPGs amirite?
:troll:

Just kidding - I'm excited about this KS and I'm in for $20 at least (might raise it later). Their pitch is very strong - the kind of interactivity they are promising will be amazing if they can pull it off.

Darkzone

Arcane
My guess is that they land around 750k. Naturally i would wish them a 1.1mio, but also below the 1.2mio, because the Co-Op mode is not necessary.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah. I didn't even know that Thief and SS2 were made by the same people who did Underworld until yesterday, and it took a lot of reading to put it together. Having missed the Underworld boat back in the day, I wouldn't have looked twice at this KS without Codex encouragement; but if it said "From former Looking Glass" across the top, I would have immediately been more like, holy shit, take my $.

Paul Neurath seems like he might be a bit too humble and mild-mannered for his own good. Perhaps with Doug Church working at Valve he doesn't feel comfortable going full LOOKING GLASS REBORN.

Keldryn

Arcane
I keep telling myself I'm not going to back any more of these.

My daily commute is 1 to 1.5 hours each direction, and I have a two young children at home (ages 5 and 2.5), so I have very little time to actually play any of these games right now. I've installed Wasteland 2 and started a game, but it runs way too slow on my notebook -- which was actually pretty decent when I bought it in 2009.

But I keep going in at the $20 minimum pledge anyway. At this point, I'm mostly doing it because I want more of these types of games to be made, and I want to support the developers who are making them.

I'll get around to playing them someday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom